1979 Datsun Scorpion

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
C_Fernance

Re: 1979 Datsun Scorpion

Post by C_Fernance »

84GKSIG wrote:ive actually seen a GK/GN with a diesel engine conversion and it looked like it belonged there as well, the conversion was done nicely
The Sapporo was actually available with the 4d55 turbo diesel engine as standard in Japan.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

This thread just gave me a good giggle... lols at all you

*now please continue :)
Monk wrote:Well with very minor work, most of an S chassis will fit into the front of the scorpion. Coilovers, lcas, knuckles, hubs, brakes. Was going to have a go at fitting an R33 crossmember and rack and pinion setup as well so it will actually steer. Unlike its current 4.5 turns from lock to lock.
i looked at that, and then theres still the problem of steering. sigma/scorpion steering is terrible.
any amount of lock causes toe changes and turns your drift into a doughnut.

i ended up taking a S15 front end, cutting both niss and mits crossmembers and mounting the nissan xmember (and steering rack, arms, links and struts, 4 pots, coilovers etc) into my GL scorpion
custom steering linkage had to be made and still to be completed properly.

ive also got the complete S15 rear end, which ill be shoehorning into the scorp when i get time to scratch myself.
but ive kept the astron. swapped some internals and done some porting and added a 35R and injection.

this also came about as its a rust bucket. i bought it as a daily, but it started to bleed not long after i got it home and the bodgy bog job showed its true colours.
Insert witty one liner here -->
Monk

Post by Monk »

Yeah I noticed the complete lack of steering the moment I got the car. The other option was a steering reducer inline in the steering shaft.
Disrespecting.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

i wouldnt use a reducer, just fuck it off.
the mitsi design is no good for drift. and the geometry goes out when you lower it.

unless you want to change the pivot points and steering arm length to improve it, but i think thatll throw out the bump steer even further also.
i drew it all up and had it analysed and some of my engineer tech head friends said it wasnt worth dicking with if the nissan swap was possible.
Monk

Post by Monk »

The only thing that has be worried is making an intermediate shaft from the rack to the column.
Disrespecting.
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

First thread I've read in ages - why did I pick this one! Sittin on the fence, newly registered on a Sigma forum posting up a pics giving the Astron Motor the finger will no doubt put noses out of joint. Jase being a passionate Mitsi man can sometimes get fired up in defence of the logo too though so I I'll call it a draw!

The value of our cars - that will be debated for a while yet.

Cross dressing - never been a fan but sometimes it is required. There are some killa 60's Colts being built in Australia at the moment and two that I can think of were "butchered" and should have stayed original. Another one already had a Mazda motor in it so the new owner is just making the best out of a bad situation by making it into a VG30 Turbo stonka drag car :).

Now back on the build thread, my mates old SR20 Turbo Scorpion was a weapon back in the day. I wasn't really a fan of opting for the Nissan motor at the time but the car was well done and it was bloody quick! The irony is even with the conversion the car ended up being sold for bugger all, changed hands a few times, then got wrecked.
Monk

Post by Monk »

Been here since 2009 and have owned many an astron. Also driven some proper tough 2.6s. So it was a very well informed flipping off of a dead astron :)
Disrespecting.
Monk

Post by Monk »

Wow, I was the 16th person to join this forum according to the member list. OG as fuck.
Disrespecting.
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

Each to there own. read the first two pages of this topic.
Arguing by print REALLY

And its just goes on and on REAL MATURE FELLAS>
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

So what is the end result you are after?
Are you building a drift car out of it? If so, what are you going to do with the rear end?

I have no problem's with drivetrain conversions. There are 2 I'd like to do myself either Honda Vtec into a Galant wagon, or the opposite end on the spectrum full electric.

As stated above, keep us up to date with what you're doing and how you're doing it.
I'm just a little bit interested in this.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Monk

Post by Monk »

Cheap drift/rally project. Getting it ready for Winton Matsuri in November.
Disrespecting.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

For the record;

I think what you're doing monk is pretty cool.

