75glnt's n/a 4g63 ga galant

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
75glnt

75glnt's n/a 4g63 ga galant

Post by 75glnt »

Ok. So I've decided to create a build thread for my ga. (I didn't do one for any of my galants :think: thought I better start)

I've bought myself a ga galant for $400. Tossed up engine ideas and other thoughts of scrapping the gb to use this with my 1600. I've decided I'm going for a n/a sohc 4g63 out of a 1990 LWB L300. Which I payed $250 for the entire van. The engine needs a rebuild as it has a nasty knock! I reckon it's the big end bearing. But it also doesn't turn over at all. By hand either, so I wonder if its been seized from sitting with no/little oil? Anyway, less blabbering and more info :P

Body
As stated, it's a ga galant. Can't remember the year. But it's a factory 4 speed 1500. Sunburnt orange with gold 13" globes. Has gd struts and what looks like an old 2" exhaust (it's severely rusted). The rust in the body is minimal with only a little spot of surface rust from flaked paint on the roof near the c pillar (No bigger than a 50c piece), a few spots on the front quarters, and some in the external seem press that joins the rear quarters to the rear valance. It has a couple little dents in the front drivers guard, and a small pop-out dent on the rear drivers guard (in front of where the rear bumper wraps around).

interior
Insides pretty alright.. Couple door cards have been teared up and cracked backing. It has the tan interior with LOW BACKS!! Woop! :lol: anyway! :P I think the rears have cracks/tears in them as well. It's all stock with a manual c/console!! 8o|

engine
Ok, the engine will be getting replaced. So I'll do it this way :)

In it now (but going out);1500 4 speed with possibly a 2"??

Going in; n/a sohc 4g63 and a 5 speed, might do a little work to it?? Just cam, carby and exhaust. Already have a 2" lined up from VGJONO's wreck. (Thanks for that :thumpsup: ) thinking of quad carbs after seeing superscans triton :), 30/70 cam, adjustable cam gears, electronic ignition. All the fun stuff in a less extent :)

wheels/tyres
I will be running my stock rims, hubcaps and trims on her until I find a nice set I like. Might consider pepperpots??

suspension/diff/brakes
I'll use gh struts until I mod my gd struts to coilovers with commodore blisten shocks, k-mac adjustable strut tops and larger slotted discs. Might even go gtr-r33 front end including brakes? The rear end! Well? Might cut down the diff from the L300 and throw in a scorpian LSD centre? Or a sigma turbo diff with the disc rear. So many options at this stage but we'll see what unfolds :)

paint
Most likely keep it the orange it is :) but Christ knows! :P at this stage I'll pretty up the engine bay then do a doors closed touch up with the standard orange.

cosmetics
A few gauges, option audio or pioneer setup with 1x12" sub, 2x6" and 2x4" on the parcel shelf (thanks Jon :P), and 2x4" on the doors. New carpet, door cards and re-do the seats, and a couple touch ups here and there.

Sorry no pics right now! :( lol. But will post ASAP!

Cheers,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
yno26galant

Re: 75glnt's n/a 4g63 ga galant

Post by yno26galant »

:D awesome ill keep watch on this one
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea should be good! :D I'm yet to pick both cars up as I've just payed for em. (2 weeks easy for the ga. and yesterday I payed for the L300)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Would this work on my engine? It's from a forklift and I've compared the two (standard one and this one) they both look the same (apart from the anodised front plate on the forklift one. The car one is silver. Lol). They're a fraction of the price!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewi ... 4701348091
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Hey guys! I have a dilemma.. The ga is a factory 4 speed right, so it's the small trans tunnel. My gb is a factory auto, large trans tunnel. If the g63 is a wide block, I've gotta use an auto trans tunnel. But I don't want to use bits off the gb to build the ga. so I'm looking to either a; make a new tunnel. Or b; get an auto one.

Will the sigma auto tunnel fit in the ga?

How hard is it to remove a trans tunnel (keeping the car it came from good and together so another tunnel will fit?

If I had to! Could I get someone from here to make me one? (I'll pay postage, materials and a bonus for your time) :)

Thanks guys :)

Fingers crossed its a narrow block :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

I have removed a couple of Trans Tunnel's at the wreckers for my Galants (with a cold chisel, hammer and hacksaw). I have not compared a Sigma to Galant one to see what the difference would be. Atleast if you get the Galant one you know it will go in and wont intrude too much into the foot well where the clutch pedal will now be. They are and "Insert" panel anyway, so you could sit there with the drill for half the day and drill out all the spot welds. You will still need to modify the shifter hole as it will be in the wrong position more than likely. I got around this by cutting one out of a Sigma (with enough material left on it) and the siliconed/welded it into place where it needed to be.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea I'll do a good job on this one :P what do ya reckon it'll cost to make one? I'll most likely go find an auto galant tunnel.

