New member in Canberra

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
camker

New member in Canberra

Post by camker »

Hi all,
Recently moved to Canberra and am itching for a new project.
In the early eighties my mates and I had mitsubishis when everyone else was into panel vans / chargers and xu1s etc..
My first car was a GD wagon which eventually got a 2.6 with twin down-drafts.
I had a white colt galant gto ( 77 model ) and had a 2.6 in it as well as trying a couple of sirius engines even tried using twin SUs on it.
The GTO did a few club rallys but was too good to risk so it became a road car. Ha, was even in fast fours and rotaries. ( I dont even know if that still exists )
Mate had a methanol injected 2.6 in a LA lancer. By injected I mean he used a fuel light sensor from an early sigma ( just a vacuum switch that made a light come on when you were too heavy on the gas ) to activate his washer bottle which he filled with a water/methanol mix. He piped this straight into the carby throat through one of those things you pump a football up with. I can remember the car used to lift the left front wheel about two inches off the ground with chassis twist and annoyed the hell out of the V8 guys up to a reasonable speed. Funny though I seem to remember always driving because he didnt seem to hang onto his licence for long periods
Ah the good old days.

So as soon as I can find a project I'll start posting and probably asking stupid questions.

Cameron.
84GKSIG
Admin

Re: New member in Canberra

Post by 84GKSIG »

hey mate welcome to S-g :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Welcome to the site mate.
What sort of project are you looking for? Galant, Starion, Scorpion or maybe a Sigma?
There are plenty of members who are selling that might be able to help you out if they know what you are looking for.
Would love to see some pics of your past projects
camker

Post by camker »

The only photo I have of the GTO. It was a private import from New Guinea. It was originally yellow with black racing stripes but the paint was rubbish The interior was like brand new though. I only ever saw one other one ( a light blue one in Brisbane ) but mine was different because it only had four red tail lights, no yellow lights. So both red lights would flash on one side when the blinker was on and if you braked at the same time the other side lights would stay on.
It was sold around Brisbane in the mid ninties but I have no idea where it is now.

I only have a couple of polaroids of the galant, dont forget no one had cameras then except our parents, hard to imagine now.

This is the latest project finished.
camker

Post by camker »

Sorry mate I tried to post a couple of photos but I dont have permission. Is there a minimum number of posts before I can?
Cameron.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

2 post minimum :thumpsup: its only to help us filter out spam :) can be a nuance some times, but now you can post :)
camker

Post by camker »

Ha and us now...

2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Oh oh oh Gto don't they look sexy wish I had a nice looking Gto :(
A112H

Post by A112H »

I like those light on the GTO, the others are nice but they would be my preference.
Like the ute too, nice work