Matt's Red GN

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
d3v147

Re: Matt's Red GN

Post by d3v147 »

Had the car running again, except the alternator belt flipped and the car was running pretty hot. I guess the water pump may have been struggling when the alternator was loaded up.

Also the car decided to run on 3 cylinders after a period of time. Has spark on cylinder 2 but removing the injector plug does nothing. I had a quick look with the bore scope and it took the rocker cover off and all looked ok. I guess injector 2 must be blocked :(
d3v147

Post by d3v147 »

Needed to mod the alternator so I could adjust it properly. It was fouling on the aircon and made it almost impossible to release tension enough to get the belt on.
Was filing the alternator down a bit to relieve the last bit of fouling, then it fell out of the vice and smashed.
And my flatmates dog clawed a hole through the backdoor.

To top it all off I am still getting totally f*#ked around with clutches.

I guess it's it pretty obvious this was never meant to be

</thread>
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Awesome build so far. What is funny about some of the ideas you took from my thread is that you have the same mini lathe as I have.

And since I am an Admin, I have to ask for you to keep the language family friendly. :thumpsup:
d3v147

Post by d3v147 »

Today the Sigma decided to throw out the dipstick and a big spurt of oil on boost. I guess the old rings have given up.

I'm really not sure if I should find another block and chuck it in; do a cheap rebuild; change to another motor or just scrap the project.

If I do rebuild I have no idea what parts to use economically, and the parts cost seems like it adds up way part the point of being worthwhile quite rapidly.

Clutch is also nearly done - and that is a massive can of worms as it is.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Ditch the PVC valve and fit a big draft tube to ventilate the block. Short term of course.
d3v147

Post by d3v147 »

I have another motor now, I guess i just buy a full gasket kit and swap over the timing chain and balance shaft eliminator kit and drop the head back on. Oh and buy a starion ceramic clutch from the US.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

any reason why you wanna go with a ceramic and not organic?
d3v147

Post by d3v147 »

Standard size organic will not hold and getting a custom flywheel/clutch setup has been quoted at $1200. I'm not willing to throw that sort of cash at a 4G54.