new l200 owner + a few questions

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
protoedwardo

new l200 owner + a few questions

Post by protoedwardo »

G'day all, thought I'd sign up to this forum in the hopes of finding some more info about my car and perhaps have a geeze at some common mods and builds people have done. I also have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers to.

About my car: I'd been on the look out for a ute for a while and after I sold my little e30 rocket (mad regret) I had enough money to get one. I'd seen a few l200's and loved the style so I checked one out that turned out to be a rust bucket. A few weeks later I saw a 1981 tray top l200 that was in pretty decent condition with little rust but was in need of new paint. I didn't let the opportunity pass and here we are today haha. I plan on rebuilding bits and pieces over a weekend here and there so I can still daily it. Despite this, I admit I'd love to take the cab off and do a ground up but I don't have many things- time, space, money haha.

My questions are-
1. I can't seem to find a workshop manual/haynes manual for my car, do they exist?
2. Does the l200 share much in parts with other mitsi's of the time? I heard the sigma wagon shares the same chassis. I'm struggling to find l200 leaf springs, u-bolts, shocks, springs etc. Also I think it's just good to know what I can swap over apart from engines (diffs etc)
3. Is the narrow/wide block and gearbox interchangeability just to do with engines and gearboxes and doesn't regard cars? I mean, as long as you have a matching engine + gearbox, will it fit into anything? I have a column shift 4g32 and looking to put in 2lt astron 5 speed manual (narrow)
4. Common oil leaks for the 4g32? I have a mad oil leak covering some of the RHS underbody and LHS of the gearbox/bell housing and looking to try and stop it.

Thanks guys!
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: new l200 owner + a few questions

Post by Scorpma82 »

Hey there....and welcome

Not sure about wagon using the same chassis.....Sigma wzgins were coil sprung so it be all different mountings.

However, engines and gearboxes are primarily just as interchangeable as a Sigma...wide/narrow terms is to with the bolt pattern between the block and bellhousings (the rest of the mechanicals are again primarily the same but will have !inute differences between them)

If u sear h long enough ull even find someone removing the front panelling and replacing it with Sigma components

Manuals (books) are about but best to look online (eBay)

Look at the l300 vans....they may be a source for rear suspension compoments
Built with pride, Driven in anger
stealth

Post by stealth »

Any decent suspension place should be able to suppy brand new leaf springs , like lovells
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
A112H

Post by A112H »

Chassis is the same as the L300 vans. Sigmas, Galants and the like are uni body and have very little in common besides the engine and gearbox.
protoedwardo

Post by protoedwardo »

Cheers for the replies guys. I must have mistaken the sigma's for the l300s. And further searching on ebay found various bits and pieces parts and the like.

Let the project begin haha.

Thanks again. Ed.