1982 GJ Sigma Sedan - The Devil

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
mstrrab1992

1982 GJ Sigma Sedan - The Devil

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Well, Ive just purchased this sigma.

Its a 1982 GJ Sedan, I first looked at it last Saturday, drove 6 hours to have a look at the sigma, it looked alright but it wouldn't run, and the guy that was selling it didn't really know much about it, how it was wired, etc etc, apparently his brother had bought a 2 sigmas, this yellow one and a green one, the green one originally had the efi setup in it, the yellow car was a 1 owner car before he owned it ( I did a history check and I am the 3rd owner so what he said was true) he swapped the efi and motor from the green one to this yellow one.

Well he originally wanted $1300 for it, but it wasn't running, so me and my dad said no thanks and we drove 6 hours back home, then I messaged the guy on sunday asking "how much would you take for the sigma now that its not running" and got back "600 with standard wheels or 750 with the pepperpots and spare parts" so I said id be on my way tomorrow, so we went and picked it up on Monday, drove 6 hours back with a car trailer and 6 hours home. fun fun.

so I get the sigma home, and we are about to get it off the car trailer, we had a suspicion that it was the dizzy plug, we replaced that with some push on terminals, it didn't run, then we figured out it had no petrol in it, so we got a 20L drum of premium and put it in the sigma, still wouldn't run... we had no idea what it was. I remember the guy telling me it had 2 fuel pump switches, one was already on and the other on the dash was off, and we had the one on the dash in the on position, anyway, we thought, we should try to flick the other switch, and a few turns the sigma sat and ran nicely (well when I mean nicely I mean there3 is a few problems wrong with it idling but we should get those sorted out asap) anyway here are some pics at my placeof the sigma.

Be jealous of my number plate people (aka the devil car)

It still has some tray under the seat which dad considered to be rare as hes only ever seen them once before in a sigma

horrible
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
mstrrab1992

Re: 1982 GJ Sigma Sedan - The Devil

Post by mstrrab1992 »

This is a pic of it out the front of where I got it from

Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

I am having a little trouble at starting the car atm, I hold the key on for 7-8 seconds sometimes when its been sitting for awhile and it takes a little while for it to fire and run, I assume it may have something to do with the high pressure fuel pump, I hope, cuz itll be an easy fix haha.

and yes the little trays under the seat,theyre on both side not just 1 side of the car.

yes the air flow box was done rough, I am not happy with it and it shall be one of the first things I change in the car.

also the car is idling a bit high, around 1000-1100 ( I dunno if that's normal? )

as of rust wise, it does have some around the windscreen but ill be taking that to someone to do properly for me.

no rust in boot yay :thumpsup:

I will upload some videos of it starting and idling to youtube then shall post them up here.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've just worked out who used to own that set up. It was skidmark (old Newcastle member), they are his old number plates. He sold this set up in a Green GN with the GSR rims and those plates, but the body was rusty.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Well I have about 3/4 of his car o.o..... the spare parts I got were off a green GN - all the doors, boot, bonnet, pretty much a full interior, struts, brakes, towbar, YAY! (which I just put on it)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

"The Devil" - ironic that your thread has been given that title. You either have a death wish or you have some serious thrill issues driving that thing. The bones of it are good project material - but the horrendous wiring and the 'A' bomb fuel system in the boot is a recipe for disaster. Forget with starting on the Coke bottle air filter, get all the safety issues dealt with before going out on the road. Good hunting mstrrab1992, once you've defused this thing it will be a good reliable car. :thumpsup:
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Wanna come stay for a weekend geezer ;) haha. ive driven it 200kms since I got it, runs nice, hasn't skipped a beat, but I will be fixing the cokebottle professional air intake (HA...HA...) But what do you mean, whats wrong with whats in the boot o.O?
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

And I thought I may aswell imbrace it, I think the devils number is lucky for me, first time I drove it, found some boat seats on the side of the road, value = $500, SCORE!, next day, I get a job. o.o? odd... haha
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

When skidmark first put that plate on his car, his wife drove it to the servo, and while she was filling it up, got preached to ... lol
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Ahaha, funny
TVM006

Post by TVM006 »

Plastic cover on boot hinge :|
TVMDouble0h!Sixx

1985 GK GSR
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

mstrrab1992 wrote:Wanna come stay for a weekend geezer ;) But what do you mean, whats wrong with whats in the boot o.O?
Where do we start? First things first - I don't have a week to sort this out :lol: Both fuel pumps are only secured by one bolt each (that I can see...if they're bolted down at all) Neither of them are mounted on rubber dampers (not so much a safety issue, but the noise from them is not something you wanna hear) Running the wiring with the hoses is not good - considering how close the boot hinge is getting to the fuel lines and wiring that are zip tied together. The lines need to be secured in solid mounted brackets - ghetto fixing with zip ties is something you do to get you home. The connecting terminals on the pumps need insulated sleeves - if a fuel line lets go or splits straight over live power... Obviously the guy who installed the surge tank knew it was dodgy so to compensate he put a cover over the hinge to reduce the damage to the system (it is set up far too close to the boot hinge). And speaker wire to run the high pressure fuel pump? :| It should at least be run separately and in a sheath. I hope the fuel filters are somewhere under the boot floor or this will be another problem waiting to ambush you. I know you are not responsible for how it has been put together and I am not your dad etc... The fuel delivery in the boot is looking for a place to happen, don't let it!
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

TVM006 wrote:Plastic cover on boot hinge :|
geezer101 wrote:Obviously the guy who installed the surge tank knew it was dodgy so to compensate he put a cover over the hinge to reduce the damage to the system (it is set up far too close to the boot hinge).
Both the cover on the spring and the hindge are factory, people have just ripped them off over the years.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

I see what you mean geezer, And yes, the plastic covers are original, well theyre on both sides atleast, I need to rewire a lot of it, and the filters under the bonnet, im just gonna do a good tidy up till I can afford a aftermarket ecu, I know some ppl don't like them, but I will be looking for a microtech as I have friends where I live that know how to install and set them up as I have no idea, you can tell that the air inlet is restricting the sigma a lot, its chewing roughly 12L/100kms.

Does anyone know how to run the car without the air flow sensor and air box? or is that only able to do that with aftermarket ecu
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

geezer101 wrote: Both fuel pumps are only secured by one bolt each (that I can see...if they're bolted down at all) Neither of them are mounted on rubber dampers (not so much a safety issue, but the noise from them is not something you wanna hear)

TELL ME ABOUT IT THE LIFT PUMP DRIVES ME INSANE!!!!!!
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

TVM006 wrote:Plastic cover on boot hinge :|
That's what threw me - I've never seen a hinge cover on any Sigma. A bloody rare sight :o
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

>=) ON BOTH SIDES!, haha. o.o also apparently the trays under both seats are fairly a rare sight? it was a one owner car, 130,000 orig kms. but the motors out of skidmarks car
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

All 3 of my GJ's (one SE Sedan and 2 GL wagons) had those under seat trays

I've got a funny feeling they were either just a GJ feature, or they were an optional extra (most of which were most likely disposed of through the years of ownership)

On a side note, they make good drip tray when u service the car

Factory Sigma oil catch trays lol :thumpsup:
Built with pride, Driven in anger
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Yeah, mine has the trays, under both front seats...

cheers
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)