'84 Sigma Galant GL Project

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
TheMangJose

'84 Sigma Galant GL Project

Post by TheMangJose »

Hey guys just wanna share my '84 Galant. Will be building it slowly since I don't really have a lot of money and I'm just saving up from my allowance as a student. Got it for really cheap, also since I wanted to start on a project car that will be made to a track ready street car. Planning to drop a 4G63T in the future (when i have finished the list i need below) so hopefully you guys could help out on how to do it as well as other stuff :)

Well just some details and plans i have for it.
- It came with power steering and power windows however since it was abandoned only 2 of the power windows work after trying to fix it.
- Has a 4G32 with an Aisan Carb, not sure if the carb was replaced. Also 5 speed manual with a 3.9 diff.
- After working on the engine a month ago, got it running pretty well, A/C is also cold.
- Lots of rust, and needs a proper repaint since the clear coat is falling apart.
- Interior needs work, but will be putting a bucket seat, harness and a roll cage in the future so i don't really mind.
- Suspension is dead. Will be making some custom coilovers using mirage colt shocks and coil sleeves.
- Huge play in the steering, will be converting to rack and pinion. What rack and pinion do you guys suggest I use? I notice most of you guys use S13 rack and pinions, but that's out of the question since coming from the Philippines there are barely any original LHD S13s lol. A friend of mine suggested using a Lancer CK rack since that's what he used on his 83 Lancer EX with a dohc 4G63 swap.
- Recently just bought a whole rear end from an '80 Lancer GSR. Got the 4.2 diff, rear disc brakes and axles. Will upload pictures of install once I get to install it.
- Will be changing the bumper to a Galant Turbo (the one seen in wikipedia with the caption Galant Σ Turbo). Having Sushi Factory do it since they specialize in old school Japanese cars and their works are awesome. Already asked them and they said it should be easy to make basing it on a Lancer EX Turbo bumper and just sizing it up.

Here are some pictures of it. Will be posting more pictures soon!
After giving a wash 3 days ago.
With my younger brother's Galant. We bought it as a pair lol.
Notice the amount of work needed on the body.
Again lots of work needed. The last 2 pictures were taken right after we got it out of the place it was dumped and into my uncle's shop.

Thanks guys! Will update you on anything that happens soon when I have time.
geezer101

Re: '84 Sigma Galant GL Project

Post by geezer101 »

It sounds like you have got a solid plan and access to the resources to make it happen TheMangJose. The budget is always tight when you are just starting on your first project, but I bet there will be a few bargain finds and hidden treasures you will be able to put to good use. Using a rack and pinion steering set up is a good modification on Sigmas but isn't the easiest thing to install as you will find out (most worth while mods aren't easy...) Keep us up to date with your progress. :thumpsup:
TheMangJose

Post by TheMangJose »

Thanks geezer101. Yeah budget is pretty tight at the moment and the only income I get is from teaching part-time at my old high school, which is really really small but hey it's something lol. I plan to keep the car with me for a really long time anyway so it's not a problem.

Right now though I can't decide what on what to do first, convert to rack and pinion or do the coilover conversion.
Steering is really bad and the suspension is equally bad. Shocks are dead with oil leaking out i think? and the springs are rusty.

What do you guys think I should do first? Sadly don't have enough funds to do both at the same time.

Thanks!
TheMangJose

Post by TheMangJose »

Haven't updated you guys in awhile, been really busy with college. Thankfully it's our sem-break already.
Anyway updates so far on the car:
- Installed the rear disc brakes along with the 4.2 diff from a Lancer GSR
- Replaced power window motors and mechanism for all 4 windows
- Installed the bucket seat and new steering wheel.

So far those are the only things I've been able to do with the time I have. Will update more since I'm on my break :)

Also does anyone know the part number for the idler arm and pitman arm for the Galant? I can't seem to find it online, and they need to be replaced already after checking them, thanks.

Will upload pictures soon!
Tomica93

Post by Tomica93 »

nice project, can you discribe how will the front bumper look, it will be custom made or original?
TheMangJose

Post by TheMangJose »

Hi @Tomica93 it will be a custom one. Basically it will look exactly like the Lancer 1800GSR GT bumper except scaled up for the Galant or if you check wikipedia it's the picture with the Galant Σ Turbo caption, that exact bumper.

Also does anyone know if the front/rear shocks and springs of an 84 Lancer EX GSR will fit my Galant Sigma? A friend of mine is parting out his lancer and hopefully I can get his whole suspension since he's running full coil conversion already.

Thanks!