There's also the option of running the g63 in my gb. But I want to do as the title says! "Ga 4g63" so if items build/modify stuff to fit. I will! Not the easy option. Because its what I want. :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

So I'm picking up a set if 15x7 and about +12 offset. Payed $700 for em with immaculate centre caps, not to mention the rims are in good nic too :D slight gutter rash on one. But it all good :) now for the questions :P

What's a good tyre in a 195/50r15 and a 205/45r15? I know the yoko r1's are good. As are the s drives. And the new falkens. But I'm not sure if they'll be in my size?

I'm thinking of using my paint that no one wants!!! :P it's the electric orange ford focus colour (6fse). It's 2k so how do I mix it? Also apply? Could someone do a chop of a ga with this paint and my b45's? They're dark grey in the centre. :)

All input is welcome!
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

75glnt wrote:If the g63 is a wide block, I've gotta use an auto trans tunnel.
1 of the GD wagon's I have, has a wide block 2.6 and 5 speed in a stock manual (small) trans tunnel. It seem to fit ok.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Oh really? :D that's great to hear! I'll have to try it :) thanks Dave. All galant tunnels are the same size (other than the auto to manual difference)? So all manual galant trans tunnels are the exact same?
N/A ALL THE WAY
dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

I'm not sur if they are all th same but I managed to fit a wide block 2.6 with a 5 speed out of a scorp ( shorter than a normal jap 5 speed. I tried to fit a 5 speed bw box in before this and it wouldn't go. I haven't got it running yet but from what I can see it has clearance all round, plus I only had to extend the shifter hole about a cm. when I got it it was a 1.6 4 speed.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

75glnt wrote: All galant tunnels are the same size (other than the auto to manual difference)?
Not sure exactly...?
dnvgalant wrote:I tried to fit a 5 speed bw box in before this and it wouldn't go.
It's a 5 speed BW that is in my wagon.

The obvious difference between the boxes is the shifter location. So the gearstick hole needs to be moved rearward with any commonly available 5 speed box.

In the past I always assumed you needed the larger auto tunnel for the larger bell housing to fit.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Hmm.. I'll just do a trial and error. If it fits, awesome! If not.. Oh well, new tunnel :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

C's and D's may be slightly different to A's and B's due to the fact that they were available in 1850 and 2000cc.

This is from my experience with GB's:
As for the trans fitting in the tunnel (with the exception of the shifter placement), the wide block Jap box will fit in a narrow tunnel, the BW we had to massage the tunnel in certain spot's to fit it in as the box is more square, where the Jap is rounded on top.
You will have difficulty removing the trans from the motor (if you had to do a clutch or change the box) as there is not enough clearance, we had to unbolt the motor from the cross member and move it forward to be able to remove the box.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

GB_BB4C wrote:You will have difficulty removing the trans from the motor (if you had to do a clutch or change the box) as there is not enough clearance
That's pretty much what I was thinking the problem would be.
Let's put it this way, I haven't tried pulling the GD apart just yet, so it could still have the same problem.

Dave...
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

I like doing things the easier way.. If I'm replacing a clutch. I'll pull it all out, and split it on the floor. I don't like splitting them in the car. That's my way of things anyhow
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Post by A112H »

Thats the very long way of doing it mate. With a hoist or a pit you can change a clutch in about an hour, easy.
It would take you longer than that just to disconnect everything when removing the engine too.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:Thats the very long way of doing it mate.
Depends on the car really.

If it's a stocker, would be easy, but if it's turbo or EFI or both, well, yep, that would take alot longer for in and out of everything.

If I'm changing a clutch or box, I've always taken the lot out, I find it much more comfortable to work standing up while the motor is hanging off my engine hoist.
We did Phil's rear main while it was still in his car. I remembered how much I hate fitting a box laying under a car on a creeper.
A112H wrote:With a hoist or a pit you can change a clutch in about an hour, easy.

Yep true, but I don't have either.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Lol jase, some of us aren't fortunate enough to have either of those :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Sorry to disappoint y'all :P but the ga is no longer going g63 :P the gb wagon is!! :D still keeping the ga. when I know how, I will change the topic name to "75glnt's ga (now gb wagon) g63 build" :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Awesome! still got plans for the GA ??
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea seeing as its a matching numbers completely standard car. It'll go back to showroom condition and maybe trailered. Lol. Wagon will go orange, 4g63 and b45s. Gb will go white or yellow, with pepperpots
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Update!

Looks like I'm going efi. What efi setup should I use? And what do I need?

Is this good?
http://m.gumtree.com.au/95-ts-magna-inl ... agna%20efi
N/A ALL THE WAY
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Look for the earlier setup off a TN or TP Magna. It's smaller and will require less work to fit into a Galant engine bay.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

N/A ALL THE WAY