1983 gj super saloon

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
84gksigmawa

1983 gj super saloon

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Ok guys so finally doing my build thread. Got this 83 gj supersaloon by trading my rolling gk body and half a motor. To register it I had to replace the rear brake line clean up the master cylinder and fix a few small rust holes.

Here's my gk in all its hammertone glory before the swap,

http://rs44.pbsrc.com/albums/f22/ilostt ... 1421232758

My gj the night I got it
http://rs44.pbsrc.com/albums/f22/ilostt ... 1421232847

The refurbished master cylinder.

http://rs44.pbsrc.com/albums/f22/ilostt ... 1421232901

And with its new boots now registered.

http://rs44.pbsrc.com/albums/f22/ilostt ... 1421233262

Still got the bog to tidy up an respray some bits but in time. Love the hotwires and the new 215 65 14 all round.

Got a 86 gn second gen 2.6 with 5 speed there with fuel injection on it. Gonna get a ecu and turbo that motor over time and the 2.6 donkey drive that's in it can stay there for a while.
84gksigmawa

Re: 1983 gj super saloon

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Go front I added had some rust and now I have a fancy badge too
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Alright got the gn motor decreased got a few oil leaks from rocker cover to clean up.
dirty Image

Decreased

Gonna throw some heat paint on as well to spruce it all up for now gonna just gonna stay n/a due to money turbo prob won't be for a few years. Also opted out of balance shaft removal for now couldn't see a real upside at this stage. Also replaced dash top but gotta get photos of that yet.
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

All sprayed just a few brackets to go.

84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

gonna keep this the factory 2 tone?
GESigman

Post by GESigman »

Haha you beat me to the old girl by less than 24 hours, was all set to swap one of my Chryslers for it.
RWD Mitsubishi - Love the unloved
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

almost missed it myself gesigman yea keeping it 2 tone needs a respray but it'll be a while before it happens 84gksig. Gotta sort out the over heating issue with the new motor first. Image

That was within 20 kms just to my mates and back
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

to me it looks like youve dropped the magna motor strait in without changing your temp sender to the sigma one, you will find the resistances are different and that its actually not over heating at all, swap your temp sensor with what was on the engine in the car originally and all will be good.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

cant tell by the pics..but if it is a GN Astron2 block and head..and you used the factory magna efi thermostat location at the back of the manifold, then you need to use a Magna head because of the small water port in the Sigma head.

Like I said ..cant tell from the pics
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

looks like a GN block with the oil pressure switch up front near the timing cover
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

New motor isn't in yet that is the original motor overheating has a blown head. All I have done is put fuel in it since I got it haha just put the clutch on the gn motor today. Few things to do yet trying to do it all properly I plan on keeping this one love it so nice to drive.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

ah nice
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Ok motor is in Image

Bracket for the gearbox mount this car was auto so mount is further forward so I made to flat bits of bar on each side , one on top of the other. One end is bolted on with standard mount holes and bolts . Other end is bolted bolted to gearbox mount with high tensile bolts.

Will post some pictures of the floor cut to make the shifter fit. I have only a few bits left to do assuming it all goes I'll make a post of wires done where and how useing a magna ecu.
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Ok an update it's running but still drops idle randomly and seems a bit gutless going put sports exhaust on to open it up a bit more and injector cleaner to start off.
the throttle cable I bought a new motorbike brake cable then measured to length cut then soldered a ball on the end. Just drill a hole in a board melt solder into drill hole till full then keep iron in to keep soft put cable in and remove iron when cooled you have a end to clip into pedal. I used half magna accelerator houseing intake end then sigma casing from firewall over rocker cover. See picture.

solder finished product

Battery relocated to boot using 4 gauge wire to engine bay I then used a isolator switch under battery tray to join starter radio alternator wires together this saved having to extend everything to boot but to each there own.

I have mounted the ecu and control relay behind black cover under the glove box. All hidden now

Here is the wiring diagram supplied by cottees I can't take credit for it working haha I joined the by wires together from ecu plug a and the control unit under the p
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

I joined black an yellow from plug a an control unit under dash then joined to ignition switch
black and white from plug a to ignition switch an yellow and red from plug a to battery with a fuse.Fuel pump is direct from control relay black and blue wire join from close to relay so u don't get the wrong one there is 3 or 4 in loom it is next to locking clip on relay plug. The rest I didn't use is hidden away I didn't use knock sensor etc. I only used injectors air an dizzy
I use original wiring to temp gauge so it works looking at joint ecu wire for temp to original loom I think it'll work to control cold start etc. I am also hooking up thermostat fans thinking of using ecu fan trigger but may use a manual switch with power from accessories so I can't get a flat battery like last time.

The plaque is for beauty

Extractors are in also

Midnyte

Post by Midnyte »

Nice Work. Did You Change the dash internals so the automatic gear indicator light strip isn't in the centre of the two gauges anymore? :thumpsup:
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

I have it now has the manual gauges from the donor car being so original it had the original manual in the glove box with all the lil services done like new diff gearbox battery etc so I have continued this with body km's when fitted motor kms when fitted etc. It is running gutless at the moment I think the dizzy is not advancing timing so will look into that. Also developed a drop in voltage I have a suspect plug to check. it also cranking slowly any ideas guys? All appreciated
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Just an update and hoping someone could shed some light on a new problem. All running sweet waiting to find a new dizzy, currently adjusted at the dizzy to run more thanks 20 deg btdc to get it to run with as much punch as possible I don't think it's advancing with acceleration.
problem I have is sitting at drive through tonight temp sitting perfect where it always does, idleing smooth the cough and dead, I cranked it and it fired drive out of drive through with a fair bit of revs to keep it going. Went to cross the road and wouldn't do it kept dieing. Pulled over and adjusted timing to standard fired up drive home fine,gutless but smooth. this all happened within ten minutes. As I get home I notice temp gauge is down at first notch above cold I'm running magna temp sensor with a sigma gauge so it usually runs at 3/4. Wouldn't go above it and temp gauge never failed before. Any thoughts?
Cheers
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

so been a few months with the efi even became the daily for my wife for a week when her discovery 33had to ggo in. She grovelled but admitted she did enjoy booting it up the road cos it was manual and had some poke to it haha she clearly had to much fun when I received a picture of the car from the police. Lol.
few issues blew a heater hose at 11 at night on the way home luckily it was only a few doors from where we were going and I was able to cut the hose and put it back on with no hassles. 2 weeks later fuel pump starts whining and had no power, turns out a fuel line linked/collapsed so an hour later all hunky doory with a new hose.

Hope someone can help, temp and fuel gauge are reading wrong can anyone tell .e how to repair voltage rereg at the back? Maybe even a pic of it I couldn't find one with search. Second temp sender it's a magna one will it make the gauge read how off? A quarter or half too high? Cheers
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

This is what it looks like Image

and this is where you find it. Image

Google will probably be able to tell you how to test it
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Thanks sigmaproject I've found my spare gauges so I can use the spares.
this week I updated a few things re wired starter cos it still has cranking issues I think I need a reduction starter any ideas which starter I need one from a tr? Also did some browsing of sigma galant and found a thread about someone haveing rough running and was his alternator so gonna swap mine out, mine has a slight miss nothing drastic but just incase mines on its way out.
Updated the top radiator his to relieve air locks used a top hose from a gu patrol and a joiner top hose is now lower than the tank so should be good. Still runs a bit warm after 15 minutes of idle wondering if thermo is a bit small. Also a lot of turbulence in the radiator not sure if it's a blown head gasket or just from the pump.
Also swapped the rear muffler to my dual 3 inch sounds heaps better the apexi was crap.
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

So not much has happened with the car since my last post. Put a bit over 3000kms on it which was mostly trouble free. Swapped a welsh plug that was leaking.
I updated the main battery to starter lead with a 0 gauge wire. Cranks like it should now except solenoid is a bit worn so need to replace it.
Need to update fuel lines, ones leaking from being parked up.
Currently re spraying it. Not in original colours but close with pearl. Didnt want to do a rattle can job but the paint was burnt all down one side and it would have looked horrible mismatched so gone the whole thing.
How it was Image

How it is now Image

Looking forward to having everything the right colour. Hated the black wing and bonnet.