GA Rally car.

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Spac2

GA Rally car.

Post by Spac2 »

So... The Alpine rally is rapidly approaching and I've got three rally cars here that are variously broken, in pieces, or simply not finished - and no motivation to fix the one that's easiest to fix....
There's only one logical thing to do at a time like that: Buy another car!
I searched obessively for a month for something fairly ready to go, but there was nothing worth piddling on. A couple of interesting things came up, but either turned out to be less-than-promised, or were sold very quickly.*

I ended up dragging home a GA khanacross car. It has a good weld-in cage, a CAMS log book, roof-vent, hydraulic handbrake but not much else going for it - the paintjob was horrible, the 2-litre Astron is smokey and running like a bag of pooh, no seats, the wiring is awful, etc. But the shell is solid and the price was right (less than you'd pay to have the cage fitted).
The pics tell the story:

Got it home on Saturday lunchtime. This was Saturday afternoon:

...by late Monday arvo, it looked more like this:

Its very much a jam-job respray (industrail enamel!), but it is a million times better than the "painted with a mop" paintjob it previously had.

Had a bit of time yesterday, so fitted up the tail-lights etc (with some 'help' from my daughter...):

I bought nine 200B SX alloys with rally tyres from a mate after he crashed his KE55/TE37 rally car a few years ago - they've sat around since then, but the Galant has finally given them a home. :)

Also fitted the old Marsh rally seats that have been hanging around since I stripped my old Volvo 164 rally car in 2008.
The navigator's seat was easy - cut the standard rear seat mounts out, and pretty much just bolt it to the floor - sits low and as far back as the rules allow, and puts the nav in between the strongest part of the cage.

The driver's one was a lot more work. I couldn't put it as far back as the nav's seat because then I couldn't reach the pedals... Mving the seat forward put it on top of the standard front mounting box section, which put my helmet hard up against the rollcage.
Solution:

There were a ton of small niggles to work through, including the need to make a spacer for the RHS-rear corner of the seat mounts because it is on the lowest point of the floor - but I got there in the end and am very happy with the strength, stiffness and comfort of the mountings. I will weld in a piece of RHS between the sill and the tunnel to replace the stiffness I lost by cutting the old one out - but I need to get the car mobile first, so I can take it to work where I can use the good welder.

The plan from here is to:
fit the 4G32 from the never-started-project rally car;

Fit the 4.875 Mazda RX-3 LSD (looks like it will bolt straight in! Slightly stronger axles, less-obscenely priced LSDs and a much wider range of ratios). Will get some 1" 4x110 to 4x114.3 adaptor plates, to avoid having mis-matched stud patterns, and to maximise the wheel-track. The Mazda diff also has Commodore rear calipers on S2 RX-7 rotors, so its an easy brake upgrade too;

Fit Ferodo DS2500 or DS3000 front pads;
Fit the Commodore front Bilsteins that are currently in a mate's RX-5 rally car (inside Sigma strut bodies);
Fit the rest of the rally gear (Terratrip, intercom, driving lights, etc);
Rewire - apparently the previous-to-previous owner was an auto electrician.... it's certainly a rat's nest of wires!

Stuff I still haven't figured out:
Rear shocks. A mate has an old GB rally car with some Bilsteins in the rear, and he's talking about going to coil-overs, so I will try to buy the Bilsteins from him;
Eh, my mind has gone blank... There's plenty more, but you get the idea.
Last edited by Spac2 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
75glnt

Re: GA Rally car.

Post by 75glnt »

Nice! Looks much better now :thumpsup:

Specs on the 4g32?
N/A ALL THE WAY
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

If you need any odds & ends stuff to get you over the line .... call me :thumpsup:

I have a set of good s/h DS3000 pads here to fit GA/GB calipers if you want ? (ex Rowdy's Gemini - same pad - but I have never got around to fitting them). That said, Dinta runs the GC/GD disc & caliper combo on his (straight bolt on) because it gives more pad area.

I'll talk to you in detail about the RX3 rear conversion at the Alpine ! I desperately need a lower ratio diff .....
Spac2

Post by Spac2 »

75glnt, The 4G32 is a big unknown. It's got a pair of 45mm DCOEs and a set of extractors on in, but that's all I know for sure. People who knew the donor car keep saying things like "I think it was a 1770" and "It might even have a #5 cam in it", but never anything definite.
I'm going to rip the head off when I get the motor back here, so I'll get my head around it then.

-----------

Dave, thanks - I got your message on FB (eventually...).
The car has "GH non-green" struts in it already, so I think I'll keep the Sigma II calipers on it. I've inhereted a pair of DS2500s to suit Commodore calipers (from Jen's RX-2...), which look like they will fit into the Sigma II calipers... I'll use them if they fit, otherwise I'll go to DS3000s.

What ratio diff is in your's?
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

I'm still running the stock rear end with a 3.9 :( .... albeit with one of John Rawson's "spring-type" LSDs

Ideally I would love a 4.2 or 4.4
Spac2

Post by Spac2 »

Might have a set of 4.2s available, depending on what we do with the orange GC.
Spac2

Post by Spac2 »

Long over-due update! There are a few photos missing because Photobucket has decided to reject about 40% of the photos I try to upload. :@

Made a new centre console:

There's two battery isolator switches - the one on the left is a battery isolator, the one on the right is the ignition switch. I haven't figured out a better source of high-current switches that are $19 from SuperCheap...

Also made a Terratrip mount that spaces the T'Trip back so that the nav can reach it:

Jam-job brush repaint of the engine bay. I'd love to have stripped it all back and sprayed it, but the effort vs reward vs time available meant that I brushed it. Still a huge improvement over the old black, brush job...

Got the 4G32 back off a mate & fellow forum member (long story, all good). The hoped-for #5 cam turned out to be a reground #1...
... but the motor seems very clean inside, and the double valve springs suggest nice stuff.

Engine is in, Webers are cleaned out and installed.

Extractors from the old GA don't actually fit. The old car had a very short (narrow side-to-side) gearbox cross member, where this car has a wide one - the extractors try to go straight through the X-member. Not sure if I'll convert the car to a narrow X-mem, or bend the extractors.

Damo isn't selling his Bilsteins, so I'll have to buy new ones. Thanks to DaveTrees and his contacts, I've discovered that the shocks from a FJ55 Landcrusier (among others) will fit straight in.

I also started on the rest of the rewire.

Then work shuddered to a halt, because I bought this:
(Crap photo taken from video footage, sorry).
It's a bit of a story, but the short version is that the Capella belonged to a mate. I'd been chasing him without joy for a fortnight when I gave up on him and bought the Galant. He rang me the next day and said "Yeah, I'll sell it"... It needs sorting, but is a proven, reliable and fundamentally sound car that is a lot of fun, so is the safer bet to take to the Alpine.
That said, I think the RX-2 will be resold after the Alpine, but the Galant will stay.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

More pics of the console at all?? I'm considering making one and need ideas :)
N/A ALL THE WAY