Cottees' 1987 Sigma GN GSR Super Edition

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
turbogj260

Re: Cottees' 1987 Sigma GN GSR Super Edition

Post by turbogj260 »

unless you actually put some oil in that oil pump (prime it up) I can guarantee when u start that car up you will not have any oil pressure. Also did you use a balance shaft delete kit? There is a mettal ring insert you need to put in the opening of the top balance shaft to block up the oil gallery.
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

turbogj260 wrote:unless you actually put some oil in that oil pump (prime it up) I can guarantee when u start that car up you will not have any oil pressure.
Yep, I thought of that. Going to turn it over by hand to get oil through the system first, then start her up.
turbogj260 wrote:Also did you use a balance shaft delete kit? There is a mettal ring insert you need to put in the opening of the top balance shaft to block up the oil gallery.
Yep, and nup, that metal ring just refuses to fit, so I modded the balance shaft mount to block off that gallery. Well... I modded the mount before realising I had the ring.
turbogj260

Post by turbogj260 »

still wont work, the pump NEEDS oil inside of it to get suction. turning it by hand aint gonna do squat buddy.
81 Turbo GJ SIG-260
04 BA GT BA GT
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Got bored and continued modifying the custom surround for the TM Magna digital dash.

Picked up a can of Plasti Dip Blaze Blue since Autobarn was out of Black, and gave it a try doing pin striping. The tape let it bleed, and I was a little high in the middle.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Is that the bottom of a commodore dash cluster??
N/A ALL THE WAY
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

75glnt wrote:Is that the bottom of a commodore dash cluster??
The main part is from a GJ-GN Sigma, and the insert where the status lights go is from a TN/TP Magna Elite.

75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Oh :) I had one of those magnas as my 1st car.. 87 (if that's the model?). Elite. Was pretty flash :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Was fiddling around with the digital dash, and got it powered up.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Nice work there Michael Knight....when does the dashboard go back into your Trans-Am? :lol:
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I tried painting the side mirrors with Plasti Dip Black, and they came out well.
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

turbogj260 wrote:unless you actually put some oil in that oil pump (prime it up)

Last time I rebuilt a motor, OMG over 22 yrs ago :facepalm: , I slapped a lump of light grease into the pump. Worked a charm. :thumpsup:

cheers

BTW, that mirror came up quite good eh....
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

i filled my astron oil pump with assembly lube when i built my engine. had oil pressure pretty quickly.
if its dry though it likely wont pick up oil at all, or atleast VERY slowly till its gears get wet. not a risk id want to take
Insert witty one liner here -->
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Took the rocker train off the car today. One of the tappets didn't want to leave.

Pulled it apart to give it a quick clean and inspection.

One of the springs have scratched the side of one of the rockers. But not too bad.

A scratch on one of the rollers. There is no marks on the cam though.

All back together ready for the new tappets.

Cleaned out the head of all the old oil, and gave it a quick look over while there.

Finished part of the rust repair in the rear quarter.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I took the sump off today since the gasket is broken anyway, and give it a good clean and inspect everything else at the same time.

Looks like I am missing a balance shaft though.

Everything else looks good though.

Done a little cleaning of the sump, and stuck some magnets in there to catch any crap that does come out. Did find some small bits of metal, but nothing too bad.

Temporarily put one of the mouldings back on to check to see what it looks like.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I'm really liking the blue striping in the moulds over the traditional....its incredible how such a small detail can make such a dramatic impact like that.....

But it's a welcoming change IMO...great work thus far :thumpsup:
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Cottees wrote:Done a little cleaning of the sump, and stuck some magnets in there to catch any crap that does come out. Did find some small bits of metal, but nothing too bad.
I would place the magnets a little further out, not under the pickup... this will allow a better flow of oil into the pickup AND if there is a hit on the bottom of the sump, they won't detach from the bottom and re-attach onto the pickup screen, blocking the oil flow.

Also, wire brush the area where the magnets will go and STRONGLY SECURE them to the sump with an oil resistant glue.

The only other issue I have with this setup is how you will remove the metal particles. If you don't remove them regularly, they will build up over time, and a sharp jar may dislodge a large amount of them, sending a large clump straight through the oil pump.

This is why I use a bypass oil filter. It captures 1/120th size particles, a standard oil filter can capture.

Cheers.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

The magnets are very strong, and probably would take one hell of a whack for them to dislodge. As is, I can move them around, but take a lot to be able to get them off the bottom of the sump. I was putting them under where the pick up would be since most of the oil would pass by there. I can probably move them out further to improve flow though. I plan on eventually running an oil cooler, so could investigate a bypass filter at the same time.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Because of putting a Magna oil pump into the GN, the timing chain cover wouldn't fit. I had the same issue with the LC. The LC's timing chain cover wasn't on the engine, so I took it off and used it for reference.

Closer look at what failed on the LC, hence why that engine is apart.

Got it cut out for oil pump clearance.

Test fit on the block, and it is very close. There is a small gap between the block and the timing chain cover, but that'll be filled by the gasket.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

A photo I forgot to add. The sump had been beaten up a little, and some of the paint had started to come off. I had some Aluminium colour Rustkill handy, so sprayed it with that. Before that, I beat the crap out of it to get the main dent in the middle out. Good test to see about the magnet moving, and they didn't budge.
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Lookin good there Cottees.

cheers
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Cut out a little more out of the timing chain cover, and it sits much nicer now.

Good girl, drink up all your apple cider!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

The sump gasket I bought was too big.

I made it fit.

While putting the rocker assembly bolts in by hand, one of them snapped.

Got a start on the heat shield.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Cottees wrote:The sump gasket I bought was too big.... ...I made it fit.
FFR.. Magna or GN sump gasket would have worked fine for they both are narrow Astron ENGINES, which are different to Narrow BLOCK Astron engines (referring to the bell housing size).

Cheers.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Cottee's......The efi wiring diagram that you posted back on page 4 or 5. Was that the final production model ?? Or were there changes.??

shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Hey mate I have a huge bag of the side decal Clips brand new. Do you want a few? The ones that hold the side skirting stuff on.

Great thread by the way!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Superscan811 wrote:
Cottees wrote:The sump gasket I bought was too big.... ...I made it fit.
FFR.. Magna or GN sump gasket would have worked fine for they both are narrow Astron ENGINES, which are different to Narrow BLOCK Astron engines (referring to the bell housing size).
I got the one that Sprint had listed under the GN 1987, and that is what I got. I could have taken it back, but cbf'd.
Sigmaproject wrote:Cottee's......The efi wiring diagram that you posted back on page 4 or 5. Was that the final production model ?? Or were there changes.??
That is exactly what is in the GN at the moment. Works perfectly, except for a couple wires on mine were broken.
shuggy wrote:Hey mate I have a huge bag of the side decal Clips brand new. Do you want a few? The ones that hold the side skirting stuff on.

Great thread by the way!
Thanks! I think I have enough clips at the moment, but thanks for the offer. If I do need any, I'll yell out.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Tried out painting the nose cone black to see what it would look like.

I have moved the placement of the MAF and filter as I made a mistake with the heat shield.

I have decided to make an air box.

Built a cardboard version to check fitment. Slight problems, but it was easier to change on cardboard than Aluminium.
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

Keep at it,it looks like it is coming together well ...I like your tech drawing..but your penmanship resembles your garden.Tidy that shit up fella.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Got a little more done to the GN today. Moved some stuff around to fit better and neatened other parts up.
ozdusterdave wrote:Keep at it,it looks like it is coming together well ...I like your tech drawing..but your penmanship resembles your garden.Tidy that shit up fella.
My penmanship has always been messy. The garden isn't mine, but my parent's. They'll get it sorted out soon.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Question...Your exhaust manifold ,is that Sigma or Magna ??

Hint... when using ordinary masking tape for pinstripes, spray a coat of clear along the masked area first. This will then creep under the tape and seal the edge. Then spray your colour. Better still, use pinstripe tape :)