Hello from Manila, Philippines ~ '78 GH Sigma owner

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
jbautist2

Hello from Manila, Philippines ~ '78 GH Sigma owner

Post by jbautist2 »

Hello everyone!

I am Jonathan Bautista, 21 years old, from Manila, Philippines. I'm a proud owner of a 1978 Sigma (known as Mitsubishi Galant Σ Sigma here in the Philippines). It's my first car, which I acquired only 4 months ago (September 21, 2010) for a price equivalent to only AU$450.00. It was in good running condition (engine starts in just one-click) so at that low price, I didn't think twice about buying it immediately even though I don't drive yet. I learned to drive only 2 months later; I had to have a driver so I can use it as my daily service vehicle to the University where I am studying.

It has a 4G32 Saturn 1600 engine with stock Solex 28-32DIDTA-9 caburetor (manual choke), mated to the factory-installed optional 5-speed transmission.

I am the fourth owner of this car. The second owner had it for 13 years (1994-2007) and took very good care of it; the car had an engine overhaul, body repair and strip-to-metal paintwork in 1997-98 and had received new front seats, KYB gas shock absorbers on the rear and several stainless goodies - air cleaner, valve cover, distributor and muffler. The third owner had it for only 3 years (2007-2010) and he neglected the car so much which resulted in the current sad cosmetic condition of the car (faded paintwork and lots of rust here and there, some of which have rusted through the metal, especially underneath). The stainless valve cover and distributor survived, but the air cleaner was gone, the muffler was painted and the A/C was dead. The second owner was totally surprised when he saw it.

Anyway, I have begun the restoration of the car, little by little, particularly on the mechanicals. The rear brakes were completely serviced (brake shoes and wheel cylinders replaced); a new handbrake cable was installed, all oil seals in the engine were replaced; the clutch disc, pressure plate and release bearing were replaced; the carburetor was completely overhauled. I installed brand-new wiper assemblies and a surplus air cleaner as well. The car runs and drives smoothly now.

Here are pictures of my car, taken November 10, 2010. While looking at them, keep in mind that this is a 1978 model... YES, you read it right, it's a '78.

That's me standing beside the car. Stock 13" steel rims hidden behind the chrome hubcaps.

YES, it's a 1978 model!

Built by Chrysler Philippines, but sold under the Mitsubishi brand name:

Last edited by jbautist2 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
75wagon
Admin

Re: Hello from Manila, Philippines ~ '78 Sigma owner

Post by 75wagon »

Welcome Jonathan
You look like you have some work ahead of you with this one, but I have seen some of the restoration work carried out in the Philippines, it is brilliant.

What plans do you have for the car?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
jbautist2

Post by jbautist2 »

75wagon wrote:Welcome Jonathan
You look like you have some work ahead of you with this one, but I have seen some of the restoration work carried out in the Philippines, it is brilliant.

What plans do you have for the car?

Dave...
I intend to do an all-stock restoration on it, as I am overwhelmed that most of the surviving Sigmas here receive lots of (mostly untasteful) modifications. There are very, very few bone-stock Sigmas here nowadays, and the restorations on them are indeed top-notch. Many of the owners restore their cars to JDM specs, easily recognizable by the dual fender mirrors. I intend to restore mine back to how it looked when it rolled off the Chrysler-Mitsubishi showroom floor, with a single stainless side mirror, only on the driver's side.

I plan to finish all the mechanicals first (so it will be a very reliable daily driver) - the tie rods, ball joints and idler arm are due for replacement, while the front rotor discs are due for refacing. After that, I'll have a complete electrical re-wiring done on it. Finally I'll have it stripped to metal and repainted in metallic pearl white, with the upper portion of the doors painted in black; and I'll have a black vinyl installed over the roof. Vinyl roof was available as an optional accessory for Philippine-market Sigmas.
ddt

Post by ddt »

Hi there,
Welcome to Sigma-galant!
I have a 1979 "chrysler" sigma wagon. Your sigma is one year older but has "GH" front and rear ends that we didn't get until 1980.
I like your plans for your car -good luck with the project!
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

hey Jonathan,

welcome to the site, very detailed post you have there, i am looking forward to seeing more of you on the site and your restoration. :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
jbautist2

Post by jbautist2 »

ddt wrote:Hi there,
Welcome to Sigma-galant!
I have a 1979 "chrysler" sigma wagon. Your sigma is one year older but has "GH" front and rear ends that we didn't get until 1980.
I like your plans for your car -good luck with the project!
GC75 wrote:hey Jonathan,

welcome to the site, very detailed post you have there, i am looking forward to seeing more of you on the site and your restoration. :thumpsup:
Oh thank you very much! :)

I am actually wondering why it has the "GH" front and rear ends despite the fact that it is a '78. They have appeared on Japanese and New Zealand markets in 1979, so possibly an early production of the 1979 model year that was purchased in late 1978?

I have one question - about the black button located on top of the Sigma steering column, next to the four-way hazard flasher switch. As you may have noticed on one of the photos, it's missing on my Sigma. What is it for and how does it work?
rbaltazar1955

Re: Hello from Manila, Philippines ~ '78 GH Sigma owner

Post by rbaltazar1955 »

Hi there! I see that this was posted in 2011. How is your car doing?