GJ wagon + ecotec...Finally happening

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
brendon

GJ wagon + ecotec...Finally happening

Post by brendon »

So I’ve finally pulled my finger out and started this conversion. Bought the kit about 4 years ago, but buying a house and other excuses got in the way.

Anyways here it is:
1983 GJ 2.6L 5 sp Sigma Wagon SE – Texas gold

The driveline from a 2001 VX commodore S 3.8L Ecotec with getrag 5 sp (~180,000km)

Pat Gardner V6 conversion kit. Mounts, wiring, BCM module etc.

4g54 out, served me well but a rooted bottom end bearing was as good as any excuse to start the swap.

The mount from the Kit means it either can’t have air conditioning or it needs to be relocated. (V6 conversion do a kit but over $300 and puts it up near the alternator so might look crap, still waiting for an email back from them, if they have pics). I’m going to make up my own a/c brack which moves the compressor forward but keeps it in the same location, will need a separate belt, haven’t quite sussed that one out yet. (anyone got any ideas)

Decided to put the motor in separate to the gear box. Luckily I did as it was a bit fiddly to get the engine in on the mounts (2 people would have made it a lot easier)

Looks like it was made for it, plenty of room

Gearbox was next, instructions from the kit say you need to ‘modify’ belt the transmission tunnel so it fits (kit based on the t5 or t700 box not the getrag). Luckily the getrag fit without fouling anywhere, so no need for tunnel mods.

The kit transmission cross member is rubbish it doesn’t line up with the body (not even close- others have had the same issues) so I’ll have to make my own. I’m using the commodore mount so spares are easier to get.

This is where I’m currently up to considering installing the new diff first to ensure everything lines up. Probably going a R31 diff but the verdict is still out
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
ozdusterdave

Re: GJ wagon + ecotec...Finally happening

Post by ozdusterdave »

V6 is awesome.I know from experience..that is going to be lots of fun to drive once it is finished.
lance

Post by lance »

:thumpsup: Will be a fun ,reliable and pratical ride.
I wouldnt be happy about that cross member and id make it known.
You pay good money for a kit so in my opinion it should work.
brendon

Post by brendon »

thanks guys, that what Im hoping for fun, reliable easy to get parts cheap etc.

yeah I'm sending off an email to them once work dies down a bit. it is pretty bad. see photo not sure how its right for a sigma

In other news I got an r31 diff on the weekend. just got to do some measuring up to see which way to go now.
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Turn it around???
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

^what he said :)
brendon

Post by brendon »

whoops helps if I put the right one up :facepalm:

see its much closer but the holes are out by ~20mm, was going to make a whole new one, but found the additional instruction sheet in the bottom of the box, which tells you to use the VN g/box mount and an adapter (with the kit) as well as and it will work with the getrag box. so looks like I only need to extend the plates where it bolts to the body.
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
brendon

Post by brendon »

slight update.

Engine & gearbox are now bolted in, needed to modify the rear cross member as it was a fair bit out, but its good now.
decided to go down a built in sump route rather then a swirl pot and a lift pump etc.

so got that all made up and had it welded to the tank today.

83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
brendon

Post by brendon »

slight update.

Engine & gearbox are now bolted in, needed to modify the rear cross member as it was a fair bit out, but it’s good now. V6 conversion were willing to replace the mount but it was just easier for fix it myself

I was able to use the VX mount bracket with the VN rubber mount some slight modification to the VX bracket was required. The instructions for using the extension housing are wrong for the getrag (I have further info {an email I sent to v6 conversion} if people are interested, however pat still believe it bolts up not sure how, either way I have a solution.

So now that the engine/box are bolted up, I turned my attention to the fuel system. I decided to go down a built in sump route rather than a swirl pot and a lift pump etc (less expensive (one pump not 2) and more reliable as there is less components).

Its made of 1.8mm plate which I got bent up and has a capacity of about 1.7L. I used a 40mm holesaw to create some ‘baffles’ in the original tank. a speedflow -10AN weld on fitting was added to feed the pump. A local fab shop welded it up to the tank; overall I’m happy with the result. I will be using the POR15 tank sealer to ensure it fully sealed and lasts.

Next stop is wiring and the gear selector mount, the VX commodore uses a remote set up (bolt to the body) for NVH but I plan to bolt the selector to the box similar to this getrag set up on BMWs
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory