US 78 Dodge Colt/ Mits Lancer Build.

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
trackbeast90

US 78 Dodge Colt/ Mits Lancer Build.

Post by trackbeast90 »

Hey guys, wanted to show what I'm working on over here in San Francisco, California US.

I bought this car 1/29/14 for $400 USD with the intent to rebuild her. She runs and drives as of now but still needs all the gremlins worked out. I've ran into a few problems wondering if some of the stuff in the interior is OEM or Aftermarket. I was told these cars never had AC? but they'res a huge ac box under the glove box. She is a 1.6 3 speed automatic. She may have a slight head gasket leak which I'm going to fix, as i rebuild the carb and plug up all the oil leaks. My plan's on this are going 4g54b intercooled turbo, as I'm super familiar with the starion's just need a little more advice from you guys as knowing how to get an easy bolt in drive train to handle all that power. Here are some pics and i will upload more as i progress.

Anyone know what this turn knob switch and this big ol box is for? Might have an intent to rip em out.
[URL=http://s536.photobucket.com/user/Trackcious/media/20140131_160221_zpsc787053c.jpg.html]Image
Last edited by trackbeast90 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan1249

Re: US 78 Dodge Colt/ Mits Lancer Build.

Post by Jordan1249 »

They never did have aircon but they do have heaters so thats what that box probably is

ANd for you little knob i think it might be a dash/speedo light adjuster so how bright the backing is at night

(These are just guess i dont have these things in my car so wait for one of the experts on here to confirm haha)
trackbeast90

Post by trackbeast90 »

the dash light also known as a dimmer light is on the pull light switch itself. thats what i found out when tinkering around.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

i should of read that better before posting hahah the knob to the left is air duct opener and closer and the box looks like after marker cigarette lighter
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

oh ok one of thems aftermarket then and could be anything could control your headlights maybe ?
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Which knob are you wondering about exactly ?
trackbeast90

Post by trackbeast90 »

the little turn knob switch hanging off the dash. it has a wire that goes to this big box on the passenger side.
trackbeast90

Post by trackbeast90 »

the knob I'm talking about is the one that has its own box under the dash..
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

It is an aftermarket knob. OEM fitments never have bare wires out the back (like the red one), always loomed.
Is the box it goes to the fuse box for power pick up? You say it has aftermarket air con? Could be related to that item.
Best thing to do is follow the wiring back to see where both ends go, as being aftermarket all we can do is guess. :thumpsup:

As a side note OEM never put items into crash zones which would cause occupant injury.
trackbeast90

Post by trackbeast90 »

awesome. well yeah it does. but i will just rip it out. i don't ever use air con. thanks guys. stayed tuned. anyone have experience swapping a g54b in here?
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3199 - Another US member doing the same thing.

Found that thread using the search feature - http://www.sigma-galant.com/search.php :thumpsup:
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

I ,up until recently owned a 1979 LC Lancer (thats a Plymouth Firearrow the U.S) that i fitted a 4G54B into .It was from. a japanese widebody starion.(thats a Chrysler Conquest in the U.S.!)
I installed the gearbox as well.It was easy to install because they had a version released in the U.S. only that was a 2.6LT so i just used unused nut serts on the chassis and the starion engine mounts !.Everything cleared everything.
I am unsure if you can do this with yours though...