GH Scorpion Build

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
mrd
God Admin

GH Scorpion Build

Post by mrd »

This is an extremely brief overview of my orange scorpion project. I should be able to at least vaguely answer most technical questions about stuff that I haven't covered in this post, please just ask me. :)

Those of you that know me might remember my sigma-galant life starting with a matt black aerosole spray GE wagon:

...which was rear ended and salvagable parts (motor etc) was put into a silver scorpion:

...which was also written off and salvagable parts transferred to the current project. Shortly after the orange Scorpion arrived the vinyl on the raised part of the roof was removed and rust holes attacked and assessed:

The car was stripped down and sent off for body work. It was originally an automatic and was at this stage modified to accept a manual gearbox:

It spent a very long time having most of the required body work done. Due to unforseen circumstances some of the work was not completed and the car was retrieved so that work could continue:

Before and after upgrading brakes and suspension:
ImageImage

Painting and modifying bonnet for scoop (the whole cold air intake/scoop setup was created back in the time of the silver scorpion):
ImageImage

Start of 2013, registered, needs to be finished to be used as a daily driver for a while. Ready to be sent off for remainder of body work and full spray:

The engine at this stage looks like this (lightened flywheel, balance shaft removed, lumpier cam, head/valves/carb/jetting etc adjusted accordingly, extractors):

Stripped for paint:

And currently (with much more work still to do) it looks like this (many more current photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/112723912@ ... 107699053/ ):
A112H

Re: GH Scorpion Build

Post by A112H »

Glad to see it back together :thumpsup: Looks awesome (H)
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

Had trouble with stock shift stick pulling out (here), so modified a new Mookeeh MK1 Starion shifter to suit my early model 4 bolt jap 5 spd setup. Now all I need to do is decide which awesome "sickspeed" knob to buy next. :D
Gazzav

Post by Gazzav »

Good work!!!
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Oh wow - I just realised you are mrd :)
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
ddt

Post by ddt »

Schwiing!
beautiful car and top quality pics, Mr D.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
RXCORP

Post by RXCORP »

Long time Buddy!

Love the work!!
Oldfart

Post by Oldfart »

Saw thus machine a month or two back, looks rooly good in the flesh.
The older I get the better I used to be
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

Love the car well done :)

is that a hemi orange colour or something similar?

Having a bit of a problem with a few suppliers trying to find the correct Australian Paint Codes, as apparently the US ones are different
My 1980 GH Scorpion Restoration Project - The Oz Snowmans Scorpion - Meet B1 and B2 - The Grey Ghost
MalsGalant

Post by MalsGalant »

Hi MRD, I am new to this forum and require info on your GH Scorpion rebuild. I have a 1973 Chysler Galant and cannot get any disc rotors for it. All the posts I have seen, research I have done indicates that the GH Scorpion Struts will fit the Galant, I note with hope in my heart that you have been able to upgrade your and changeover to a different front strut system and keep the four stud pattern for the wheels. Can you let me know what the combination of components are please. Regards Mal
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

theozsnowman wrote:Love the car well done :)

is that a hemi orange colour or something similar?

Having a bit of a problem with a few suppliers trying to find the correct Australian Paint Codes, as apparently the US ones are different
Sorry a few of these slipped by me unnoticed (I'm a busy boy!). I believe the name of the color was originally "Spitfire Orange"... If you give the guys at Acclaim crash repairs in Croydon, Vic a call (guy I spoke to was Max) they were able to color match for me and may be kind enough to point you in the right direction somehow if you are still struggling. :thumpsup:
mrd
God Admin

Post by mrd »

MalsGalant wrote:Hi MRD, I am new to this forum and require info on your GH Scorpion rebuild. I have a 1973 Chysler Galant and cannot get any disc rotors for it. All the posts I have seen, research I have done indicates that the GH Scorpion Struts will fit the Galant, I note with hope in my heart that you have been able to upgrade your and changeover to a different front strut system and keep the four stud pattern for the wheels. Can you let me know what the combination of components are please. Regards Mal
Do you still need help with this? The car is a long way away from me at the moment so will need to wait a couple of weeks to answer this one if you still need info.