Granny Spec Galant Goes Bosozoku

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Gormzz

Re: Granny Spec Galant Goes Bosozoku

Post by Gormzz »

So i got a new steering box in.. rear wheel bearings done in recent times.. but even after that i still have a noise from about 70km/hr and up.. suspect the differential is to blame..

Also the biggest concern at the moment is the fact i'm blowing a bit of blue smoke and noticed my oil being full is going down fairly rapidly since i filled it up last.. lasting maybe a week or two at the most...
So what should i do.. try find a replacement engine to drop in, pull motor apart and most likely replace the rings or lastly do a different swap for a bit more power but still straight forward and can be done hastefully.. bearing in mind this is my only drive car at the moment and still need to get to work and so forth... but at same time don't want to be forking out for oil every week/two...

Thoughts guys?!
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Biggest bang for buck swap is to a narrow block 4G52 or 4G54, from what ive read, all you need to do is remove the radiator spacer/shroud and bolt the radiator straight to the rad support, and extend your alternator wiring to the opposite side of the engine bay, i have heard of there being issues with them not bolting up to 4 speeds though, however i dont see why that would be as the 4 speed and 5 speed box are extremely similar.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Well Gormzz, it looks like engine swap time. If it is a matching numbers car I'd be tempted to rebuild the engine, but if not - now's as good as time than ever to go shopping for some extra poke! Use the search function to get the info you need to know in regards to either getting a bolt in engine upgrade or a complete drivetrain (engine + gearbox) :thumpsup:
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Yeah biggest thing with going a engine swap is i'd have to convert to manual also.. bearing in mind this is auto... and i wouldn't want to stay auto if i was going to a new motor.. thing is though unless i can source a cheap 4g54 or alike nearing a straight bolt in and borrow my dads car or something for a week or two otherwise i will have to go down the honing block, new piston rings route in the current engine as its my only personal drive car at the moment.. whats a decent price i'd be looking at for a good condition 4g54 or alike? Also would i be able to put a starion 5 speed behind it? Throwing some ideas around at the moment...
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

As long as you get a narrow block, and a narrow box. It'll go together :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Well the 5 spd starion box is a wideblock from memory.. this is doing my head in at the moment, to many projects and the one drive car is needing attention lol. Going to just top up with oil and try additives to try give the engine a bit more life until a further decision is made..
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Still haven't made a decision yet.. know of a guy locally who has a 4g51 1850 motor/manual gearbox from a sigma.. apparently still goes and so forth.. but i can't find much information on them..

Besides that i now need a drivers door window regulator as i cannot put it up and down anymore.. For the meantime i will just use oil additives and keep topping up the oil until a solution is reached..
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Gormzz wrote:Besides that i now need a drivers door window regulator as i cannot put it up and down anymore.. For the meantime i will just use oil additives and keep topping up the oil until a solution is reached..
Where are you located?
I think I may have one here?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Bundaberg, Queensland! I would be forever in your debt if i was to obtain one.. Meant to replace my drivers seat as its collapsed but will be looking into a bride or bucket seat in the future...
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Refer for sale thread... Regretful sale and only letting go for the right price...
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

What did you end up doing with the engine? Rebuilding it or dropping in a 4g52/54
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

ended up just redoing the head and reassembling. runs good and is very clean.. its really regretful sale...
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.