76 Galant Sport Pack

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
76GalantSport

76 Galant Sport Pack

Post by 76GalantSport »

Hi I'm due to pick up a 76 Galant Sport Pack within the next couple of weeks for a restoration project and I'm wondering what's different about it being a sports pack model?
The reason I'm getting it is because I want a smaller car to do up as I currently drive a 1990 fairlane as a daily and being a 4L I6 it's not the best on fuel. The Galant I'll be getting is white, has 2 dents in the body work and only light surface rust in 3 very small spots, it's a 4 speed manual and has only done 127k km.
At 19 I may not seem like I'm in the age group of most people I've met that are restoring cars but I want something I can build up and have a nice cruise in.
Can anyone recommend things I should look into and any advice will be taken on boar?
75wagon
Admin

Re: 76 Galant Sport Pack

Post by 75wagon »

Welcome to the forum.
76GalantSport wrote:I'm wondering what's different about it being a sports pack model?
There are a few things but nothing major:
- factory tacho
- console
- sports steering wheel
- 5 speed gearbox (all other Galants other then the hardtops were only delivered in Australia with 4 speeds)
- factory stripping from up the rear C pillar to the front guard
- seat inserts are in a fabric (I think that was on all but I could be wrong)

There is possibly more?

So it looks like this?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
76GalantSport

Post by 76GalantSport »

yeah like that but white with a dent it the driver door, dent in the front driver quarter panel and the driver rear quarter has a trim piece missing.
The strips on it are blue and the original owner put wider rims on it so it doesn't have the originals.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Got any pics of it?
76GalantSport wrote:the original owner put wider rims on it
Sounds better already

Dave..
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
76GalantSport

Post by 76GalantSport »

Yeah apparently it handles really well with the wider rims and tyres compared to the standards. It apparently has a 4 speed box, leather seats, new brakes and exhaust done about 6 months before it was put in a garage where it's sat for 4 years. When I spoke to the current owner he said with a new battery she started straight up.
Best part is my dad has a set of extractors for it that he's had longer than I've been alive.
76GalantSport

Post by 76GalantSport »

Sorry didn't see your question. Yeah I have pick I just don't know how to upload them.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

76GalantSport

Post by 76GalantSport »

Here goes nothing.

76GalantSport

Post by 76GalantSport »

The current owner is going to send me some pictures of the dents and rust.
He said he may also send some of the carburettor as he isn't sure it's the original but if I get the pictures someone else on here will have to tell me.
76GalantSport

Post by 76GalantSport »

The rust seems to be only surface stuff so it should be easy to fix as for the dents I'm pretty good with a hammer and I'll have to use some bog to get it perfectly flat again (close enough anyway).

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've got a big dent in the drivers door of the car I'm building. Mine's a bit higher though.

Just so you know, if you are searching for a door rather then fixing the one you have.
GC/D sedan front doors are the same as each other (GD's have side intrusion bracing)
GA/B/C/D wagon front doors are the same as each other. So no good for you unless you change over the top window frame and glass. The base of the front doors are the same sedan and wagon.
GA/B sedan front doors are the same as GA/B/C/D wagon front doors.

GC/D rear doors are the same as each other (GD's have side intrusion bracing).
GA/B/C/D wagon rear doors are the same as each other.
GA/B sedan rear doors are the same as each other.

Hope this helps?

Dave...
76GalantSport

Post by 76GalantSport »

Thanks for that. Worst case I'll find another door But I'm hoping my dad and I can knock out the dent as best we can then just use as little bog as possible to get the line back.
76GalantSport

Post by 76GalantSport »

You wouldn't happen to know what the E12 option code is would you? I've found that d20 is manual gearbox and the A57 is the sports pack but I can't find anything on E12.
ddt

Post by ddt »

76GalantSport wrote:You wouldn't happen to know what the E12 option code is would you? I've found that d20 is manual gearbox and the A57 is the sports pack but I can't find anything on E12.
i think it's the code for the 1.6L saturn
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
76GalantSport

Post by 76GalantSport »

Ah cool cheers. Just trying to learn as much as I can. I found out today it doesn't have have a passenger mirror standard.
76GalantSport

Post by 76GalantSport »

Is there anyway to tell how many k's it has done or should I stay with it apparently have only doing 127k km?
gdgalantlover

Post by gdgalantlover »

Welcome Mate!

Tassie Member? I'm In Claremont, Nice Ride!!
GDGALANTLOVER

Current Cars

- 1980 GH Sigma Wagon

Past Cars
- 1976 GD Chrysler Galant Sedan
- 1975 GC Valiant Galant Wagon
- 1980 Nissan Datsun Stanza
- 1978 GE Chrysler Sigma SE
- 1986 Mitsubishi RC Colt
- 1974 Mitsubishi Colt Galant A53
- 1985 Nissan Datsun 720
- 1990 Toyota Corolla SX 4AGE
76GalantSport

Post by 76GalantSport »

Yep I'm in tassie. I live up in Launceston I'm picking up the galant either next week or the next. Thanks. I can't wait to get it home so I can start on it. My biggest concern is the dent in the driver door as it's right on the line. It should be a nice restoration project that I hope to have done by the end of the year so I can take my sister to her grade 10 leavers dinner.
76GalantSport

Post by 76GalantSport »

Is there anyway I can upgrade my alternator?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Assuming you a want bolt on, have a look at the alternators on the FWD Mitsubishi colts from the 80's RB/C/D, they have Saturn motors also. I'm sort of thinking that as cars progressed over the years so did the outputs of their alternators (I think the Galants alts only put out 35amps or something?).

Dave...
76GalantSport

Post by 76GalantSport »

Bolt on or swapping the internals. I'm not phased by which. If i can get a better output by changing the internals I'll do that.
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Nice ride! Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, a bigger alternator is a good idea... it's easy enough to get one re-worked. Mine's up to 55A, but even that is on the low side :-) There's info on this in the electrical thread... feel free to take a look.

Have fun with your build!
gdgalantlover

Post by gdgalantlover »

This doesn't sound good
back for sale...
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hobart-r ... 1070023283
GDGALANTLOVER

Current Cars

- 1980 GH Sigma Wagon

Past Cars
- 1976 GD Chrysler Galant Sedan