finally registered... hello sigma galant world

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
75GC

finally registered... hello sigma galant world

Post by 75GC »

Hi all. I've been a long time reader and fan of this website, but finally registered..
my first car was a 1975 GC Chrysler Galant sedan, hence my username. previous owner had done a great job by adding twin carbies to the saturn 1600 (great sound on idle and also when breathing above 5000rpm!), 5spd and 14 in alloys. regretfully I sold it to afford a subaru impreza (which was later written off while parked outside a mate's place! yes, that's right, parked..).
needless to say, I've missed my galant so have started looking for one. I don't currently have the time or space for a rebuild project, but I'd really love something pretty stock. i've seen a few nz galants I like, hence my nz importing question.
well, that's me, so if you have any tips about importing please reply to my galant page question, thanks! look forward to getting a galant and hearing about all your projects.
75glnt

Re: finally registered... hello sigma galant world

Post by 75glnt »

G'day mate :) welcome to the site :) are you in mx? Or aus?
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Welcome to the forum 75GC.
Just curious, would you have any pics of you old Galant?

Where about's are you located, if anyone on the forum sees or hears of anything for sale in your area they could let you know.
Or someone already on the forum might have something you are interested in?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75GC

Post by 75GC »

hey guys, i'm in melbourne. sure, i'll dig up a couple of photos i scanned a few years back, then work out how to upload..
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21

You can also use Facebook (if you have it).
Just view the pic you want individually and copy the image url and paste just like it says in the link above using the [img] tags.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75GC

Post by 75GC »

Here's some pics of my first (and only) Galant in 1997. Who knows, maybe someone is still driving it?!
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

very nice, welcome to the site by the way :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

VGJONO wrote:very nice, welcome to the site by the way :thumpsup:
Agreed, very tidy.

Anything in particular you are looking for in what model you are after now?

Dave...
75GC

Post by 75GC »

As usual my taste is probably above my budget.. but I do like some coupes, especially GB's. But correct me if I'm wrong, but I've only seen GC and GD coupes in Aus? Maybe I was looking at a Dodge Colt from USA. I'll try to find some pics. But assuming they are too rare or expensive, then maybe a GB or GC sedan. I'm not looking for a project car so something I can enjoy driving straight away would be ideal, without too much work for VIC roadworthy, or already registered in Victoria. It has to be manual, preferably original or minimal modifications, and less than $3000. Is that asking too much? ha! Of course I'm open to offers if someone wants to sell???
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

3k should easily get you something very clean, you just have to look around, and maybe be prepared to travel a little bit

this is one i found on gumtree, a very very tidy example, and from what i remember its been on there a while so it would be easy to get the price down under 3k
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dandenon ... 1015745887
A112H

Post by A112H »

Nice looking car mate, very tidy engine bay.
Hope you find a new ride soon :thumpsup:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Great find Jon!

See, I'm a sneaky bugger! I'd say something like. "I'll give you 2k, now. I can leave now". What's the worst they can do? Abuse you and say no? Or they can say yes or agree on a higher price, under the 3k mark.
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

There's a fair bit of rust in that. I'm not sure if it's worth $2K?

Get a load of the clutch cable adjuster?
From what I can see, there are a few positives.
Booster brakes, strut tops are in good nick, front bar is straight, dash pad looks good in the pics, interior looks nice and clean... etc...
And a few negatives
It's a belt drive (should be a chain drive, so the motor is not original), the rear panel under the rear bar is quite bent, but worst of all the rust. I'd keep looking for the money they are asking.

Dave...
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

hmm didnt see those pics on my phone, with those rust issues then yeah, 2k would be top dollar
75GC

Post by 75GC »

Thanks for the comments. Yeah I noticed the chain cover. I'll keep dreaming of a coupe then..!
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

75GC wrote:As usual my taste is probably above my budget.. but I do like some coupes, especially GB's. But correct me if I'm wrong, but I've only seen GC and GD coupes in Aus? Maybe I was looking at a Dodge Colt from USA. I'll try to find some pics. But assuming they are too rare or expensive, then maybe a GB or GC sedan. I'm not looking for a project car so something I can enjoy driving straight away would be ideal, without too much work for VIC roadworthy, or already registered in Victoria. It has to be manual, preferably original or minimal modifications, and less than $3000. Is that asking too much? ha! Of course I'm open to offers if someone wants to sell???

The GB Coupe is a A53H Dodge Colt Galant 16L
There are currently 3 in SA, one (bottom pic) will not be here for much longer as it has been sold on. These are the only 3 that we have photographic proof of in Australia.

2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

75GC

Post by 75GC »

Photo number 1 please! Seems like we need to get s few more of these in Aus... Thanks for the comments and photos. I'm going to investigate how much it could cost to import if I found something I loved, and also registration issues etc. I think you can bring in cars pre 1989 build, or at least apply. not sure about registration. maybe even club rego.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

75wagon wrote:Image
There's a fair bit of rust in that. I'm not sure if it's worth $2K?

Get a load of the clutch cable adjuster?
From what I can see, there are a few positives.
Booster brakes, strut tops are in good nick, front bar is straight, dash pad looks good in the pics, interior looks nice and clean... etc...
And a few negatives
It's a belt drive (should be a chain drive, so the motor is not original), the rear panel under the rear bar is quite bent, but worst of all the rust. I'd keep looking for the money they are asking.

Dave...
It's a gd... Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they come factory with the 4g32b?

And by the looks of that clutch adjuster, it's a manual conversion job?
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yes, would have been chain drive from the factory and I would also suspect it was an auto.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

G32b is belt drive... I thought they were standard in the late gd's and early ge's?
N/A ALL THE WAY
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I've never heard of a belt driven Sigma (in Aus)...although I live in Dandenong Nth...can always sneak around :P
Built with pride, Driven in anger
A112H

Post by A112H »

I am pretty sure the late LC Lancers were belt and the FWD's of the 80's were belt but I don't think a Galant/Sigma was ever belt
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Oh, swear I've heard they were?? Maybe overseas then?? Lol
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The belt drives were introduced in the LB Lancer Hatches (they came with both belt and chain).
All Australian sold LC Lancer Hatches were belt drive from what I can tell.
The discussion on the GD Galants being sold with belt drives has come up before but a 77 model, I doubt it.
75glnt wrote:And by the looks of that clutch adjuster, it's a manual conversion job?
And an ugly one at that.
75GC

Post by 75GC »

I've put a deposit on the black GA Galant Sedan on ebay, low-mid $6k. Really looking forward to having it in the driveway, after a fun drive down from Port Macquarie!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

75GC wrote:I've put a deposit on the black GA Galant Sedan on ebay
Sounds good :thumpsup:
75GC

Post by 75GC »

Thanks. Budgets are made to be broken right? :-)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Budgets are like the yellow speed signs, they are only a guide
75GC

Post by 75GC »

Trouble free road trip home, no overheating, possibly due to the single digit temperarure outside. In fact, no heating at all, heater not working, gloves would have been handy!
The body looks great, interior ok, but engine very lumpy. Long list of to do items already. Not sure where to start, but I think I'll start a build thread and start posting...
gdgalantlover

Post by gdgalantlover »

GB_BB4C wrote:
75GC wrote:As usual my taste is probably above my budget.. but I do like some coupes, especially GB's. But correct me if I'm wrong, but I've only seen GC and GD coupes in Aus? Maybe I was looking at a Dodge Colt from USA. I'll try to find some pics. But assuming they are too rare or expensive, then maybe a GB or GC sedan. I'm not looking for a project car so something I can enjoy driving straight away would be ideal, without too much work for VIC roadworthy, or already registered in Victoria. It has to be manual, preferably original or minimal modifications, and less than $3000. Is that asking too much? ha! Of course I'm open to offers if someone wants to sell???

The GB Coupe is a A53H Dodge Colt Galant 16L
There are currently 3 in SA, one (bottom pic) will not be here for much longer as it has been sold on. These are the only 3 that we have photographic proof of in Australia.

I guess mine is number 4 if you count Sedan's
GDGALANTLOVER

Current Cars

- 1980 GH Sigma Wagon

Past Cars
- 1976 GD Chrysler Galant Sedan
- 1975 GC Valiant Galant Wagon
- 1980 Nissan Datsun Stanza
- 1978 GE Chrysler Sigma SE
- 1986 Mitsubishi RC Colt
- 1974 Mitsubishi Colt Galant A53
- 1985 Nissan Datsun 720