hello!!

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
jameslikesstuff

hello!!

Post by jameslikesstuff »

Hi all,
My name is James, i have recently become the owner of a 76 lancer two door hatch i wish to restore,
and thought this may be a good spot to start to make a few chrysler/mitsubishi contacts.
im looking for some parts, paperwork and just any useful general knowledge on my car.
here a picture of the beast. the first thing i really need to find is a new grill as this one is stuffed.

75glnt

Re: hello!!

Post by 75glnt »

Welcome to the site mate :thumpsup:

It looks like a great, and honest start you've got there. What are you're plans? Factory resto? Or something more? :)

Cheers,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
jameslikesstuff

Post by jameslikesstuff »

yeah factory for now, but i will want it to go a bit faster in the future, what sort of options do i have for giving her more go(within a reasonable budget)? previously i have owned a 1964 ap5 with the slant, which i loved and a cl wagon with a 265. i must admit i am pretty impressed with he feel of the lb, it drives well and feels solid and fun. are there any regular problems these models have that i should be aware of?
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Wow - looks nice and straight :thumpsup:
Looking forward to build info
My opinion - keep it light :)
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Hi jameslikesstuff, welcome to S-G. The lancer is a heap of fun to drive but the only thing I found with them is the rear end. The leaf springs are way too soft and it makes it feel like a boat on the road. Beef it up by replacing them with something like the leaf spring assemblies from a Galant wagon and it'll firm it up nicely and generally improve the handling. As for an engine upgrade - there is plenty to choose from in the Mitsubishi family (we're a spoilt mob :P )
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

+1 for the rear leaf springs! Any wheel spin and you get axle tramp... Say goodbye to your crown wheel and gearbox mounts :P

As far as engines go. I'll assume yours is a 1600 4g32? (I'm not up to date on lancers so forgive me if I'm wrong :) ).

There's you're 2.0 4g52. Which are from the early sigmas and some l200 utes. From my experience, a great strong little engine!

There's the 2.0 4g63 (sohc and dohc variants). The sohc can be found in the l200 ute as well as the l300 vans. The turbo variants can be found in the turbo aus spec starion :)

As for the dohc. They can be found in a range of newer model mitsus. From the 90s galant both turbo and non turbo. The lancer gsr, again both turbo and non turbo. The RVR van thing :P not to knowledgable on those. Also can be found in the same era hyundai sonata I'm pretty sure :)

With the dohc 4g63 there is a fair bit of playing to be done. Converting the engine to rwd for starters involves a flipped plenum, relocation of the thermostat, etc. there's more details on the site if you need any :)

Then there's the 2.6 4g54. Found in the later model sigmas. Also the scorpions :)

From what I've heard they're an ok engine... Can make some serious power if done right... But! I've also heard they're heavy! Thus the name "anchortron". I don't know anything about these engines.. So no info from me :)

Of coarse they're just the more popular conversions I've seen :) but there's also things like the 6gxx in the fto. 2.0 v6. And for something different. The 6dxx from the triton. Turbo diesel :)

Personally? I've always loved the 1600s :) reliable strong little engines! And with a webber, cam and exhaust. There's no other sound like it :)

If all else fails.. There's a search (button? Not sure what its called :P ). It can be found at the top of the page next to "chat room" :)

Cheers,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

75glnt wrote:+1 for the rear leaf springs! Any wheel spin and you get axle tramp... Say goodbye to your crown wheel and gearbox mounts :P
I swapped mine on my LB Lancer - not because of horrid body roll and axle tramp, but because of 'catastrophic failure' (read as - leaf spring broke, spring slapped the underside of the floor pan and the right rear wheel locked up into the wheel arch) I was lucky that I had only been travelling @ 15 kph one turn away from my place when it failed. No, I hadn't been lighting up the rear end but it looked like the previous owner absolutely flogged it :hit: