gday to all!

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
dnvgalant

gday to all!

Post by dnvgalant »

my name is danny and i am currently living in west Ryde but moving to brissy in jan next year. recently my wife and i bought a 74 gb galant with a 1400 badge on it which is our first project car for either of us. our intent is to slowly build it up as a track car. i have been trawling the site for a few weeks now getting lots of info so i thought it was time to sign up and introduce my self. i'll get some pics up soon.
colta51

Re: gday to all!

Post by colta51 »

welcome to the site :thumpsup:
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
SharmCos

Post by SharmCos »

Hello and welcome!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

West Ryde? That's close enough for a cruise. Is it rego'd?
Welcome Danny.

Look forward to pics...

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

welcome to the site.
1976 Galant Hardtop
dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

Thanks guys :D

Unfortunately its not registered Dave. Propbably wont be until we get to Qld so no good for a cruise sorry mate.

here are a few pics of the old girl anyways.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

It doesn't look to bad, what are your plans for it?

If you need lower front guard rust repair sections gaPhil tells me they are available from Rare Spares, but they had to press some for him because they had them listed in their catalog. That could mean one of 2 things, either they will take them off there catalog or they will press a few. Either way, if you need some I would but them NOW.

Here's gaPhil's build topic for you to have a look at what he's up to

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

welcome to the site danny,nice ride!! would be interesting to see your progress on the build..keep us posted...
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

The plan is to get her to a standard that i can do track days and sprints.
First up though we need to do the head gasket as i am pretty sure it is blown at the back.
was thinking about doing a valve regrind while i was at it.
Discovered that it actually has a 4G32 in it so i want to run with that and do some improvments (carby, extractors is all i can think of so far)
would like to upgrade to disk front and not to sure what we will do in the rear, very open to suggestions.
we will also put in a set of race seats and harnesses to comply with cams.
wheels and tyres will be another upgrade to look at but not sure what yet.

not too sure how to use the rust panels dave but it looks like they are still in the catalouge.

Cheers Danny :D
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

dnvgalant wrote:First up though we need to do the head gasket as i am pretty sure it is blown at the back.
The most common problem with these heads (that I know) is the rear water jackets corrode away and blow the gaskets into NO.4

You may need another head? Take it off and have a look.

Dave...
dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

Finally got to brissy last week. The galant arrives on Thursday then hopefully we will do a bit of an overhaul on the engine in the next few weeks.

Was wondering two things, What do people recommend we should replace ie, Gaskets, Seals, studs etc and what brands/suppliers would you recommend?
dnvgalant

DnVgalant gb project

Post by dnvgalant »

so been a while since i have updated but not much has happened through the year as we have been pretty busy.

We have done a little bit of work on the head, valve regrin
d, head gasket, valve stem seals, valve regrind. Also just recently replaced the solex with a holley 180 but yet to tune it properly as i am waiting on a fuel reg from the US to bring down the psi of the fuel pump. Done about an hour of sanding, still a long way to go. Next year will definately be doing alot more =)
dnvgalant

DnVGalant GB Project

Post by dnvgalant »

Well has been a busy start to the year but managed to find some time to work on the GB.

Had a water leak in the head gasket so we redid that...only to end up with a major oil leak at the back of the engine.
So trawling the FS section i found some one selling a heap of gear out of a gk.
Picked up a 2.6 astron with a 32/36 weber, 5 speed bw, front struts with disc's and calipers, front cross member, steering gear, radiator
and the wiring loom.

So the plan is to fit as much of this stuff (probably not the loom) in as i can and see how it goes.

Now im not sure if anyone has attempted switching the cross members over too allow the 2 bolt struts to be attached (I have searched and couldnt find anything about it)but im gonna give it a crack. i have measured it up and looks like it will bolt in no probs. the only mod i think will be required from what i can see is the front sway bar as it looks to be to short to fit. anyway ill post any findings here when i come to them.

So far, engine and gear box are out, struts are out, just working on switching the cross members over.
Funny thing, i found the oil leak when i pulled the engine, i forgot to put in the half moon seal... :facepalm:
dnvgalant

DnVGalant GB Project

Post by dnvgalant »

Have had a bit of time over the holidays to work on the galant and going well.
Put the 2.6 in with the gearbox attached only to find the the 5 speed bw just didnt want to be in there.
So sourced a scorp jap 5 Speed (thanks Shaun), got that in after much frustration under the car :banh:
So now i am at the stage of trying to start the engine but am not getting spark, there is a thick black
wire coming straight off the pos side of the battery that i have no idea where it goes, there is a
wire coming off the dizzy which i have nothing to plug into it and the sliding yoke doesnt seem to fit.
So will need to do a bit of research now but thats where its at.