Hi from Aus - new 79 LC owner

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
Taz

Hi from Aus - new 79 LC owner

Post by Taz »

Greetings from QLD Australia, names Taz and i just picked up a tidy 79 LC liftback off a mate.
Car is so far all stock. It has been manual converted off a parts car (with a bit of fab work needed) and a few other old components replaced. Its all round in good nick, with it getting finished off at the local mechanics for the wiring needed to get it going again - so many custom wiring jobs done over the years and with the swap it was just easier to get all necessary wiring re-done.
Im a fourth year mechanic and never had much experience with carby's and older cars so this is a good learning curve for me, currently waiting on a carby rebuild kit to take it apart and rebuild it.
As of now i plan on keeping it mechanically stock, pending my thirst for power later on for a 63T swap, although ive heard good things about a decent tuned 32 so who knows.
Anyone else here in brisbane with an old classic? Dont see too many these days unfortunately.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Hi from Aus - new 79 LC owner

Post by Scorpma82 »

Welcome aboard good sir!!!!

yes, the '32 is a potent lil donk and can propel the lil Galants/Lancers quite rapidly given their light body weight

The 4G64 comes in various guises (SOHC,DOHC,Carby,Single/Centre point inj, EFI, Turbo,N/A)

I Personally find a Carbied, SOHC variation gives the best balance of performance and appeal to the eye (that ol' skool look).........but thats just me
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Taz

Post by Taz »

Hi Scorp,

Yea i do like the appeal of keeping the 32 in there, but no idea how 'fast' they can go, ive learnt figures on paper arent an accurate gauge. Ive found i can put twin sidedrafts on it for about 2k give or take, pending on what size webers go in.
I want to keep it rego'd as i wouldnt get to drive it much if it was a track day car, but at the same time i want a cage and good buckets in it - but thatd probably be the extent of it i dunno - new car thoughts in meh head.
Either way, there will be plenty of questions and plenty of photos along the way
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Just get urself a set plan with the build, it will help u keep focused on it, and help u keep track of funds being spent and steady progress throughout the build.

Keep the questions coming we'll give you what answers we have
Built with pride, Driven in anger