1979 Datsun Scorpion

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: 1979 Datsun Scorpion

Post by Scorpma82 »

hang on a minute....ur referring to someone's project as an abomination??????
Built with pride, Driven in anger
A112H

Post by A112H »

The mash up between a Scorpion and a RB, yes, IMHO it is
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

you know what ...i've had enough of this

If you've got brains...use them...If not...get some...then talk to me

Monk....good luck with your build mate.....it's great to see someone having a go and building something YOU like....
A112H

Post by A112H »

LMAO, I am not sure what you are talking about. Clearly it has been a long night and it is probably time for beddy byes
Oldfart

Post by Oldfart »

Mebe too many beers? :facepalm:
The older I get the better I used to be
Oldfart

Post by Oldfart »

So it's official then, the "Project" never got finished?
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Oldfart wrote:I'm sure real race drivers do have respect of some sort for drift drivers, it's just hard to find any reference.
You'll find most "real race drivers" (what ever they are) will have a lot of respect for a drift racer who is at the top of their game, I guess by real race drivers you mean the type that drive forwards around a circuit as fast as they can ??
My nan (and almost anyone who can drive) can drive forwards around a race circuit as fast as she can but like 90% of "real race drivers" she'd be stuffed trying to do it at speed whilst sideways and keeping it all together in any kind of controlled manner !

Most drifters can cut a good lap time whilst driving forwards I doubt many "real race drivers" could drift well !

Any how

Cool scorp and a good move turfing the arsetron (I hate em with a passion)
the sigma/scorp is a good car, the drive train however isn't that good and the more that get engine conversions the better !
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
unique10

Post by unique10 »

mate, its a great project, go for it. the scorpions wont ever be worth as much as the old folds holdens and vals because there mass produced, there was something like just over 30 thousand chargers built, and 150 of the ones that are actually worth money - the majority of which are in australia. scorpions, how many thousands are there all around the world?

and the fact that this car has been cut up and modified will probably drive up the value of our cars, not because people will run out of originals to buy - because that will never happen, but because he is actually flying a mitsu flag. people will actually see what a scorp is, they might fall in love with the shape and want one. it will get known. building an immac car, driving it to take pictures of it and putting it back in the shed does not increase the value of our cars at all. And with the value of other marque cars being worth so much, has nobody made the connection that they have all got sr20, 4age, 1uze, rbxx, v8 ect swaps?

be supportive guys, if we all drove the same cars it would be boring as all shit.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

lol, hope he doesnt find my nissan/scorpion thread? haha
Insert witty one liner here -->
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sadly, as I said from the start, this will be just another Mitsu lost to the ages yet another owner with dreams much larger than the owners abilities and will end up in the bin.
At least it wasn't something rare like a factory V8 Sigma with full GSR body kit.
Hey, on the plus side. He didn't chop up a run of the mill Sigma or a Lancer hatch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Ok, every one, this is a build thread, NOT a discussion thread. Stay on topic about the build, in a civil manner, or I will be issuing bans for abuse. If you don't agree/like this build, or certain motor sports, you don't have to voice your opinion about it. If you want to voice your opinion about it, post a thread in the lounge, or somewhere appropriate. The build thread is for showing people what work you are doing on your car, and have others help out with hints or tips. Not put downs about what they decided to do to THEIR car.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

if your still around mate, update would be nice :) :thumpsup:
Monk

Post by Monk »

Still around. Work exploded so this has been sitting in the shed with an RB nestled under the bonnet.

Tossed up whether or not to switch to an SR20 but then I remembered how much I hated them.

Also the RB20 seems to make purists and bigots even angrier, which suits me perfectly.
Disrespecting.
Monk

Post by Monk »

Also it appears that using an RB20 gearbox and not an SR20 one will put the shifter very close to the standard position, and the stock scorp gearknob fits the Nissan stick.

So the disrespectful Datslerbishi progresses slowly.
Disrespecting.
Monk

Post by Monk »

My other projects in the last 2 months included:

Banging this thing together out of scrap metal

Tidying up my daily driver

Prepping this to become a rally car
Disrespecting.
Monk

Post by Monk »

May no longer be a datsun scorpion...
Disrespecting.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...oooooh, about as subtle as a punch to the head. You're going to be doing some serious work to beef up the drivetrain with this monster sitting up front (H)
Monk

Post by Monk »

It had a hollinger on it, then a T400. I'm thinking a Jericho 4 speed. I already have the 9 inch. Last dyno'd at 680hp through the auto.
Disrespecting.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

its a interesting route you have taken with this vehicle and engine choice. your plans are to drift it obviously.. so have you taken into account weight distribution in this case or you just hoping to get out there and shred tyres? either the unreliable rb20 or the overrated chev v8's are not my thing but i wouldn't mind for you to prove to us that you can actually finish this and not chop and change engines whenever a cheaper option comes up. There is alot of factors that need to be taken into account with drifting and this doesn't mean putting the biggest hp engine into your vehicle just so it can slide easier, i'm sure you know this however and many other people who have spoken already in this thread.. I just got a funny feeling that these "common" motors will make this scorpion something less unique then what it could've been.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
Monk

Post by Monk »

The RB20 is a spastically reliable motor if left relatively stock. Crank up the boost and fuel and enjoy the revs.

Decided it belongs in a VH commodore though just to annoy Holden people as well.

The ex-Nascar Chev V8 makes it no longer a viable drift car, the agricultural steering setup in the scorpion sort of eliminated that itself however.

The RB20 is actually lighter than the astron 2.6 that came out of it, the nascar motor with its alloy heads, air gap manifold and Big holley carb is only slightly heavier. The tiny flywheel and twin plate are probably a lot of that so it'll be a touch heavier with an auto.

With a trans brake and a good 9 inch rear end it should be fun down the strip for a while.

I work for a motorsport company so this is my job, my own shit takes a while in between work hours and track days but it gets done eventually.
Disrespecting.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The scorp is in dire need of extra horses but the all the mechanicals in them are just - well, weird. It's a 2 door but in no way a sports car, its a heavy thing for what it is and the handling and steering response is abysmal. We really need someone to figure out a way to improve how they drive (revise the suspension geometry and reduce understeer so it sticks to the road and actually goes where you point it :roll: )
Monk

Post by Monk »

I was going to attempt an S13 front end conversion but the location of the column in relation to the rails makes it difficult.
Disrespecting.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

ive put a S15 front end in mine... fits relativly straight fwd. with alot of drilling welding and so on...

you need to find/make custom steering linkage
be a little creative with the sump to crossmember/steering clearance. but if i dont it again id lower the xmember another 5mm
Insert witty one liner here -->
Monk

Post by Monk »

V8 conversion is pending test fitting. If it is going to be too snug it can go in the KE70 and I'll persevere with the 20det in the scorp. Really didn't want to hack the shell to fit it but a VL balancer should clear the rad support and an rx4 radiator with a header tank should fit behind the grille.
Disrespecting.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Monk wrote:The ex-Nascar Chev V8.
that must have been used in NASCAR back in the late 80's
when was the last time they used a cylinder head like that in NASCAR, everything has been SB2 based for nearly 20 years !
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Merv

Post by Merv »

amgis_obrut wrote:
Monk wrote:The ex-Nascar Chev V8.
that must have been used in NASCAR back in the late 80's
when was the last time they used a cylinder head like that in NASCAR, everything has been SB2 based for nearly 20 years !
Dont forget that nascar only just changed to fuel injection in the past 2years
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Really????
I thought they were still running a single carb
Oldfart

Post by Oldfart »

Must be registered and on the road now. How does it go? Get much trouble with the engineering certificate?
Oldfart

Post by Oldfart »

Did this poor old thing finish up in the scrap pile? Maybe it's racing at Bathurst shortly?
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

Good build!
Amusing reading all the butt hurt comments :lol:

How's the progress?
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR