1979 Datsun Scorpion

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
75glnt

Re: 1979 Datsun Scorpion

Post by 75glnt »

:lol: :google:
N/A ALL THE WAY
deathsminion

Post by deathsminion »

It's pretty normal to react this way. It's all right, buddy.

Can we have some more Scorpion with decent engine pics now please?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:D

You won't find any on this thread :P haha
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Post by A112H »

deathsminion wrote:I'm guessing you've always had a love for old metal, or odd ball cars. .
Nope, usually about 10 years old and mostly Fords and imports
deathsminion wrote:You probably have a number of projects going at any one time, mostly restos.
Nope, the A112H is my first project car and I recently bought a GTO that will be started shortly
deathsminion wrote: I'm going to wager that you also have an older girl that isn't quite as old or far gone just to keep you going. Something that you'd cruise in or hit the hills with.

I'd be thinking your daily would be something odd ball as well, like a Citroen or a Renault or something.
My daily was a Ford station wagon that was recently replaced with a VR4
Monk

Post by Monk »

If I wanted a depressing car, I would have left the astron in it. I wanted a fun car though.
Disrespecting.
deathsminion

Post by deathsminion »

Agreed, but an RB20 is only a step away from a decent RB25 or RB26. Single cam 4G's are cancer riddled with AIDs. We're all smart fella's here, so I'm sure we can agree on that.
deathsminion

Post by deathsminion »

Also holy shit, I have 10 posts now so I can quote people! That will make this conversation much less disjointed.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

But the dohc 4gxxs are good.. And built properly, a 2.6 is plenty of fun!

I know it's not as easy to get the power as a 2j or rb. But that's lazy power. That's what everyone does! And IMO. It's stupid.. But I'll go with A112H and encourage you. Because these will be worth more later.

So once you've had your fun and thrashed this into a tyre wall. Go back to your datsuns and sr's. we will stick to our mitsus and 4g's :)

Also. Yes I think it's great you're giving the old girl new life. But you could at least be respectful!
N/A ALL THE WAY
deathsminion

Post by deathsminion »

To be fair he disrespected something not worthy of respect. He didn't go to your post and say your car/engine/face was shit. He said his bog filled, blown motored shitbox was a shitbox.
Monk

Post by Monk »

SR20s are a tractor engine, they belong in tractors.

I don't think I could get even half the power of the RB from an astron with what I have spent so far.
Disrespecting.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Was this shitbox worth saving?
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1799589

I think you are missing our point.
To us it isn't a shitbox and it is worth saving. This car was far from beyond repair.
deathsminion

Post by deathsminion »

Went through that thread, that car isn't as far gone as this one.

If I take a ton of shit and shape it into a Scorpion, it's a shitbox. This one is also a shitbox. End of story.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

SEE!! RESPECT MATE! Goes a lot further..

Yea and that's great he is doing something with it... But again, respect gets you much further in life than being a smart ass.

But that's my 2c. Have fun with it, just be respectful to others and things will flow fine :)

As far as "what I've spent so far". So be it, and I understand the bang for your buck crap. Honestly, the only reason I bothered is because again, respect. Had of been nicer, you would've got a much nicer welcoming!

So again, have fun. And if you want, throw a few vids/pics of it in action. We all love a good skid/drift :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
Monk

Post by Monk »

The car has been in a front and rear end accident at some point in its life. Both rear quarters a magnet won't stick to and the interior is rotten with a large ant colony living in it.

The engine didn't run, the box felt like it was in neutral when it was in gear and brake fluid leaks out as fast as it is filled. The paint is rippled and flakey on every panel and not a single panel is without rust.

I'm surprised I paid $250 for it.
Disrespecting.
deathsminion

Post by deathsminion »

Unbelievable. Clearly Victoria doesn't get the same quality crack as the rest of the country. I'm fuckin' missing out.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

deathsminion wrote:Went through that thread, that car isn't as far gone as this one.

If I take a ton of shit and shape it into a Scorpion, it's a shitbox. This one is also a shitbox. End of story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:blah:
Well I'm leaving on this note;

Something's only worth as much as someone wants to pay.
N/A ALL THE WAY
deathsminion

Post by deathsminion »

M8, u bettr respect
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Enough girls, you are both pretty.

Now, Monk please keep this post updated, I am keen to see what you make of it.

I put a Ford motor into a classic 1960 Merc 220S, no one complained about that, instead I received enquiries about how easy it was, how did it go etc...

Having had several Dattos, such as my 240K Coupe, I am eager to see how this project turns out. It would seem to me that the Jap parts may be interchangeable??
Monk

Post by Monk »

Well with very minor work, most of an S chassis will fit into the front of the scorpion. Coilovers, lcas, knuckles, hubs, brakes. Was going to have a go at fitting an R33 crossmember and rack and pinion setup as well so it will actually steer. Unlike its current 4.5 turns from lock to lock.

They rb itself fits like a glove but the gearbox is slightly longer and I'll be running a radiator in front of the rad support because of very little in bay room.
Disrespecting.
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Any of this need an engineers certificate?
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Also , when you start drifting this beast post some links up. I wanna see that. :thumpsup:
Monk

Post by Monk »

If you ever wanted to street drive it, I imagine you would need an engineers. This bodyshell isn't worth trying to street register which is why it is going down this path.

My initial plan was club plates but it would have cost me a small fortune in just body repairs even if I did them myself.
Disrespecting.
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

I am thinking about putting a more economical and powerful diesel motor into my Scorp.
I only cruise, no racing, and I tow a caravan sometimes, only to watch racing and make a weekend of it though (bit hard to sleep in the Scorp)

Monk

Post by Monk »

a 3ltr turbo RC colorado engine would be a lot of fun. They are a bulky 4 cylinder much like an astron so you wouldn't have much of an issue fitting it. Biggest thing would be ECU and a custom sump.
Disrespecting.
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

I would probably stay with a 2.5TD so the cc's do not increase for rego.

I have my Diesel Ticket although I have not used it in twenty years.

Surprised you didn't mention the Caravan is called a "Drifter".
Monk

Post by Monk »

a 2.5 out of a mazda would be good fun too. I highly recommend something mechanical injected if you can, then there is no fucking around with ECUs etc.
Disrespecting.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

ive actually seen a GK/GN with a diesel engine conversion and it looked like it belonged there as well, the conversion was done nicely
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Cool, sounds feasible then :thumpsup:

Sorry to steal your thread Monk. Like I said, keep us posted on your Datsun Scorpion build.

Any other parts you want to ditch, let me know :P
Monk

Post by Monk »

Well most of the front suspension, the brakes, the astron, the gearbox and the seats are already in the throwout pile. It is all in fairly bad shape though.
Disrespecting.