Kens 4G63 GC Galant - Finally painted!

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
kenvv

Re: kens GC 4g63 sedan - *lots of pics

Post by kenvv »

took the wheels to both extensive wheel and rim repairs and adelaide wheel and rim repairs. both places wanted $90-100 per rim to polish. not including fixing the gutter rash. not a price im willing to fork out at the moment no matter how much better they would look.

and dave the holes around the rim dont have thread in them for bolts. so i think they used to have the black plastic clip in type studs. not to sure.

one of the tyres was flat so dropped that off today to see if they can fix the puncture or not so can test fit them at some stage and order some new rear tyres to suit.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

it would be worth that in the long run but if you dont have the cash
at the moment i would leave them as is, could look very jdm with some nice rubber on them
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

kenvv wrote: both places wanted $90-100 per rim to polish. not including fixing the gutter rash.
How much more did they want to fix the gutter rash?
For that price, maybe you should pay for to and from postage to get them here, I could sort them out for you, easy as with my setup.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

cheers dave, bit of a hassle at the moment to post etc. see how much cash i have after the engine rebuild. will get the bill in next few days :| will see if i can get them done somewhere closer to home.

they didnt give me a price for the rash. think they noticed i wasnt that interested after the price just for polish. they would look much better and should get them done but have other priorities with the car. want and alarm asap. would be crushed if it got knicked after all this time and cash spent
vrooooom vrooooom!!
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

If the tyres are removed, you can send a set of wheels to NSW for around $60 using e-go. I've used em quite a few times now with 0 hassle so definitely worth while taking up Daves offer I would say ;)
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

ive seen those rims with a cap head bolts and nuts on back.....many styles of bolt heads available..take your pick!
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

yeh i will see how they look on the car and decide if i want bolts on them or not. just regoed galant as mechanic said i might be able to pick it up tomorrow fingers crossed. so i spent a bit of time spraying up the door trims and rear seat today. will post some pics up later. im stoked, just hope i cleaned them well enough that the paint holds.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

pics of todays effort.... :thumpsup:

vrooooom vrooooom!!
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Looks great. That vinyl paint works well.

My dad used it on his hardtop to change it from brown to black. He later came across another hardtop that was being used as a club car that had perfect original black trim and did a swap with the guy.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

why would someone swap an original black trim for a sprayed one? i would have kept that for myself :lol:
vrooooom vrooooom!!
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

He was using the car for motokhanas and dirt circuit events and didn't care too much about the condition of the car.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

fair enough. well sweet news for your dad then :thumpsup:
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Thats come up really well. I have never seen it used before and was dubious but it looks the goods :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Vinyl spray works very well. On door trims (and stuff like that) it lasts for years. On seats, not so well (unless no one sits on them). Steering wheels are a massive failure (I tried this on my VK Commodore), it lasts about 1 week.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

my seats have lasted well! 5years...prepsol works great! :thumpsup:
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i went back to the wreckers today and found an untorn passenger seat. its the same pattern as on the rears so i bought it. will clean it up and spray like the others. however now i have two front seats of a different pattern. so i will still be on the lookout for another clean one for the drivers side to match the passenger and rear seat.

im also thinking of going back to a stock steering wheel if i can track down a clean one. my old sigma had a deep dish galant one that i liked. not sure what model it was from though. but if can find one of them i would be keen.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Lancer Hatch wheels look factory in a Galant.

Dave...
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Yeah Lancer hatch and Galant hardtop steering wheels are the best looking early factory wheels IMO

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

im not sure what the early lancer or galant wheels look like? the GD at the wreckers had some ugly huge steering wheel so didnt want that
vrooooom vrooooom!!
woops

Post by woops »

Here are some pics of the wheels i have here. The one fitted I think is a GTO steering wheel or is a gto horn button on a lancer steering wheel. The lancer steering wheel i think is the same but has a completely black horn button. The one lower is the galant hardtop one.

This is the only image of a GTO steering wheel that i could find so i'm not sure about the wheel but i know the horn button is the same. Also the US galant hardtop had the best factory steering wheel IMO but almost no chance of finding that one.

'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

the first one looks cool. its not the one im thinking of. the one i had isnt shown there. i might have to just keep my eyes peeled for a while.

oh wait i found a pic. its the one in this link.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3632

either the first one in your post or that one i would be interested in.

are the steering wheels interchangeable between galant and lancer models?
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i put the new rear seat and door trims on yesterday, quite pleased with how they look. just need to get some more paint to do the rear wheel arch on the inside too. also want to paint the door handles on the inside. see pics....
going to wait a bit before doing the front trims. mine currently have speaker holes cut into them. still undecided wether to cut the new trims to use front speakers or leave as is and only use the rear ones in parcel shelf. have no stereo at the moment. still new in boxes in my room at the moment.

also test fitted my rims thismorning. they sat ok. realised my car has a 5mm slip on spacer on the rear too. so with the spacer still on this is how they sat. obviously need much bigger tyres which will be getting when they get all put on etc. current tyres are only stretched 165/55's

vrooooom vrooooom!!
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

I take it ya talking about this wheel?
Think i have one in the shed but it's silver not black on the bit's of metal with the hole's in it.
Will dig out what i have and let ya know.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

kenvv

Post by kenvv »

yeh thats the one man. my old one had silver metal bits too. interested.....cheers :thumpsup:
vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

kenvv wrote:are the steering wheels interchangeable between galant and lancer models?
Yes they will fit. Sigmas, Scorpions, L300, and L200's too.
That's a GE/H Sigma wheel.
The base of it is squarish, and wont match up with the Galant steering column very well. All Galant/ Lancer steering columns are round, where the Sigmas are squarish. In other words, it will always look like it's not meant to be there.

Dave...
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i see what ya saying dave. well he doesnt live to far away from me so i might just test fit it if he has one and see how out of place it looks.

on another note i gave the car a cut and polish today. the paint is faded. has seen better days as was basically neglected in the sun for years by old owner. whilst it was clean i put my new sticker on too....
ive uploaded a list of all the major stuff that has been done in the last 6 months that has stopped me from being able to drive it. :@ the first bill is basically a waste of time and cash as all that work was redone in the second bill including fixing the handbrake again

vrooooom vrooooom!!
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Kenvv just picked up the top left one (GH Sports wheel). These are the other two that i have that i got out of a GD Coupe (top right) and GD Sedan (bottom)
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

kenvv

Post by kenvv »

damn i didnt realise you had more. i like the gd sedan one too. is that flatter or also a deep wheel?
vrooooom vrooooom!!
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

All dished, but the other's aren't for sale.

kenvv

Post by kenvv »

ooooh i seeee haha no harm in trying :P

give me a pm or msg when you get hold of the horn button
vrooooom vrooooom!!