GH Turbo 282 - epic slow restore build

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
84GKSIG
Admin

GH Turbo 282 - epic slow restore build

Post by 84GKSIG »

Pictures - yes, wrong color I know... I didnt do it.

car

engine the day it arrived
crappy pod filter / hot air intake has to gtfo

cordia turbo? air box replaces the pod filter - geezer101s suggestion :thumpsup: yet to make up brackets for it, but dose fit in place quite snug and looks the part imo

carby

cam lobe got eaten

cam has since been replaced with a reground factory 2.6 Astron1 cam so all good there, some where in the future will rebuild a fresh head for it.

cleaned up the turbo compression housing
looks nice

pulled out some crap and dead wiring which lead to no where but spliced into everything ...
and that POS choke cable.. mean while the spare carby went on a holiday :think: wonder where it went

fresh wrinkle paint

some more cleaning up and painting, welcome back carby :o but to really appreciate it....

you really gotta see it in person and before it came back looking like that, in my opinion it was basically ready for the skip.

Epic thank you to geezer101 :thumpsup:

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg38 ... G_0045.mp4

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg38 ... G_0047.mp4 exhaust needs improving
this is it for now. :thumpsup:
geezer101

Re: GH Turbo 282 - epic slow restore build

Post by geezer101 »

...I'm soooo busted. :facepalm: Anyone play spot the difference? After some deliberation with 84GKSIG I convinced him to let me delete the EGR valve and feed line to the carby (which turned out to be leaking exhaust gases from the manifold anyway). You wouldn't mind showing the nice people what was being used as a boost controller, would you 84? :lol:
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

geezer101 wrote:You wouldn't mind showing the nice people what was being used as a boost controller, would you 84? :lol:
id love to :lol:

a silicone filled air compressor water trap air pressure regulator
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Now that is pure art. :thumpsup: Why don't WRX's come with that factory fitted? You could mount it on the dash and use it as a boost gauge as well :lol:
Sparkington
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Sparkington »

Looking good 84 :D Geezer does amazing work with carbys. What wrong with an air compressor regulator lol
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

it should be attached to a different type of air compressor lol
ghuphill

Post by ghuphill »

:thumpsup: :thumpsup: what are your next plans for it,carby looks the part.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

hey mate, im hoping that when ( im not gonna say IF im gonna be stubborn and say WHEN ) my financial situation changes, ill be able to pull the block out
- possibly a rebuilt head - not totaly urgent though.
- respray the engine bay
- swap the bw for a jap box , car will be all in original colour as well as standard hight springs and satin finish turbo rims- it will pretty much be restored to factory spec, pin striping and all :thumpsup:

heres one of the rims I cleaned up on the car just to see how theyd look in a satin finish - need to take the rubbers off and put them on my "machine of death" I forget who named it that now.
cant get to the gutter rash with the rubber on it
ghuphill

Post by ghuphill »

does the car still have the original block,narrow japs are harder to get ,and will the shifter still exit from the factory position ?,keeping it close to original is the best way to go,but bw 5speed sux :P i agree on the non polished turbo rims ,i think they had a machined look from factory,my old gh had a non polished spare should have take a better look at it, keep us posted I'm glad this car went to a good home. :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

you know the car do you?

ive been thinking over the past week about which cars I want to keep on a basis of what needs to be done to them, it dose have the original 2 liter block still :thumpsup: I have a narrow jap box in my currently in my GJ thats been converted to a long extension housing from a short ( box was originally out of a L200 Ute ) if I convert it back to a short extension housing it will all fit up peachy and fit the same as an original, the BW currently in the car is one out of a GJ as the floor has been cut and folded to get the shifter to come up though the floor. this is the reason why the box is going to come out and get replaced with one thats a better fit and IMO much stronger :thumpsup:

this is gonna be one of those very slow builds, dont expect too much very quickly, unless everything goes to plan :lol:
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

did some cleaning up of the badges

also got another set of turbo/wherrett rims which had been once polished years back, looked like this when i got them

so i paint stripped them and gave em a good scrub

cleaned up a little more

and final polish with black inserts resprayed :thumpsup:
ddt

Post by ddt »

cleaned up a little more
and final polish with black inserts resprayed
turbo rims are a funny thing; IMO they look fantastic all polished up when looking at them on their own -But when fitted on an actual car, they look better satin. :think:
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

yup, my intention with the rims, is to let them progressively lose their shine then clean them up and clear them :thumpsup: was more of a did it because I can sort of thing
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

so spent a little time with the GH today

hooked up the boost gauge temporarily just to help me see what was going on and as you can see from the video - not so happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZW8j-N52iE
- backfire
- leaks
- powering dying
- having a very hard time @6 psi when from factory it should be 10psi.
= me :(

after a couple of hours of changing many things like:
- timing
- orientation of vac lines
- 2 dodgy O-ring seals
- suspect ignition lead thought id test for leaks in the best way I could come up with at the time. winding boost up :)

heres the new result
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDQAPZ-UqLI

happy to report that no leaks have returned :thumpsup: = me :D

so now my mission is to neaten up the vac lines and sort out that exhaust leak - after a while of running the engine with the bonnet down the pool of exhaust fumes under the bonnet are enough to choke out the engine running.

heres a cold/warm start vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOHCDku0HBs