GD Galant Rally Car rebuild

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Andrew77

GD Galant Rally Car rebuild

Post by Andrew77 »

HI All,

Its been a while since i've been on the forum, though it might be time to put up some pics of my 1976 GD Galant Rally car which has given me 10 years of service and is currently under going a well deserved rebuild. Her days of doing rallies are over and she'll start her new life as an Autocross car. As part of the rebuild she is also undergoing a weight reduction program, Lexen side windows, removal of uneccessary support structure in doors, bonnet, boot etc. window wind down mechanism the list goes on. I wont give up rally altogether, I have Mirage Cyborg Rallycar project with my brother which we'll embark on once the Galant is completed. My decision to go down this path was due to the technology gap between classic and modern being to great especially when the classic cars are restricted to homologated engines and the rules dont grant you enough freedom to bridge the gap.

Specs:
4G32 balanced and blueprinted to 1600cc, ported head O/S valves, Stage 5 camshaft, twin 40mm DCOE webers, custom built tuned length headers.
Brown Davis Roll cage, Pedders Custom built front coilovers, Rod ended front wishbones, K-Mac Race series strut tops and K-Mac H/Duty front swaybar.
Scorpion 4 wheel disc brakes, Racebrakes Comp 3 pads, 4.6:1 Ex-works LSD.

Last event I did before moving back to Melbourne from Bris Vegas in 2010 - Hirstglen Rallysprint (Toowoomba) 1st in class, 4th Outright

Clifton Rally Sprint QLD 2006, no result that event DNF'd a run due to an argument with a tree, evidence visible in photo!

ARC Rally of Melbourne 2004, Heat 1, 3rd in Class. Heat 2, 2nd in Class behind a Mirage Cyborg!

Current Progress:

New Carbon Fibre Dash with push button start & Autometer gauges, 3rd for the left is digital tacho with 5 stage shift light

Test fitting dash and OMP Corsica Suede Steering wheel

Front stripped seam welded and repainted

Over the Christmas break completed the remainder of the internal and external seam welding

Rebuilt front suspension, new ball joints and teflon coated rod ends in wishbones. Also all the bolts in the car stripped and replated (Gold Zinc Oxide).

Scorpion Front Calipers rebuilt, new slotted front rotors, Goodrich braided brake lines

Engine bay with K-Mac strut tops fitted, engine cross member, and steering components fitted

Custom built (by me) Carbon Fibre Roof vent

Carbon fibre Roof Vent fitted

This is Carbon Fibre tail light assy Mark 1 fitted which I've had on the car for a while hoping to modify carbon fibre surround and use the original tail light assys.

Most of the work I've completed myself, though I have been assisted a freind of mine to fabricate things such as the wishbones, tuned length exhaust headers, modifying the diff housing for rear disc brakes etc.

There are still also a couple of extra Carbon fibre bits to be fitted. Flush mount Carbon fibre bonnet pins, and a flush mount carbon fibre NACA scoop to feed the induction system some cold air.

Still weighing up engine mods which may include turbocharging and/or fuel injection, The bottom end and current compression would handle some forced air, though cost might limit this dream.

Look forward to sharing more pics as the build progress's.

Cheers,

Andrew
75glnt

Re: GD Galant Rally Car rebuild

Post by 75glnt »

looks good andrew! i've always wondered if there was any sort of rally and khana's around my area! im SW of toowoomba. good to see a galant getting around competing up here. not many left unfortunately.

is the diff the original one? or is it from a scorp?

where could i find more info on all the motorkhanas around the se qld region?

can't wait to see more progress on the old girl.

cheers,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
Andrew77

Post by Andrew77 »

Hi Mick,

The diff is a hybrid, The outer 4'' of the axle tubes and axles are from a early model scorp (GE i think) so the rear discs would fit. The casting that the calipers bolts to has been rotated 180 degrees to a trailing caliper set up as the scorps have a leading caliper set up which fowls on the galant shock absorber the rest of diff housing is Galant so the ex works LSD would fit. So the outer 4" of the scorp's axle tubes were cut off and the suspension links removed and then were welded to the galant axle tubes. reinforced shanferred sleeve internally to increase strength. I believe you would need to ensure you find a Scorp diff with axle tubes same outside diameter as Galant axle tubes. I'm pretty sure the later model scorps went to a larger diameter axle tube. Due to disc brake set up / wheel bearing etc had to use the scorpion axles also therefore the whole hybrid assembly is about 40mm wider from memory than a standard Galant Diff. The whole assembly works perfectly, I've done thousands of competitive Km's without a single issue. The whole Scorpion 4 wheel disc brake set up fitted has been excellent. To offset the greater volume of brake fluid being used(4 calipers opposed to 2 calipers and 2 drums), I fitted a larger bore master cylinder from a GD Galant wagon from memory approx 19mm bore as opposed to 17mm bored (sedan). Didn't bother with brake booster, pedal feel is heavier but works really well.

As for Motorsports clubs in South East QLD can't beat the Downs Motorsport Club ( formally AARG) at Toowoomba. check out their website www.downsmotorsportsclub.com.au. Great bunch of people and cheap racing. The Hirstglen dirt sprints entry fee was $50 for the weekend. We use go down and practice Saturday arvo, camp overnight at the track (had basic amentities) race all day Sunday. No to mention the track is absolutely awesome!!!!!

I really miss not being able to compete there anymore due to relocation to Melbourne

Cheers

Andrew
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

thanks for the reply andrew.

wow, the diff looks like it'd be a bitch for an everyday joe like myself. i can have a scorp diff if i like. free of charge. but seeing the mods done to yours. i may need the same. i have a gb. so i'd have to rotate the caliper mounts aswell?

i've always wanted to compete in khanas. not so much rally, i like a track that i know whats coming :p

i'd like to eventually have my gb a street track car. but i dont have a clue on suspension and brake upgrades. appart from the usual gh struts with the au s3 rotors and caliers. i hate asking on your own thread, but whats a good way to go? with coilovers and discs all round? without blowing my budget out of the water.

cheers,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
Andrew77

Post by Andrew77 »

Hi Mick,

I haven't messed around alot with different setups, I did try Starion brakes all round rear ventilated discs and calipers bolted straight up to my set up, fronts too with a bit of mucking around got all to fit but lost about 4" of front track. So I got rid of all that. The 4 wheel disc set up off the Scorpion has been the most hastle free set up for me personally. Everything, clearances etc all works well. The rear diff of scorpion would work, you'd need to cut all the mounts off, weld the leaf spring locaters on and change the orientation of the caliper mounts, if you've got a mig welder shouldn't be too much of a problem, the reinforcement of the join could be external, along as it doesn't effect the u-bolts for the leaf spring mounts. I did mine internally so the whole set up looks original and draws less attention from Rally scutineers.

When I built the starion front struts up I built them as coilovers, now that I'm not using that set up those struts are sitting in my shed i've had them advertised on the AUstarion forum for a while with no interest. The coilover threaded sleeves nuts and top spring plate are bought as a kit from Pedders for about $200 a side. Which you then weld onto the strut. Might cut off the threaded sleeves and they can be welded onto another strut, possibly Galant, if this is the case might put them for sale on Sigma-galant so watch this space.

Cheers,

Andrew
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Thanks for that info andrew. So the top of the struts? Will they bolt into my galant? As they are now. If so... What's your price? Do they have discs and calipers?

What size rims and tyres are you running? I'm thinking 215 rears and 195 fronts on my ga
N/A ALL THE WAY
Andrew77

Post by Andrew77 »

Hi Mick,

I'm running Starion 14 x 6 Rims all round with either 185 road tyres or 175 rally tyres. The increased track front and rear of the scorpion 4 wheel disc set up and the increased offset of the starion wheels (+18 opposed to +24) has me right on the limit of tyre width. I've had to role the rear guard to ensure clearance, and with a bump on turn in I quite regulary pinch the front guard. I'll role the front guards also during the rebuild and that will eliminate the issue. With +24 Sigma slot type alloys i have no clearance issues at all.

The Starion front struts, whilst i got them to fit I had to make a few modifications to wishbones to get clearance from the thicker ventilated discs of the Starion only to find that the offset of the axle hub is considerably less than the scorpion struts. With the starion set up I lost a total of 4" of front track, the wheels and tyres sat so far inside the guards they looked ridiculas which was made worse by the fact I was running about 3 degrees of camber. So I wouldn't bother with Starion struts.

I have cut the threaded sleeves off these struts and they are ready to weld onto any scorpion, galant or sigma strut that has an 54mm strut diameter. The top spring mounts supplied with the kit proberly wont fit if your using a standard strut top, if you use a K-Mac adjustable strut they may with some spacers, though I've never tried it. I had custom tops made up, specs can be supplied if required.

looking to sell the pair of threaded sleeves for $100 will post them for sale on the forum when I get a chance shortly.

Cheers,

Andrew
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

hmm. very tempting :) id love coilovers in the gb. but id need more than the top half. have you got any links for the kits everyone goes on about?

cheers :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
JonH

Post by JonH »

Hi Andrew,

Apologies for contacting you like this on the forum - at least I hope I can!

I write for Mitsubishi Australia's customer magazine Eclipse and was wondering if you're interested in me doing a story on your GD Galant?

We have a section every issue called Rear View that takes a look at classic Mitsubishis and I'm always on the lookout for interesting cars.

Nothing too technical (it's for general readership unfortunately, not tech heads) but your car looks like a good story.

I'm based in St Kilda and it looks like you're in Melbourne so if you could give me a call on 0418 391 804 that'd be fantastic.

My name's Jonathan Hawley by the way so Google away and I should be on there somewhere out on the web if you need to confirm my bona fides.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

(He can only do it if the whole community gets a mention)

Anything that boosts awareness of our cars!
pbudge

Post by pbudge »

Hi Andrew,

I am after a bit more information on the modifications you made to the lower arm, in particular how do you adjust the castor? I imagine to adjust the camber all you do is adjust the two rod ends which can be seen. Are you able to provide a couple of photos of the mounting to the chassis?

Also with the coilover struts you made did you use original shocks, or did you use different ones which had to have spacers put into the strut tube or shortened the strut tube?
Andrew77

Post by Andrew77 »

Struts are from a Scorpion, castor is achieved by adjusting rear rod end in or out, therefore changing angle wishbone, camber by adjusting front and rear in or out, do bulk of adjust at the wishbone, then fine tune via the strut tops.

If you take a look at the photo above of the bare strut installed you'll notice that the wishbone is bolted to a solid stainless steel shaft which is then directly bolted to the factory cross member mounting points (as per PRC (Production Rally Car) regulations). This shaft has a flat machined on the upper surface so it mates nicely to the cross member. The ends of the shaft are threaded and the rod ends slide over the bolt shanks and are also retained by these bolts. I use 5/8th" Teflon coated rod ends as to ensure that most of the wishbone movement/pivot is carried out by the bearing not the bolt shank and as added precaution the Shaft end bolts a loctited in. I've run this set for quite a number of years without any issues, though I do regularly check all the bolts for tightness prior too and during an event as part of it's routine maintenance. Rod End Specs, 5/8th" I/D on bearing eye & therefore 5/8th" retaining bolt. Shank of rod end is also 5/8th" where it threads into the wishbone.
As for Shocks I use a standard Galant inserts, I have a contact within Pedders and I've had the inserts rebuilt to a custom 'Rally A Spec' (well that's what they call it) that has worked very well.

Hope this helps.
pbudge

Post by pbudge »

Have you also chopped the original press in ball joint from the control arm and fitted a bolt on one? Does this allow for further adjustments?
Andrew77

Post by Andrew77 »

Yep chopped the pressed ball joints and fitted bolt on Starion ones. The brake set up in the front end photo of the 4 wheel solid disc scorpion set-up I use for autocross, but I'm also working on a fully ventilated 4 wheel disc set up for Rallies that runs Starion rotors all round with Starion/Series 3 RX7 calipers on the back with 4 pot Series 3 RX7 at the front. The bolt in ball joint allows for greater clearance between the edge of the thicker ventilated rotor and the ball joint. With the pressed in ball joint there was potential for the rotor and wishbone to rub. Once I get clearances sorted with the front I will post photos of the 4 wheel ventilated disc set up. Rears were easy, straight bolt up of calipers and discs no mods required.
Andrew77

Post by Andrew77 »

It's has been a long while since I posted

The Galant is very close to finished and we're just sorting out some teething issues that all newly rebuilt cars get. A lot man hours put in, but all worth it in the end.

I'll let pictures do the talking.
If you notice gearbox not installed, photo of interior taken prior to gearbox fittment.

Please follow the Team Mexico facebook page for further updates on what's going on with the car and team.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Andrew.