Almost Finished

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
Stickman

Almost Finished

Post by Stickman »

Hello, all, & thanks to those that provided advice on windscreen rubbers, etc, for my '75 Galant hardtop. Obtaining one was a saga.

In the end, Windscreens O'Brien custom made me a windscreen rubber by cutting down none from an early Pajero. It doesn't have the slots for the chrome retainers but I'm assured that it doesn't need them. My research revealed that Triumph 2000 windscreen rubbers have the same profile, too, & can be cut down to fit.

The chromer's main tank in Launceston, Tasmania, also broke. It took three months to get my front & rear bumpers back but it was worth the effort.

The car's all but finished now. However, I've still got the interior to do. Everyone needs a project, I suppose.

Please find attached some quick pics of the car. More to follow, once the interior's done.

Regards,

Stickman
Hobart, Tas.
Nath76LA

Re: Almost Finished

Post by Nath76LA »

Another red hardtop. Very nice.

I see it's got a crack in the crash pad in the same spot as mine as well.

And welcome to the site.
1976 Galant Hardtop
A112H

Post by A112H »

Very nice looking hardtop mate. Would love some more details and pics
Stickman

Post by Stickman »

Thanks. Glad you both like it. The dash pad will come out soon & will be sent to Melbourne to be re-skinned. I saw an ad for re-skinners in a car mag (Unique Cars?) & contacted them. They reckon they can fix it, even if it comes out in pieces (there are 2 x deep cracks right through the foam core).

Details of the car: Owned by me since October, 1981 (2nd owner). Runs Cibie headlights & driving lights (Super Oscars), backed-up by a heavy duty alternator and all running via relays. A modified radiator from a V8 Holden, fitted prior to a round Australia trip in the early 90s. 2 litre Astron with a single Weber down-draft carby on a ported / polished inlet manifold, electronic ignition & a 2" exhaust off the standard 4 into 2 manifold. 5 speed Japanese 'box (imported in the early 80s, before Sigma 5 speeds were as commonly available) with a shortened lever. 13" Cheviot wheels w/ 60 profile Hankooks. Standard front sway bar & springs, Pedders touring gas shockies all-round, & a Selby rear sway bar & 3 x leaf rear springs made by the Northern Territory Spring Works, Berrimah, NT, during the 90s Aussie epic (the originals collapsed in FNQ). The interior has Recaro front seats, a Momo Corse steering wheel & VDO oil / volt meters. Pioneer AM/FM radio cassette (I use an iPod adapter these days). Both front 'guards & the stone tray have been replaced, as has the windscreen & its rubbers (the pursuit of which bought me to this site a bit over a year ago). However, everything else body-wise is original.

It still goes hard, sounds fabulous and handles really well. Great fun to drive! Fuel economy's about 30 mpg on a run and it'll cruise at whatever speed you want, all day, and in 5th. Other than bleeding the brakes after it was off the road for its respray / new windscreen, it hasn't needed mechanical work for years.

I'm no rocket scientist, but here's the link that should show some further images:

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q68 ... 07c324.jpg.

If it doesn't work, I'll have another crack at getting some pix up soon.
Last edited by Stickman on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Very tidy looking car, thanks for the extra pics.