EXDCs 83 Sigma Wagon Build

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Sigmaproject

Re: EXDCs 83 Sigma Wagon Build

Post by Sigmaproject »

You had me at the start with the two piece tailshaft.. Like WTF ???

It wasnt until you mentioned NZ that I realised it was a Japanese 4G63 version of the Sigma wagon.

Much better dash layout than the aussie wagon.
EXDC

Post by EXDC »

Sigmaproject wrote:You had me at the start with the two piece tailshaft.. Like WTF ???

It wasnt until you mentioned NZ that I realised it was a Japanese 4G63 version of the Sigma wagon.
Ahh the aussie assembled wagons run the borg warner diff don't they?
EXDC

Post by EXDC »

Hey guys. Thanks for the positive comments.
As for the wagon, news is not so positive. (Sorry for the slow update)

You know when you see people joke about Mitsis with the "Blue smoke" comments? It aint no joke - and this car proves it.

At the moment im spending more on oil than fuel! NO SHIT. Roughly 4L of oil a week..... sadface
Praying that its just valve guide seals but im thinking engine overhaul time.

And because im lazy as shit I havent got this certified and now the WOF is out. FML.

EXDC

Post by EXDC »

One step forward, 5 steps back.

Decided to try and get a WOF without a cert and succeeded.

Decided to try and fix the smoking issue - Did not succeed.
It seems this engine does not want to be cured. Ran into problem after problem.

Brought a valve spring compressor tool to do the valve stems but turned out that this particular tool wouldnt fit in. So, I made one.

Didnt work too bad. Took a bit of getting use to.

Replaced all the valve stem seals which was a massive drama but I wont bore you with the details. Lets just say theres a collet in the sump and its staying there.

The ol man said that it will still smoke for a while due to oil in the exhaust system and to drive it and monitor the oil level. The smoking was marginally better.
Took it for a hoon out to Katikati this weekend and monitored my oil pressure gauge. Level was high when I left home. Got to Paeroa and the level was pretty low. Brought 4 litres of oil and it took the whole lot. F...M...L!

So, I guess it can only be rings. Joy.
EXDC

Post by EXDC »

Engine number 3

Brought another 4G63. Was going to put this in and see if it runs but I might actually rebuild this one.
EXDC

Post by EXDC »

Ive stripped the engine of all the bits I dont need. I just need it down to a "Long block" situation.

Spent today pulling it down some more and degreasing.

The rebuild idea is on hold. Going to slam this motor in and see if its an OK runner.

I pulled the exhaust manifold off the engine thats currently in my wagon and found a lot of oil around port 4 and a lot of build up. The oil feed for turbo'd motors is just above this port. I have a feeling the head is cracked in this area but im unsure.

I will inspect better when the engine comes out. Ive got a bit of time off work over the break so will crack on with the swap then.
EXDC

Post by EXDC »

Motor out time

Im in the middle of putting all the bits from one motor to the other.

The motor on the left is the next victim. Im going to be doing the valve stem seals regardless. A lot easier to do with it on an engine stand. Waiting for my cambelts to arrive from America. Once they arrive I can full assemble the engine and slap it in.

Still havent found out what the issue was/is. The EGR port was clogged with oil gunk.

Depending on when the cambelts arrive I should hopefully have this running next week and maybe have this back on the road. If this engine is as bad as the last one its definitely rebuild time.
EXDC

Post by EXDC »

We all like squiggly exhaust manifolds.

Whilst the motor was out I set out to make one of those spaghetti manifolds. When I say make, I mean take some pre-made headers and slap a 4G63 flange on.

Here are the headers I scored

Scored a stainless manifold for VR4/EVO off Trademe for $1.50. You can see ive already made the chop.

This is when I found out shit wasnt gonna be easy. Angles were all wrong and had bugger all room in the engine bay. The headers were originally 4-2-1 but decided to make my own 4-1 merge collector.

Long story short, finished product

EXDC

Post by EXDC »

All my parts arrived over the holidays so I got the ol man to fit the valve stem seals, cam belts, water pump etc.

Got motor back together and back in the hole

The new addition to the engine bay is power steering (and the spaghetti exhaust)

Got it running and took it for a test hoon. Without setting the timing, idle air and tps it goes very well. Hard to gauge if it is better than the old DOHCa but is pretty awesome down low.

And the best news is....... IT NO LONGER SMOKES!

BUT, it wasnt all good news. There was a coolant leak at the back of the motor somewhere. Couldnt see where it was coming from so I had to pull the motor back out  -_-

Turns out one of the frost plugs had a hole in it. Offending frost plug replaced and the engine is back in the hole hopefully for the last time. Didnt get a chance to run it tonight. Will take it for a thrash tomorrow.
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

EXDC wrote:Engine number 3

Brought another 4G63. Was going to put this in and see if it runs but I might actually rebuild this one.

What exhaust manifold, turbo and intake manifold are on that red top?
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
EXDC

Post by EXDC »

Custom exhaust manifold, Chinese TD05 thats been rotated and internal wastegate welded shut for external and I believe the inlet is a modified RVR manifold with the throttle body swap.
EXDC

Post by EXDC »

You can check out more on that motor here -> http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index ... lancer-ex/
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

U got your 1st set of rwd extractors still? And do U want to sell them lol?
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
EXDC

Post by EXDC »

Yeah, I do but my friend has dibs on them.
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

what cars come with the twin carby manifolds ? im keen as for one
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
EXDC

Post by EXDC »

NZ got them in the Jap spec Sapporo. Pretty thin on the ground here.
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

would love one of them manifolds, do there rare in NZ are they
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door