Granny Spec Galant Goes Bosozoku

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
lchilds82

Re: Granny Spec Galant Goes Bosozoku

Post by lchilds82 »

Was good seeing the little beast today, looks like its in good hands too
4GB63t
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

haha likewise man! thanks heaps again, will let you know how i go hopefully this weekend.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

So over the weekend i ended up pulling the top of the carby of and thoroughly cleaned it out with carby cleaner and air. After doing it the first time and reassembling it all up i managed to get rid of the flat spot but it wouldn't idle..
Was like what the.. Anyway... Pulled off a second time and thought i might've layed the top of the carb down on the float and maybe slightly bent the adjustment out, so adjusted a bit back and put it back on.
Then i was back to where i started.. Idled fine but still had a flat spot. In the end i pulled it off one more time and got a mate with a bit more carby sense to come around to have a look.
Adjusted the float out once more as the fuel in the bowl window was well above the dot in the middle. Also pulled out the main jets and cleaned them out.
Now this time i finally put it back together.. started her up and bam! Came to life with no issues and no flatspots! I was so determined yesterday to get it running right i didn't get dinner till 9oclock!
Lastly took it for a drive last night and tested the throttle and carby throughout the rev range. It didn't miss a beat and loved every minute. So stoked now.

So fingers crossed that the major issues have been sorted now and i can get onto enjoy driving it and replace/modify the vehicle with better and bigger things in the near future. Getting keen now.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Awesome to hear mate, cant wait to see this in person :thumpsup:
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Yeah so keen for the drive down :).

Now i just need to get this guard blocked down and painted asap. Sourcing myself a cheap tsurikawa (hang ring) as well as sandblasting my 100 spokers and my other set of meshies which depending on which set is done to go on the galant.

Also i forgot to mentioned i picked up 5 or 6 box's worth of gc/gd galant gear as well as a rear bumper, front sunvisor, rear venetians and so much galant stuff for..... wait for it.... NOTHING!

Things are coming together nicely ;).
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Semi jealous of the sund visor, venetians and rear bumper lol :P

i need to source myself a hang ring for the lols, almost got one off of a bloke who was in japan the other week, posted a picture onto facebook saying "Im in up garage, how many people want hang rings" lol, missed out sadly.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Lol i couldn't believe what i got hey.. going to have three sets of damn fender badges now.... all good lol.

yeah i reckon they are cool as.. damn that would've been a bummer! I was going to just source a rip off one for the meantime of the ol' ebay.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

yeah, might do the same, might get myself a Mk2 golf front lip aswell while im there :P
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

oh now your talking! front lip for me will come when i can source one :P
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Alright i really need to get some more pictures but here's some for the meantime.. Managed to get the guard sprayed.. only twos problems were i got a decent run on the arch itself so tryed to wetsand it out and bamm rubbed through in a few spots.. Wasn't to happy to say the least.. Going to try respray that strip around the arch only as thats where the rub throughs are with backmasked tape and hopefully just buff it up and should look ok.. The other problem was that the paint shop had matched the bonnet for the colour as it was right next to it and was reasonably new paint (been resprayed at some point) and even it side by side to the guard doesn't match. So keen in the future to just respray the whole thing in one colour lol. Anyway the rest of the guard came out pretty flat and smick! Latest work recently was me sandblasting my mesh wheels and attempting to blast one of my 100 spoker wheels in a mates container/sandblaster setup.. 2 hrs later to finish the one 100 spoker wheel opposed to 20 minutes per each mesh wheel face! Least i know now.. anyway i got the face of the mesh wheels primed today in the middle ready to paint it black in the upcoming week.. Then going to start from 320 till 2000 on the lips to try get a polished alloy finish... Will take some work but hopefully they will turn out alright. Anyway here's some pictures of whats been happening.

Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Looking good mate :thumpsup:
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

cheers man. bit of a disappointment with the colour match.. but a few of the panels are original so i gotta expect some colour difference's... Keen to respray it in the future though ;).

Now onto getting the wheels painted/polished up and buying 2 - 3" blocks for the rear and either choppies in the front or chopped king spring low's as i can't find any sl or ssl springs for the gc/gd galant...
Mind you this is a temporary option until i figure out what i'll do suspension wise in the future.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Looking good mate :thumpsup:

For the fronts, the part number you're after is.

KHFL-116 (65mm lowered king springs)

KDRL-83 is 35mm
N/A ALL THE WAY
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

cheers 75glant!

65mm lowered springs sounds pretty good to me! Least something to work off anyway.. Just trying to work out what blocks i'd need in the rear to match now.. 2 - 3"... hmm...
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

75glnt are u sure they r for gcs and gds because they arent listed there?
A112H

Post by A112H »

My hardtop runs 2.5 blocks in the rear

75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

They're the listing on king for ga-gh... I know they work as I'm running the KDRL-83's in my galant. Took them out of the stock gb struts, and went straight into the gh struts...

Also, for the rears, I'd run a 2.5" block :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

This needs plenty of low and the wheels put on it ASAP.

I'm keen to see if you can get the boso look pulled off. I think you will only be able to pull off mild before the cops pull you over.

I now have 100mm clearance all round (excluding exhaust which is getting adjusted soon) and I now get a lot more attention from the boys in blue. It's either that or the 14x9's on the rear lol
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

@A112H, So you reckon the 2.5" drop in the rear is plenty? I was leaning towards 3" but being a daily unsure on what cop attention i'd get lol.

@75glnt, I'll look into getting those springs as at the moment its sitting way to high for my liking! Will look into coilovers later down the track though...

@77galantv6, Yeah your telling me! The wheels i'm semi restoring are only temporary just to get something a bit better on the car until i can purchase some much cooler and wider wheels. Yeah i'm only looking at a mild boso look at the moment as it is the daily rig now.. So exhaust will have to wait until i get some decent low,wheels and other accessories sorted.. Looking at a mooneyes steering wheel and 300mm bubble shifter to lol. Oh that sucks! I'm lucky that in the ol' bundaberg its not to bad when it comes to the "popo". As long as i don't drive it at night time i'm usually sweet lol. I'm sure the 14x9's would have something to do with it! Makes my 14x7 look so small! lol.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah, 2.5 is heaps. I don't get any police attention, well not negative anyway. Got a few good comments in a RBT station a few weeks ago, lol. But I have sat next to them at lights, overtaken then on a multi lane if they are going slow. Never had an issue at all.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

By the way 75glnt, These the exact springs your talking about for a 65mm drop?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/King-Springs ... 0976267116
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Ohh ok sweet. Will do for the meantime.. Found a kit here.. http://www.climaxsuspension.com.au/stor ... 5SVQ%3D%3D

Thats good then.. you's live in states where cops are worse from what i've been told lol. Hopefully i fly under the 'radar" :P
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yep :thumpsup: that's the ones mate..
N/A ALL THE WAY
71GA

Post by 71GA »

King springs don't appear to list those KHFL-116 springs for galants on the online catelogue. Do you know of anyone using these springs 75glnt? Im currently running the KDRL-83 in my ga and its still rather high.

Cheers,

Marty
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

It's because they're not listed for them :P

I called king springs and told them I had the KDRL-83's and wanted another inch or 2 lower... He gave me this part number after I told him I want the exact same, but lower..
N/A ALL THE WAY
71GA

Post by 71GA »

I see, i think i will have to give them a go then.

Cheers,

Marty
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Post the results Marty :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Bad news..

Going to be a tight push to get the galant to the all japan day this weekend as i haven't got the steering box yet and now having issues with the rear wheel bearings.. unsure if parts will arrive in time.. and don't want to risk it being a fair way from home.. 50/50 at the moment.. but i will be there if the galant decides to play up i'll just find another vehicle to go down in lol.

Good news..

Managed to get all the centres of my wheels painted.. it looks crazy! Alot more flake then what i intended.. but the end result looks so cool. Just need to polish up the lips of the wheels and put tyres back on and done. Some of the cool things are finally starting to happen.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Pics or :ban:

:lol:
N/A ALL THE WAY
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

yeah i will get some pictures soon.. so busy as of late! culling list of a few cars so i don't get in shit for acquiring a ja starion which is to reshell my other one! other good news is my steering box arrived today and managed to fit it up and works a treat! so stoked that now its done and the rear wheel bearings to. however there is still a slight noise in the rear from 70km/hr and above.. suspect bearing/s in the differential is to blame.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.