GC khanacross car.

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Spac2

GC khanacross car.

Post by Spac2 »

Ugh - Where to begin this story?
Let's go with the beginning... A million years ago, my good mate Petey and his dad bought a red GD sedan road car with a 2-litre Astron in it, as a 'do it all' club level motorsport car. The two of them used it for motorkhanas, khanacrosses, hillclimbs, lap-dashes and super-sprints for several years. Early on, they painted metallic green, and fitted a twin-Weber'd 2.6 wideblock and converted it to be a (very basic) Sports Sedan with perspex windows and all the rest. It was running a BW gearbox, and a locked BW Sigma diff.
Somewhere along the lines, Pete bought his dad's share in the car, so it was all his.
My first ever competitive drive was in this car, at Huntley Hillclimb in 1998.

Eventually, in about 1999, one of Petey's workmates gave him a pretty clean orange GC sedan. As the GD was looking pretty shabby, the decision was made to move the GD's mechanicals into the GC, and make it a Club Car (IPRA) spec. The idea was that the extra weight wouldn't make it much slower, but that it would be way more competitive as a Club Car than as a Sports Sedan.
So we did that one weekend...

Then Petey and his dad did another deal, and the car became his dad's. His dad has... let's say, some interesting ideas about how to build a race car...(more on this later). He fitted a Bond bolt-in roll cage to suit the then-new CAMS rules, and generally set it up to be only used on the tar. At this stage, it was still quite a tidy car.

Then another Pete-and-his-dad deal went down, and the car became Pete's again (they both have automotive ADD, in case you were wondering). Pete did a few more things like fitting lengthend lower control arms to get more negative camber, and started using it for khanacross and stuff again. He got it into the mid-high teens around Wakefield Park, which is really quite good for what it is, without managing to be impressive.
Then it broke a couple of axles at successive khanacrosses, and began to fall from grace. The killer was when it broke an axle on the first run of the day at a khana that he and his missus had driven three hours to get to...

So then it sat in his yard, unloved and rusting away for five or six years until he said to me "The Galant is rust-fuct. If you want it, you can have it for free without the Webers. You can have the Webers too, if you pay for them".
And that's how the Galant became mine. The plan was to steal the 2.6 and cage out of it to fit to my newly purchased GD (which is/was to become a proper rally car, built to the Club Rally Car rules) and then send it to the tip - with rust in the GC like this, you can understand why:
There was also a hole you could put your hand through below the fuel filler flap, and one A-pillar along with both C-pillars look like this:

I didn't bother taking "before" photos because it was just a wreck - this is the closest I've got, but even this is after a I pressure-washed the hell out of it. There was a lot of black gunk, leaves, and moss all over it:

Then I started having a closer look - the paint was surprisingly good, there was no structural rust apart from the pillars... Then I was talking to my mate who's in the Light Car Club of Canberra - apparently the LCCC are going to run a series of khanacrosses close to here... Hmmm...

So the decision was made to bring the GC back to life. It will never be a pretty car, but khanacrosses are kind of the 'last chance Hilton' for rusty/battered old cars, and it made sense to use the shell with the cage in it, before spending a ton of money on the GD shell...
Last edited by Spac2 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spac2

Re: GC khanacross car.

Post by Spac2 »

Here's what's been done so far.

Bog the rear quarter:

It looks pretty reasonable from the outside, but the (blurry) inside photo shows the real story:

The boot opening had rusted, but bog is my friend...
(Yes, I got lazy on the second one...).

The driver's side A-pillar didn't have any holes in it, but was looking a bit crap with rust piting, so it got a skim of bog:

The front floor had already been brush-painted in yellow, so I just went over it.

Remember how I said Pete's dad had some interesting ideas? One of them was fitting the rollcage hoop backwards. I have no idea why he did this, but it makes the cage sit about 2" too far forward - I need that extra 2" to fit comfortably in the car...

One of the other interesting ideas was the struts... I can't even begin to explain this in words - I will take more photos when I remove & disassemble them, and you will all marvel in the wonder of Petey's Dad.

The bonnet and the RHS front guard were both too far gone, and will be replaced. Funnily enough, the replacement parts are from the old wrecked GD from a million years ago...

In case anyone was wondering, this is how you turn a GD guard into a GC one:

I'm sort of stuck now - my compressor is broken, so I can't paint the repaired/replacement parts, and I don't have a welder for the pillars (I have already bent up some repair sections, they just need welding in).
In a fit of frustration, I polished it yesterday.

I also touched up some of the daggy bits of paint - with a brush! :) Once I got over the "this is so dodgy" feeling, it was really quite a nice experience... This is the roof:

Its no show-pony, but it is about a 1000000% better than when I first dragged it home!
Spac2

Post by Spac2 »

Next is a diff and strut swap.

Pete's dad did some odd things with the strut tubes - have a look at the welds on the lower legs...
(if anyone can positively identify the stubs, please let me know).

I have some ex-TTE Celica 50mm Bilsteins, that I want to weld onto some green-strut stubs axles. If the GD rally project goes ahead, then they will be excellent rally struts and will allow for a decent brake upgrade (currently thinknig S4 RX-7 calipers will be a good start).

Diff will be swapped with a Mazda RX-5 diff. They're as tough as nails, with a big range of ratios, and LSDs are fairly cheap.
I'll have to redrill the axles from 4x120 stud pattern to 4x114.3 - am currently working out a way to DIY that. Also wondering about rear brakes - RX-5s have fairly large rear discs standard, but pads are hard to get. Swapping to Sigma/Commodore calipers will make the pad choice a LOT wider.
Wheels will be either a set of 14x6 Hotwires or 200B SX wheels.

I also want to get rid of the bloody BW box, and fit a jap one. Not a priority, but will probably happen in the future.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Good to see your trying to give it a second chance at life even if its getting thrashed in the future! Gotta love that colour, lol. Same colour as my gc, which is quite interesting. Liking the ideas so far, sounds like its going to be a cool project!
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Great story and build, good to see you are returning it to the track. The lower half of the front struts look like Sigma GH to me, no idea on the top half, lol. Interesting work indeed :P

More importantly though, is that a GC hardtop in the back ground?? What's the deal with that?
Spac2

Post by Spac2 »