ISKA8's MITSUBISHI SIGMA GK GSR TURBO BUILD...ENGINE SOLD!!

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
ISKA8

Re: ISKA.8's turbo build....UPDATE! PAINTED!!! well alsmost.

Post by ISKA8 »

ok i thought ill post some more pics of the painting process...i painted,then flowcoated the doors last night and today decided there dry enough to be put back on the car.
my brother also put together the new black glittery roof lining and all the black plastics and sunvisors..
played around with the engine aswell,getting all the vacuum hoses in place and also wiring in order..
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

ill post more pics up as i go along and try get them in better quality :thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
A112H

Post by A112H »

Mate, that looks awesome. Can't wait to see it finished. How did the body trims come up? Have you painted them yet?
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

A112H wrote:Mate, that looks awesome. Can't wait to see it finished. How did the body trims come up? Have you painted them yet?
yeah thanks jason,it scubs up alright!
i havnt painted the body trims yet,just gotta focus on all the big panels first.

ive tried to get the bonnet as straight as i could but i think its gonna come up really crap,too many ripples in it and there all in the middle where the crease is??
might just havd to paint it for the time being and look for a better bonnet to paint again? :banh: :banh:
MY NEW TOY F6310
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

If you're going to get another starter motor anyway, why not have a crack at pulling yours apart and taking a look at it's guts- just for curiousity's sake? It's a bit like stripping your first carby, you think it's full of dark magic and shouldn't be screwed with but once you've done it you learn something. Might need a good clean and the contacts on the armature gently sanded smooth and polished up. Unless the windings have burnt out or the contacts are completely worn down you should be able to resurrect it. You've DIY'ed everything else and done a great job of it too! just a thought... ;-)
A112H

Post by A112H »

I had the same idea about a trans once geezer, turns out they ARE full of dark magic, lol
All I remember is it had a brain inside and springs and ball barings were shooting everywhere, thats a bit of an exageration but you get the point :lol:
But starters and alts are easy peasy :thumpsup:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Now that's a gadget I wouldn't stuff around with- except to put a service kit into. BIG BUCK$$$ TO DE-F@#K!
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

geezer101 wrote:If you're going to get another starter motor anyway, why not have a crack at pulling yours apart and taking a look at it's guts- just for curiousity's sake? It's a bit like stripping your first carby, you think it's full of dark magic and shouldn't be screwed with but once you've done it you learn something. Might need a good clean and the contacts on the armature gently sanded smooth and polished up. Unless the windings have burnt out or the contacts are completely worn down you should be able to resurrect it. You've DIY'ed everything else and done a great job of it too! just a thought... ;-)
you know what geezer,im going to try it out?got nothing to lose plus im just in the middle of purchasing another starter from a guy on here (rxcorp) for $30 bangers. :P
ill give it a go tonight and let you know how everything pans out :thumpsup:
im just gonna go by what you have said: "Might need a good clean and the contacts on the armature gently sanded smooth and polished up. Unless the windings have burnt out or the contacts are completely worn down you should be able to resurrect it."
MY NEW TOY F6310
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Good on ya dude! If it works you've got $30 in your pocket- take yourself out to lunch. :thumpsup:
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

geezer101 wrote:Good on ya dude! If it works you've got $30 in your pocket- take yourself out to lunch. :thumpsup:
ok geezer ive tried and tried and then i got out the sledge hammer and then that worked.. :@ :lol:
then i went to glens house aka RXCORP and bought a magna one :thumpsup: fits perfect and i also had some KFC for lunch to top it off.
thanks again to RXCORP,bloody good bloke :thumpsup:
MY NEW TOY F6310
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Rest in piece(s) starter motor. Well, at least you'll be able start your car now! :|
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

geezer101 wrote:Rest in piece(s) starter motor. Well, at least you'll be able start your car now! :|
:lol: :lol:
yeah still a bit to go in the way of the motor firing up,but almost there :) .
i decided to put all the radiator,thermo fan,fan shroud,door handles(matte black),intercooler piping,intercooler(all painted black),painted the gaurds,petrol cap,front and back metal bumpers,new roof lining finally in (black seude not the ugly cream vinyl colur) and door trims all done.all thats left in the bay is pretty much all vacuum lines and adjust the timing before firing it up :D .
now for the bad news,finally took another stab at my bonnet and realised that it needs too much work than i can bare so ive decided to purchase a better one.back to the drawing board.... :hit: still gotta paint the boot,inside and out,prepare the bonnet for hi fill and paint and finish the boot carpet and surge tank box.
ive taken some pics of the progress but still with my sh#@ty camera but ill get my brother to take some better ones :thumpsup:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
and the donor car that i found at the wreckers,it was a one owner and had done 84000kms.i was going to buy hte whole car but my misses would have divorced my ass!
MY NEW TOY F6310
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