It's just I'm a mitsu fan and as stated, my nose was one that got out of joint. But only because of my previous posts.

I'd like to see this thing in action
N/A ALL THE WAY
Monk

Post by Monk »

I've been talking to an engineer and he is willing to sign off on it if everything is up to spec. Might be getting club/street rego and I can come to events so you guys can hate me in person :P
Disrespecting.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

Monk wrote:The only thing that has be worried is making an intermediate shaft from the rack to the column.
i found a mazda fwd with a suitable set of uni joints that suited the rack.
i had to shorten the scorp column, then machine it back and drill it so the lock bolt holds it.
i then also welded it for good measure.

but the angles are too sharp and you can feel the uni's rotating as you turn. so i will revisit this before its finished.
but its fine to drive around the yard.
Monk

Post by Monk »

Picked up a 32 K frame today, need a 33 one as well to work out which will sit the engine in the right spot.
Disrespecting.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

got any plans with what your gonna do with the diff?
Monk

Post by Monk »

Well a few people have told me that Triton 2wd and Pajero front diff gears will fit. Planning on getting another ratio like a 4.1 to 4.6 to suit the RB a bit better. Other than that just a weldy for now.

If it blows up I'll put an R31 or falcon diff in the rear.
Disrespecting.
Oldfart

Post by Oldfart »

I have just joined this site and have been reading old posts to get a feel for this site and see what most are up to. This particular thread has covered a lot of ground, everything from just mechanical respect to value of older cars. I'm an older bloke who has covered a bit of ground on the vehicle side and I appreciate a vehicle for what it is. I have an old 1978 Scorpion (Or my daughter has and I drive it) similar to the one converted here but has an original 2 litre engine with auto. It's hardly a power house but makes a good cruiser and with the speed limits and the way roads are 100 K's is a good speed. As far as early Mitsubishi's being crap cars I can't agree, they were finished to a higher standard than locally produced cars like Falcons and Holden's. I was in the motor trade at the time and worked on second hand and new vehicles.
Now to the point of my post, how is the subject of this thread progressing? Been just over a month and no updates, is this going to be one of those for sale adds? "For sale Scorpion project car, all the hard work done just some minor hook up issues".
There is racing mentioned in the first couple of pages of this thread, what sort of racing? Surely drifting is not considered racing? Racing infers one car beating another by being faster, drifting is more wanking than racing. For fast skilful sideways action there is speedway, how many drift drivers race speedway? For rallying a car has to be ADR'd and rego'd? What other sort of racing class would a converted street family car be competitive in?
So how is this project progressing? Has it been scrapped or is it still going? If it's finished how bout some piccies?
The older I get the better I used to be
A57C

Post by A57C »

75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Oldfart wrote:I have just joined this site and have been reading old posts to get a feel for this site and see what most are up to. This particular thread has covered a lot of ground, everything from just mechanical respect to value of older cars. I'm an older bloke who has covered a bit of ground on the vehicle side and I appreciate a vehicle for what it is. I have an old 1978 Scorpion (Or my daughter has and I drive it) similar to the one converted here but has an original 2 litre engine with auto. It's hardly a power house but makes a good cruiser and with the speed limits and the way roads are 100 K's is a good speed. As far as early Mitsubishi's being crap cars I can't agree, they were finished to a higher standard than locally produced cars like Falcons and Holden's. I was in the motor trade at the time and worked on second hand and new vehicles.
Now to the point of my post, how is the subject of this thread progressing? Been just over a month and no updates, is this going to be one of those for sale adds? "For sale Scorpion project car, all the hard work done just some minor hook up issues".
There is racing mentioned in the first couple of pages of this thread, what sort of racing? Surely drifting is not considered racing? Racing infers one car beating another by being faster, drifting is more wanking than racing. For fast skilful sideways action there is speedway, how many drift drivers race speedway? For rallying a car has to be ADR'd and rego'd? What other sort of racing class would a converted street family car be competitive in?
So how is this project progressing? Has it been scrapped or is it still going? If it's finished how bout some piccies?
There's a couple ways "racing" can be interpreted.. Fastest car and fastest time for just a start. Myself, I love drifting! It takes a lot of skill to drift and a well built car to match. There's a Motorsport called "drift racing", which seems like a time attack but with bonus points for style (angle, speed and execution). And the one with the best run (both style and time added), wins. Just like a race :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
Oldfart

Post by Oldfart »

I have seen a "Drift competition" on some foreign telly. It seemed more an exhibition than anything else. It was a fairly high level yank event with the drivers wearing funny hats and talking in a strange vocabulary of slang. There's no doubt they were clever drivers and it took a lot of skill to be both in line and working together.
I'd put drifting exhibitions in the synchronised swimming class of stuff, with sync swimming just having a bigger following. Drift drivers could be just as talented in the artistic movement and exhibition aesthetics.
Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking sync swimming in anyway, the contestants have to be very clever and work together to a high level of skill. The same as drift drivers except drivers don't have to be as fit. I'm sure real race drivers do have respect of some sort for drift drivers, it's just hard to find any reference.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

lol @ Oldfart
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

American drift is where you have gone wrong there Oldfart. Japanese drift is a very different animal. Yes it has a small following in Australia but I would be fairly sure it has a greater audience than the awesome sport of synchronised swimming.
I am not a big fan, mainly because of the people that are, more than the sport itself but do enjoy the Japanese comp.
Now if you really want to talk a waste of money, and time with a vehicular bent you need to look at drag racing. You will notice I said Money and time, no mention of technology, there is a reason for that :P
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

whats wrong with drag racing?????
Built with pride, Driven in anger
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Drag racing is very scientific, a huge engineering feat in maintaining the entire power trains together with so much energy being released all at once. The drivers are incredibly courageous, the teams highly skilled. The whole sport (in the USA at least) is well funded, professionally run and greatly followed. To rubbish such a sport is just dumb.

Synchronized swimming is very competitive, takes great skill, huge strength, and incredible lungs. It is quite enjoyable to watch female synchronized swimming. Maybe I missed your point on what this has to do with a FEKKING DATSUN SCORPION.

Now back to the topic...
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

flash is spot on

The only thing thats basic is the track they drive on.

Like every other form of motorsport, regardless if its circuit, drifting, rally etc....suspension, power (more specifically, power delivery), weight and weight transfer, (in the faster classes) aerodynamics, grip, gearing...it all relates to a faster car

The one thing most people don't realise, is themental side of things........too many "fully sick" guys think "oh yeah, 1/4 mile straight...just go flat out".....if you have that attitude, then u've lost the race.

In DYO racing (dial your own), you have to be absolutely spot on with your reaction and your timing with your car......every event i've been in, i've had the slowest car in the feild.......and i've ALOT more races against far more powerful cars (than mine) than ive lost....purely on me knowing what to do...and when to do it.

Think about this....how many times ahve you dragged someone at the lights.....how many times you've circuit,rallied or drifted against someone on the street
Last edited by Scorpma82 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldfart

Post by Oldfart »

Good evening Mr Flash, drifting was mentioned in the afformentioned thread about the Datsun/Scorpion. I was merely commenting on drifting as an exibition more than a motor sport, just as sycn swimming is good as you have stated. I feel your selling yourself short just by being obsessed by the female sync swimming, the males have a lot to offer I'm sure you'll agree.

Now back on topic as you suggested Mr Flash, has the subject of the original post progressed? Are there any more photo's? Has the thread subject machine been "Racing"?
A112H

Post by A112H »

My Nana can accelerate to the fullest potential of her vehicle in a straight line over 400m.

As mentioned, has this abomination fired yet?
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

what?????

i dont understand ur question sorry
A112H

Post by A112H »

A112H wrote: As mentioned, has this abomination fired yet?
Is the car running? Has it been driven? Has it been to a track?