new member from malta

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
girgor

new member from malta

Post by girgor »

hey everyone - my name is greg, the proud owner of a 4 door '74 colt lancer from malta...and dare i say it, one of the precious few flag bearers of the mark 1 lancers in malta. i've had it for about 6 months and bought it for 400 euros from an elderly gentleman. it originally had a 4G42 (1.2), though because it had busted rings i couldn't get it passed an emissions test. with some incredibly good fortune i managed to come across a 4G32 (1.6) inside a hyundai stellar (hyundai used to have all the engines supplied to them by mitsubishi in their early days) for another 400 euros (quite a bargain, considering it had only done 65000 km, around 40000 miles). anyway, i've been having some mighty good fun with it before i embark on a painstaking restoration process, for which i'm sure this forum can be a valuable resource. in turn i hope to be a useful source of info myself to users here as I immerse myself in this first-time process and establish some contacts in malta, which has quite a broad cottage industry that serves malta's many classic car owners.. looking forward to conversing with fellow old school colt/chrysler owners. peace to you all..
ddt

Re: new member from malta

Post by ddt »

Welcome to the site, Greg!

From your avatar, your Lancer appears to be a lilac colour, is this the factory paint? I haven't seen that colour on any Mitsus before.
Anyway we're always hungry for pics here on S-G, put some up when you get the chance!
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
girgor

Post by girgor »

haha yeah well spotted the colour is not original. in fact the poor girl has been drowned in regular paint - a quick fix solution to hide some serious rust issues. bar the wing mirror, (which I had to put on for the VRT) this is as she was when I bought her. this is meant to be both a restoration project and eventually a necessary means of transport.

the first phase involved getting her prepped for the VRT to get her road worthy. I had to do it by December 31 2012 so that I could benefit from a 2 year gap before the next VRT (which should give me some time to carry out some major restoration), as from January 1 2013 VRTs are now conducted every year. here it goes:

1: had to put a side mirror for the VRT

2: back profile (inexplicably the gentleman i bought it from decided to raise the reverse lights from below the bumper...that's something I will address when restoration is fully underway).

3: engine bay. she originally had a 4G42 neptune 1.2, but that was replaced by a Datsun 120Y (seen here). anyway, it had busted rings which would have been arduous and costly to replace. so i thought i might as well find an original and replace the whole thing.

4, 5 & 6: with a bit of luck, i managed to find an 87 hyundai stellar with a mitsubishi 4G32 engine. extremely good condition, and I got it for a knockdown price of 400 euros. I tried to sell the rest of the car piecemeal (which i thought would be do-able as i knew 2 people in my village with an identical car) but amazingly got no interest. sadly lack of space meant i had to scrap her :(

7. to cut a long story short (including making original mounts and laborious cleaning), she's been upgraded from a 4G42 1.2 to a 4G32 1.6

8. interior front as was bought

9. ripped front seats

10. well...disgusting...

11. sun-kissed

12. after having been at it for an hour with dicarbonate of soda and a toothbrush...

13. quick fix for the ripped seats in order to get it through the VRT...i eventually plan for a leather-suede mix interior, long way to go before that happens..

will post some pics of the body work up close to show the rust issues, i've already been quoted a figure of 4000 euros for sandblasting, a primer and non-metallic paint spray. i'll probably take on the daunting task of getting rid of all that thick house paint myself in an effort to save me a few dimes. but the most important thing for now is that she passed the VRT at the end of November 2012 :) now for phase two...!
ddt

Post by ddt »

Wow your 'quick fix' on your front seats is pretty impressive.
Well done on sourcing a 4G32 from a Hyundai! We never got any early RWD Hyundais in Australia.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

ddt wrote:Wow your 'quick fix' on your front seats is pretty impressive.
^What he said :thumpsup: Never seen a roof lining shred itself that badly - EVER. Good to see you took pity on a Lancer that would otherwise ended up being scrapped, and it's amazing what a good clean can do for an unloved car. Keep up the good work girgor.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That is crazy, I've never seen a roof lining like that before...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
DVSGAL

Post by DVSGAL »

OMG just saw this now! I'm wrapped we have another Maltese member in our little family :D
girgor

Post by girgor »

DVSGAL wrote:OMG just saw this now! I'm wrapped we have another Maltese member in our little family :D
haha sweeeet!