Looking good buddy! :thumpsup:
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I know that tune well... my wife would go homicidal if I brought home another 'work in progress'. She really wanted a karmann ghia and we (unfortunately) found a '64. Buying one that's been 'restored' is like playing russian roulette with an uzi. So we forked out $4000 for badly rusted, engine and interiorless wreck. When I can invest the time and money to work on it, it will be a great car. But mortgage, kids, bills are coming first. I found a pair of scorpions for sale, both 2.6 manuals for $1500 but couldn't face the wrath of god that would go with it! :facepalm:
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

geezer101 wrote:I know that tune well... my wife would go homicidal if I brought home another 'work in progress'. I found a pair of scorpions for sale, both 2.6 manuals for $1500 but couldn't face the wrath of god that would go with it! :facepalm:
ISKA8 wrote:and the donor car that i found at the wreckers,it was a one owner and had done 84000kms.i was going to buy hte whole car but my misses would have divorced my ass!
and i thought i was the only one LMAO!!
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well done ISKA8, it looks like you've got a really nice finish on your paint work. Very nice job for a first time :thumpsup:
I'm looking forward to seeing it all together and some good quality pics to go with it.
GLANT wrote:and i thought i was the only one LMAO!!
Oh no, far from it.
Looks like I've got my next project sorted, as long as all goes well. All I have to do now is pick up and pay for it.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

geezer101 wrote:But mortgage, kids, bills are coming first.
i agree with you 100%.. :thumpsup:
75wagon wrote:Well done ISKA8, it looks like you've got a really nice finish on your paint work. Very nice job for a first time
I'm looking forward to seeing it all together and some good quality pics to go with it.
cheers dave,yeah ill try throw some better pics up very soon..
GLANT wrote:and i thought i was the only one LMAO!!
your not alone buds..
MY NEW TOY F6310
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

Ok guys today i started painting all the smaller bits of the car like:
nosecone,sill under the headlights,rear garnish,rear quarter vents,bottom stone tray,under the boot and mirrors all in 2k black...
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
MY NEW TOY F6310
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

:o :o i forgot to mention that i tried firing up the sigma and :facepalm: it wouldnt bloody start..well it finally did but its still idleing like sh@#??
me and a mate have checked every possible thing and have come up short? very very confusing.
i dont know what it could be but have brand new leads,fuel,plugs look good and are new,timing is spot on,coil is new,all wiring and fuel lines are in order,fassit pump and surgie are working and pumping fuel ?? i might have forgotten what we have tried but..
we even pulled the injectors out and held them tight on just the rail to see if they were firing,only one wasnt as it wasnt get any power but we soon fixed that,we think?
also seems that number 2 and 3 arnt getting any power?? it idles but really rough and struggling?
anyone have any ideas i havnt tried yet ? :banh:
MY NEW TOY F6310
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I had one of those moments when I swapped the head on my LB Lancer for a fresh imported one... :banh: Had it set up text book- wouldn't fire. I fully advanced the dizzy- no one home. Fully retarded the dizzy- got a cough of life out of it but it still wouldn't run. I ended up removing the distributor and turning the rotor 180 degrees, then swapping the leads over to make number four fire as number one. The distributor was out like half a tooth. I got it running sweet. Then it got wiped out badly (as in DO NOT RESCUSITATE) and sold the wreck. I warned the guy not to screw with the distributor setting or he'd be in for a nightmare session in the garage. It was one of those weird things that happens. I don't know if this could be your problem but when it won't even fire you can't get a timing light on it to check your base timing settings. Hope my tale helps you on your way. ;-)
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

cheers buds,im getting a timing light today to see were hopefully the problem lies.it has to be something small i hope?
ill let you know how it goes anyway :thumpsup: thanks!
MY NEW TOY F6310
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

P.s. IT IS NOT A STARTER MOTOR, PUT THE BIG FREAKIN' HAMMER DOWN AND BACK AWAY SLOWLY... :lol: Good luck with sorting it. If everything else is doing it's thing, can only be something small holding you up.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

geezer101 wrote:P.s. IT IS NOT A STARTER MOTOR, PUT THE BIG FREAKIN' HAMMER DOWN AND BACK AWAY SLOWLY... :lol: Good luck with sorting it. If everything else is doing it's thing, can only be something small holding you up.
:lol: :lol: yeah bro tried to day and still same ol' sh@#..cant figure it out ? now im thinking maybe the magna dizzy pissed itself coz im not getting any power or very little to plugs 3 & 4 ?? still idels like crap :facepalm: but i dont know ?
im pretty sure its something electrical but who bloody knows? :banh: :banh:
MY NEW TOY F6310
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

sounds like u are infact having the exact same problem, except mine was 1 and 2. Got that working, then it totally stopped working all together :@ :@ :facepalm: :banh: :ban:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

GC75 wrote:sounds like u are infact having the exact same problem, except mine was 1 and 2. Got that working, then it totally stopped working all together :@ :@ :facepalm: :banh: :ban:
well ive got all 4 plugs firing and still running like crap? :banh: cant cant figure it out and it has bloody well broken me...
so now im going to either take it back to maztech and get charged a fortune to get it running or take to someone else who my freind at ENGINE PRO is recommending to.
so ill see what happens :( .
MY NEW TOY F6310
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

if it hasnt already been suggested since your cars been resprayed id go round checking every point of your loom where it becomes grounded, when i painted my white GJ a while back i painted the engine bay black and did the same thing, wouldnt start and that turned out to be the ground from the battery to the block, then it ran like crap and that turned out to be the ground from the coil to the body then ran sweet :thumpsup: might not be it but could be worth just double checking? :think:

M.B :thumpsup:
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

BINGO, I was going to suggest the same thing :P
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

84GKSIG wrote:if it hasnt already been suggested since your cars been resprayed id go round checking every point of your loom where it becomes grounded, when i painted my white GJ a while back i painted the engine bay black and did the same thing, wouldnt start and that turned out to be the ground from the battery to the block, then it ran like crap and that turned out to be the ground from the coil to the body then ran sweet :thumpsup: might not be it but could be worth just double checking? :think:

M.B :thumpsup:
now that sounds like a plan especially that its happened before..im going to try it tomorrow as i took the car to my brothers workshop and got him to check it out..they tested the injectors by removing them and the fuel rail,turning the car over and seeing if they they are firing?turned out the 2 injectors werent working but still had power coming from the ecu?i then went to maztech who suuplied the injectors,they done a injector test infront of me and they seemed to be working fine,all are firing and exact..
in saying that your idea rings a bell and makes so much bloody sensce.thanks for the info buds and ill let you know how it goes :thumpsup:
MY NEW TOY F6310
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

ok so i checked to see if the motor or any part is getting earth and it defanatly is so that rules that out of the question..anyhow i finally figured out what the problem(s) were and got the car running sweet :D
firstly the vacuum line from the plenum to the microtech wasnt connected,the 2 injectors had the earth plugs pushed in so it wasnt getting complete earth to the to fire up and a new set of high performance denso plugs... :thumpsup: now the car as it stands is at my brothers shop getting just the boost,,boost controller and water gauges put in ready for maztech's final dyno.
i have booked the car in for the final run on monday morning so i should have it monday night(fingers crossed) with power figures and everything going smoothly i hope!
then i can finally get back into painting the rest of the parts as ive been distracted by the motor..ive posted some pics up of the car at my brothers workshop and how im mounting the gauges,there's going to be four in total and if you have seen im my previous post i bought a digital boost controller that my brother said not to use as once the cars running i might be tempted to raise the boost occasionally :P so im buying just a standard single stage boost controller that sits in my engine bay so i dont stuff things up,which i most likely will.. :D .............
MY NEW TOY F6310
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

Image Image Image Image Image Image

also im not having a go at nathan aka (khronny) but did you use any hardner when you painted the rocker cover?? as me my brother and my cousin were playing around with the injectors,obviously fuel sprays in alot of places including the rocker cover and once it got any fuel or even when the car was running the paint started melting all over my motor,hands,injectors pretty much everwere man??im not having a go at you bro and im not worried bout the $50 but it was perfect in apperance but not practical when put on the car...to me i reckon as ive painted my whole car so far that there was no hardner in that paint hence the paint coming off :( . but i dont know what you used? i gave it you buds coz i couldnt mask up the black lines but even they came off... :banh:
Image Image Image Image you cant see much in the pics but its pretty much screwed..just be careful on other peoples rocker cover and yours man,just a freindly comment..
i also liked to throw some pics up of my brothers ford xy gs fairmont with is pumping out over 900hp 418ci and just broke the 9.013 @ 144mph,wheelspinning half track (couldnt hook up).his still got alot of tinkering to do to push it up into the 8's but he is getting there.
also got my cousins genuine bt1 vl turbo 30l turbo a8 standard block with descent head work and 850hp garrett turbo on standard exhaust manifold and inlet aswell....
ran a 10.60 @ 133mph on 27psi (wtf) with boost cut and coulnt stall the car on takeoff..these cars are bloody terrorfying on the road and are street registed.i sh@# my self when hoping into them..
Image Image Image
Image Image
MY NEW TOY F6310