G'day Jer Here

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
psshhhht

G'day Jer Here

Post by psshhhht »

G'day Guys,
The name is Jeremy, but prefer simply Jer. Live in Moe, Victoria (any other gippslanders here?).
I'm 21 and have in theory owned 2 sigmas (86 auto and a 78 2.0L 5 speed). I say in theory because the 86 was my sisters, and while she gave it to me, I never took ownership and didn't even drive it because I was young and very stupid and listened to my parents who have no interest in cars (damn!). The '78 I'm also bumbed about. I bought it for $450 a couple of years ago and it was mint, the body was soo straight, the interior was literally as new, it was one of those mythical old lady one-owners driven once a week to church only cars. The engine was in great nick and surprised me with a decent amount of power. It had a vinyl roof though and as a young player I didn't think to check around it for rust until I got home. that was when I found the there was literally about a 1.5-2.0cm gap all around the rear screen, the metal had been totally rusted away. The rear screen was only held in by 2 screws. Unfortunately at the time I was still broke and got totally scared off by all that rust and took it back (got most of my money back too which when I think about it now surprises me)... now though I wish I'd kept it... with that rust repaired it would've been absolutely brilliant...
Anyway, since then I've owned a '86 twin cam 'rolla (bloody great car, sorely missed) and a '93 Feroza (fun, but mine was a lemon). I now drive around in another sister's '99 Sonata.
Now I'm hoping to buy a '74 Galant 4 door on the weekend - if all goes smoothly. It has a bit of rust in spots, including along the underside of the bonnet apparently however doesn't look too bad. Will be using it mainly for motorkhanas, khanacross and autocross, but will also use it for cruising.
Looking forward to sharing in the chrysler/mistu fun with you guys.
Peace!
Jer
p.s. Sorry for the babbling hehe :)
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
cheaterparts

Re: G'day Jer Here

Post by cheaterparts »

well being from Moe you will prob join Gippland car club to play no dout
I was a member there for quite a while playing at there hillclimb track in morwell
which is now a big hole in the ground
I had a run around there new track ( Haunted hills ) just up the road from you
in my autocross car ( now sold ) a cordia
but I look forward to getting my sigma up there one day

also have you had a play at Boisdale I was a member there also MADCC and they are a good club to and there hillclimb/autocross track is a lot of fun
there twilight long track hillclimb takes a lot of beating .If you run there you need some drive lights
cheater
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

Actually I'm still debating whether to join the GCC. I love that the track is like 10 minutes from me place but I hate the club's crap attitude to drift. They wouldn't hire out the old track to the drift clubs even when they'd finished using the track (but still well before the power company took ownership)... I'm actually intending to rejoin my old club - Pakenham Auto Club.
We'll see what happens though...
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

psshhhht wrote: I'm actually intending to rejoin my old club - Pakenham Auto Club.
We'll see what happens though...
I dont think PAC has anywhere to run these days . I know they were running a round at MADCCs track at boisdale

another good option is FFCC - they run in with Group 5 autocross
I'm still a member at FFCC myself and do some sprint days with them ( when my car is running ) which atm it isn't
cheater
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

they're currently using a paddock further down McDonald's road at the moment. They had a open 'khana day on sunday, but I missed it (ARGH!). But it doesn't matter too much, once you're a member of one club you can enter other club's events too :)
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

welcome mate, been through moe a few times.
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

thanks for the welcome guys!
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Yeah, welcome. I went to Moe once - to the hospital in the middle of the night - no-one there, so both my GF and I threw up in the ashtrays :P
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

hey mate welcome to the site. Im sure you will love it. like many of the members here im quite hapy to help out with info on the old galants. I would definatly go for the 74 galant you are looking at if its decent, there a good lil car especially with a hot 2.6 5sp!! ;)
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

A mate and I dumped a Ford trader (ex-army job with a horse
float) at Moe he bought the shitbox at Bairnsdale got to Moe
after about three hours left it at the race track.......#@&%ing
Ford 302 was a *&^%box.
3x la lancer 2door
2x gc galant hardtop
1x gc galant wagon
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

lol... yeah Moe seems to be a dumping ground for a lot of stuff! :lol:

I didn't end up getting the Galant but now have a GH Sigma... here's a quick walk around vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F78CvGyE ... annel_page
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Doesn't look too bad?

Was that the one on ebay by anychance?

Hmm... might want to remove that windscreen & deal with the rust sooner than later too mate.

Good luck.
Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

yeah it was on ebay. Noone else bid though?
Yeah I'm planning on removing both front and rear screens this weekend and starting on that part of the rust.. hoping to either get the panel boys at the local tafe to weld in new metal into the front guard areas (the drivers side which I forgot to show in the video is quite bad) or to get someone where my mum works to do it... I don't have a welder yet, and I've only ever done arc welding anyway, and very poorly at that!
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

I won these rims today, will probably pick them up on thursday. I intend to paint the recessed area satin/gloss black, and polish the rest. The best part... these rims cost me $41! :D
81GL

Post by 81GL »

if the rust on the panels is 'quite bad' might want to remove them and have a look at the chassis rails... unfortunatly, stuff seems to build up there pretty bad over the years and has no where to go :(
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

most of the rust isn't too bad. Although i am a little concerned about the rust on the driver's side front guard... hmmm