Oh wow. This is awesome.

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
DR1665

Oh wow. This is awesome.

Post by DR1665 »

G'day, my name's Brian and I live in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. I've just spent the last couple hours poring over accounts on CarDomain.com :banh: Luckily, someone, somewhere over there, left a comment for a Sigma/Galant owner to visit this site.

OMGTHANKYOUSOMUCHWHOEVERYOUWERE.

This site is awesome. I've seen so much vintage Mitsubishi steel in the last 30 minutes, I've already registered and sent someone a PM asking to interview them.

Wait. I guess I should clarify, yeah? I run Gearbox Magazine. We look all over the world for gearheads with unique and exciting rides, then interview those people and share the stories with other gearheads around the world. My buddy Dave in Tucson has started up an EV version, Kim in Salt Lake City runs the GM side, and I'm all over the Mitsubishi and rally scenes.

The idea is that we're all gearheads, right? Who says we have to stick to our own cliques and only talk about the same cars we own? I've been working on this project since October of last year and already, I've met an awesome bunch of fellow Mitsubishi owners and rallyists from all over the world. USA, Canada, England, Scotland, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, even Iran! The way some of us see things, the politicians can keep on with their greed and power mongering. We gearheads can all appreciate meeting other gearheads and talking shop. It's all about seeing the cool stuff our brothers and sisters have done and are doing with their vehicles around the world.

A couple things I feel are important to mention:

1. While I *am* here in search of people with cool MItsubishis to interview, I am a diehard forum believer. Gearbox Magazine is all about strengthening the global Mitsubishi community. This means we will never - EVER - do anything we feel might slight or negatively impact a forum. If anything, we feel we've created a venue where community members can positively represent their home communities elsewhere on the web. Just like that bloke on CarDomain what suggested that other owner come visit this site, it is our hope that people from this community who might comment on a Gearbox interview would mention where they're from so that other readers might discover new communities and resources the world over.

2. I am a Galant owner myself. A couple pictures...

On the left is my daily driver, a 92 E39A with an imported JDM bumper and lights (someone paid a lot for that trim in the States).
On the right is my one-day rally car, a 91 E39A with an 89 FWD front clip installed after a chance meeting with a Kia that ran a red light.

The 92 was poorly painted by a previous owner (synthetic paint, terrible orange peel and wrong color - note the door).
The 91 was spray painted by me last summer, when I got tired of looking at all the clearcoat fading and peeling.

Finally, a picture from back in 2007 when I took the 91 out to the California desert to do a little rallycross. There's still dirt all over the interior three years later.

Anyway, very excited to find this place. Hope to get to know some of you folks and introduce you to the rest of the world before too long.

Go fast with class.
shuggy

Re: Oh wow. This is awesome.

Post by shuggy »

Hi Brian. Welcome to the site and we look forward to seeing you work!
aussiedave

Post by aussiedave »

Gday Brian welcome to this great forum where everything is Mitsu :) My names Dave im from Melbourne Australia and am fairly new around here myself but the help you get from the people here is mind blowing to say the least. Ive recently bought myself a 1970 Mitsubishi Colt race car, there's some pics of her in the forums if you wanna check it out. Hope to chat soon and hope you enjoy yourself and get to know some of the great people here.

Cheers Dave :thumpsup:
1970 Colt 1100f SS 4g32
DR1665

Post by DR1665 »

Thanks for the warm welcome! You guys are awesome.

I'll tell you just how cool this place is - I have the latest Top Gear episode waiting to be watched, but I keep jumping into threads here. The one with the random Galant pictures? Wow. I can tell there will be plenty to see 'round these parts.

If I'm gonna watch that Top Gear episode tonight, I better get to it, though. Again, thanks for the warm welcome. You guys have me thinking about selling my VR4 in search of an older Galant (probably a Colt over here).

Cheers!
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

we have seen a few nice ones over there for sale, maybe you should seriously consider it :thumpsup:

we have plenty of guys on here worthy of a cover story haha, we have some awesome cars, have a look through the members rides and build topics
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Yes, Welcome.
My GAs are proudly badged (from new) "Chrysler" (not Mits) :D
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

DR1665 wrote:I've just spent the last couple hours poring over accounts on CarDomain.com :banh: Luckily, someone, somewhere over there, left a comment for a Sigma/Galant owner to visit this site.
Might have been me. I did the same thing one day. I spent about 4 hours pouring over anything early Mitsu and left quite a few comments suggesting to view this site. I think I sent out about 400 friend requests too. I have seen your cars on there before too :thumpsup:
Welcome to the site. It's good to see others enthusiastic about the breed.
I can only recommend you get yourself an early Galant/Colt. I think they are a great car (I have had 9, currently 2), I have also had 3 Lancer Hatches/Arrrows (also a great car).
Here is the link to my Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815988

Always room for real enthusiasts here Brian. Lets hope more join up.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Hi, Welcome to the site DR.

Glad you like what you see here. There are a lot of great early Mitsubishi's here and a lot people that are very knowledgable about them and are willing to help others out with info or where to try to source parts.

Is it likely that we could see Gearbox Mag down under?

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
A112H

Post by A112H »

Welcome to the site mate, I have just been checking out your magazine and am impressed. I am having trouble signing up but I am sure I will sort it, lol
There is lots to look at here and I am sure we can keep you entertained for a while :D
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

welcome to the site brian, nice rides and yes i highly recommend you get an earlier mitsi. I once owned an 89 galant gsr that i transplanted a rare AMG tuned 4g63 into it and i still loved my 76 gc galant hardtop more due to it having more character and soul then the newer stuff.
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

welcome to the site mate...cool mag by the way.
nice to see the states joining us Down Under.
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
DR1665

Post by DR1665 »

Check you guys out. This has to be one of the warmest welcomes I've ever got after an intro post. Thank you!

Running Gearbox takes a lot of effort, but thus far, I've only found 2 downsides to it:

1. I meet excellent Mitsubishi owners like yourselves all over the world and, short of winning the lottery, it's unlikely we'll ever meet in person. :(
2. I come across all sorts of incredible Mitsubishis I'd love to own, but simply don't have room (or budget) to handle. :(

In no particular order, I'd love to do up the following:

- old school Galant/GTO/FTO
- newer school Galant (turn a USDM Ralliart model into a copy of one of your uber-rare TMR 380s)
- 4WD Delica

Right now, I've got a semi-stripped 6G VR4 in the garage and the parts prevent my wife from parking her Isuzu Amigo in there. If I brought home another Mitsubishi, I'd have to sleep in it. (Maybe the Delica isn't such a bad idea, yeah?) ;)

@Nath, you can ABSOLUTELY get Gearbox Magazine down under. The magazine is entirely digital. Just go to http://gearboxmagazine.com and you can jump to any channel you like - Mitsubishi, Rally, GM (trying to get some proper Holden action on there if you gents know anyone), and EV.

I don't really speak any languages other than yank English, but I do try my best to mix things up - not only by model, but also by pursuit and location. Let's see, who have I interviewed from down under so far...?

- Ross Cox: E39 Galant VR4 rallyist from Brisbane.
- Bill Zissopoulos: 2009 Lancer Sportback Ralliart
- I've also been sort of emailing back and forth with Ben, the bloke what runs FTOAustralia.com

As recently as this week, Ross and I have been emailing back and forth to see if we can't get a set of Bilsteins for his truck shipped to my door and then on down to Brisbane. I'm checking with some of my North American rally buddies to see if we can't score him a deal. I only know Ross through Gearbox. I like to think this sort of illustrates what is possible with this whole project.

I'm telling you guys, my whole world, as a Mitsubishi owner and gearhead, has changed since I started this thing. Giving people a little well-deserved time in the spotlight is great, but when we can get to know one another on opposite sides of the planet and help each other out, that's what this is all about.

This isn't a finite project with an end at some point in the future. I'm going to keep this up as long as I possibly can (and get help if it looks like I won't be able to keep it up on my own). I'm down to interview each and every one of you. Gearbox isn't necessarily about the fastest or the most powerful, but about regular Joes like us; doing what we can with what we've got.

I'll come right out and say it, I really need to get about 24-30 interviews in the tiller to give me about a 3 month buffer to seek out new stories, run down leads, and keep up with a regular publishing schedule of 2 stories a week. I just published a story on Mitsubishi Owner Day in California this past weekend and I'm wrapping a Starion interview for later in the week. Beyond that, I'm at the mercy of getting email back from people.

If you're interested in being interviewed - filling out an email questionnaire and sending it back with 8-10 pictures of you and your car (parked, in action, etc) - I want to interview you. We'll talk about your Mitsubishi, what you've done to it, why, getting together with other owners, your local club if you've got one, and all about Sigma-Galant.com (that's right admin, you're on my radar too). I will interview as many of you as contact me. I can't run a dozen OG Galants in close succession, but if you want to be interviewed and you contact me, we'll do it up proper and it WILL be published in the next couple months.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. Truly appreciated. If there's ever anything Gearbox Magazine - or I - can do for this community, please let me know.

Cheers, gents.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

The welcomes havent stopped yet dude, heres another one. Welcome brian and thanks for recognising this sight for what it is ,good people with a common interest in the cars and a genuine interest in helping one another.
skidmark
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Welcome Brian! :D Glad you stumbled upon this place! Lots of cool classic Mitsus and knowledgable guys here from what I've seen.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Great to see the worldwide Mitsi community is expanding :). I don't get much traffic through my site Brian but I'll add your mag to the links page at http://www.oldcolts.com.au when I'm updating it next :).
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Add another warm welcome to the list.You will find everyone very helpful and lots of knowledgeable mitsubishi experts among the members.Will have to check out your magazine. :D
DR1665

Post by DR1665 »

Skidmark, shifta, Smithy (and Tim) - thanks for the continued welcomes! Much appreciated!

Sadly, the IT guys where I work have this site blocked for some reason. I can't get over here as promptly as I would like, but I'm set up for notifications on replies and PMs, so if you chaps want to keep chatting, I'll keep coming back!

Looks like I've got one taker for an interview so far. Any chance I might be able to persuade a few more? Say, four or five more? :twisted:

Here's the rub, I'm running this show as a one man outfit these days and trying to get ahead of the game so I can put out regular stories - two a week is the goal - but it can be hard to turn things around quick enough. I'd sure like to expose more of the global Mitsi community to these classic, old school rides, so it would be awesome if I could talk a handful of you chaps into interviews to be mixed in with other folks from around the world in the coming months.

No pressure, no worries. Just wanted to mention it.

Thanks again, mates!