My GH Scorpion rebuild

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
theozsnowman

My GH Scorpion rebuild

Post by theozsnowman »

I have started a small blog about my GH scorpion rebuild project where i rant on complete dribble, ask a few queries and share a few things about what i find as i restore her...

Im also adding in links etc to handy sites as i come across them, along with any other info i find that may be useful to someone...

You can check it out at http://scorpion.snowtech.com.au
My 1980 GH Scorpion Restoration Project - The Oz Snowmans Scorpion - Meet B1 and B2 - The Grey Ghost
jvflash

Re: My GH Scorpion rebuild

Post by jvflash »

Nice Scorp, and I see you have a keen helper too. Good luck with it and keep the posts going on here too please :thumpsup:
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

thanks and yeah he's dead keen...
My 1980 GH Scorpion Restoration Project - The Oz Snowmans Scorpion - Meet B1 and B2 - The Grey Ghost
A112H

Post by A112H »

I like it and like the colour you have chosen. The pic you used for comparison is my car, lol
Got any plans for any major change of keeping it pretty much as is but with a full referb?
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

hahaha ive only found 2 cars on the net the same color...

other than adding in toys like remote keyless entry/start and power windows and a satnav stereo mostly it will be a stock restore... with some new rubber on lower springs

I would ideally like to swap it over to a 5 speed, but i know thats a nightmare given the tunnel size ...why did they make 2 different tunnels on these????

i had originally considered looking down the v6 path or a bigger spec of engine of some flavour but the whole engineers certificate mess etc and Vicroads are things i dont want the hassle or cost of... so will probably just change the carb setup, and may look at EFI

so first will restore the body, then the running gear, and then will look at the engine and drivetrain

I have always had an idea in the back of my head about turning one into a T Top... ala 280zx or Transam style and i may have sourced a second parts car that i might just have to consider this for as the next project...
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sounds good.
The 5 speed swap won't be a problem. I don't think the Scorpions had different tunnels, I know the Galants did. But even if they did, the auto is the big tunnel.
Not sure about the targa top on one of these, being a hardtop to roof structure is integral to the car. Factory t-top cars have a very solid "B" pillar, Scorpions have no "B" pillar, lol
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

yeah the tunnel is an issue apparently... went thru it with a mechanic on the last Scorpion i had, apparently it depends on which box it has as to whether it has a wide tunnel or not... but its not to hard to sort

as for the t-top i was going to do this to the last one, using panels from a 280ZX but in to fit with added strengthening etc to the car to support it... an engineer told me it was definately doable...
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

I picked up 2 new scorpions this weekend, one as a parts car, the second one they threw in with it for free....

I call them B1 and B2... for obvious reasons as you will see

both have 2.6 5 speeds in them but looking at the GH so far it has a different looking diff... havent worked out what yet...

the owner told me they bolted up the 5 speed and 2.6 into a car that was originally an auto and they recon the diff was the original auto diff... so not sure on this... they are both a bit of a mess but will clean them up and work out what i do and dont have during the week

heres a couple of pics

B1
B2
it does look like B2 is a bit of an imposter though

looks like it was a butt ugly red / brown colour previously... cant say ive seen this particular colour before..
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

The GH and GJ should have the same basic diff, but there are differences in how the hand brake cables work (single in GH, twin in GJ) and the rear spring location (lower control arm in GH, on diff in GJ). Brakes, diff centre, and so on are all the same and can be swapped around.
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

thanks... this must not be a standard diff in it then it physically looks different to both my blue GH and B2's... will have to do some further exploring once i start stipping it down during the week...
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sure that B1 is a GH? GE's had a much smaller 8 bolt diff as apposed to the 10 bolt of GH+
Check the VIN, GE starts A123H and GH will be A125H

Looks like B1 and B2 will offer you all the parts you will need and probably have a few to sell on, nice pic up :thumpsup:
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

yeah shes definitely a GH from 2/80 so maybe it had been changed previously at some point.. who knows with a car like this...

as for parts yes B1 is exactly what i need...

B2 i think i will give her a clean up do the minor cosmetics she needs and look to sell her once back on the road i think... but will see
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

Good buy two 4 one can't go wrong.
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

yeah especially when they cost half what i paid for the project car :D
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

Just thought id share my latest aquisition with everyone.. and very nice straight car minus engine....

and it has the dashpad of my dreams ...hooray....

will work out the plan once i get her home...
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

Another Ebay purchase. Well done.
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

thanks... i wanted it purely for the dash

tubby

Post by tubby »

theozsnowman wrote:yeah shes definitely a GH from 2/80 so maybe it had been changed previously at some point.. who knows with a car like this...
I looked at your other page and B1 also has the middle garnish from a GE (with badge) maybe someone has made a franken scorpion with a ge and a gh
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

yeah B1 does have a few odd bits on her which have been there for a long time by the looks of them....