Smokey's 1972 Galant Colt 4G63 build

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
Smokey

Smokey's 1972 Galant Colt 4G63 build

Post by Smokey »

I bought my 1972 Colt coupe a few months ago and after sorting a few naggy little problems and getting it up to WoF standard, I started looking for an engine upgrade. I decided to go for a SOHC 4G63T narrow block. It seemed to give about the power i want, looked pretty straight forward and wasnt too expensive.

Anyway, heres the Colt:

I looked around for a bit and ended up finding this motor:

The motor was from a 1989 Sigma GSR-X but was originally a factory test motor the previous owner had imported from Japan. It had only done 100,000ks since being put into the car. The first thing I needed to do was convert it to RWD. I picked up RWD inlet manifold and throttle body. It was an older "type 1" manifold and I wanted to use the newer "type 2" so I had to make up an adapter plate because of the different water galleries between the two types.

Heres the difference:

I ended up making up the adapter plate, but have no photos of it. It was pretty straight to make, just the flange from the type 2 cut into 5mm alloy plate with its outside edges cut out the same as the type 1 flange. All the bolt holes and inlet hole line up so if you have the 2 different gaskets, a marker pen, drill and air grinder its pretty easy.

I changed the water pump and switched around the turbo. Was still figuring out where to point the compressor housing at this point.

I replaced the cam belt and removed the balance shafts. Heres the end result:

I picked up a Starion exhaust manifold so the turbo clears the steering box. A mate of mine was clearing out his garage and had some Mitsi stuff he didnt want so gave be a box of stuff for $100. i got 2 TD05Hs (one was busted), an Evo down pipe and exhaust manifold, gaskets to suit and 50ft of exhaust wrap. Pretty sweet deal.

Heres the top mount and TD05H:

After pissing around with the original injection system and trawling the internet i finally found a multi point injection setup. It came with GSR injectors and was already chopped and swapped. Pretty stoked.

Here it is:

The way the cut and shut was done, the distributor cap interfered with the throttle body. But i opened it up and found this:

The optical input can be used as a CAS so Ill be running an aftermarket ECU and wasted spark setup.

I put everything together and got it ready to put into the Colt. Heres some pics:

I pulled the old 4G32 out and removed the battery holder:

I made up this gearbox crossmember to accommodate the 5 speed gearbox. This is an early version of it, it needed a bit of adjustment.

And then, the new engine went in:

It was a tight fit.

A little too tight on the master cylinder side:

I fitted the new fuel feed line. Braided -6 line clamped on with 12mm P clamps attached to M6 bolts tacked on every 250mm.

And whilst I was at it I figured i should check out the diff... A good idea if you wanna ram 3 times the intended horsepower up it. Looks mint!

I fitted an new master cylinder, to clear the turbo. It was from an EX Lancer and had the pipes coming out the top instead. The bundy pipe was pretty easy to manipulate. The master cylinder is 15/16 diameter instead of the Colts 3/4 so should help the brakes out too. I test fitted it all with the down pipe ive tacked up (Work in progress)

Fitted up the fuel pressure regulator:

And heres how its looking at the moment:

Still have to:

Install the intercooler
Intercooler piping
Plumbing (oil + water)
Exhaust pipe
Radiator fans
Relocate battery
Install surge tank
Wire in ECU
Guages etc..

So much to do!
webby

Re: Smokey's 1972 Galant Colt 4G63 build

Post by webby »

:thumpsup: :thumpsup:
Nice work mate.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
A112H

Post by A112H »

I saw this for sale on trade me a few months back, glad it went to a good home :)

Great looking build so far, keep us up to date with the progression :thumpsup:
yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

bro this is the sickest build ! loven it

keep the good work up man, keen to see more photos and how it all goes! :thumpsup:
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Thanks everyone! The build is going well with a lot of progress lately. i was trying to get it all done by New Years but seems pretty unlikely at the moment lol. Ive been working on the turbo down pipe today. Its being somewhat difficult. Much frustration lol. Ill post a pic of it when I get it finished. I also found AN fittings for the turbo water and oil feed, which should do the job well and look pretty sweet :D
yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

sweet keen to see how u go :thumpsup:
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

So I've managed to get a little bit done these last few days. The down pipe is about half done. I have it half welded and tacked up for test fitting. The wastegate port was a bit difficult to make as the down pipe was built in small sections, but I dont think its too bad for a first go. The down pipe would actually be finished by now if the welder hadn't run out of Argo Shield...

Heres where it's at currently:

I have also made progress on the surge tank. It's also in a half-done state. A couple more fittings and a few bolts to hold it down and it'll be sweet as.

Heres a crumby pic:

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Im having a nice chilled out day today, but have done a little more. I have the gearbox crossmember back in. I had a problem with it when i was reinforcing the hols for the 5 speed. The metal got a little too hot and the glue let go.. No good. So I had to use some hardcore rubber glue to put it back together. It looks to be holding fine but I think Ill just get a 5 speed mount next time . The fuel system looks to be in a usable state. Good enough to get the car going etc but not for the road just yet. Still need to sort out all the wiring and the battery relocation, so not finished in the boot just yet. Hopefully it'll be good in a week or so.

Well, heres some pics:

Crossmember:

Fuel setup: