Hey Everyone

Make yourself known to other members here! Dont be shy!
RaptorReed

Hey Everyone

Post by RaptorReed »

Figured it was probably the best bet to join this forum for the particular car I'll be picking up (H) . Well my name is Tim, I currently have a 6g Galant VR4, but will be picking up a 77' Wagon this weekend. Out here they are Colts, but from what I can find is in 77' the colt name transferred to the lancer platform and so I want to get my facts straight if it's a 1st generation Lancer (LB Series out in most of your guys' neck of the woods of Australia) or if it's still a Sigma Galant? Oh and for a living, I wrench on turboprop airplane motors.

What I know about it
Exterior has been restored
4spd manual
I'm thinking it's the 1.6l or did the wagons have multiple options?
Has fuel pump related issues - I'll be diving into that when I get it home. Runs but not well. a new pump is cheap so I'll try that first.
Seats and Carpet are the only things that need some TLC.

My 6g is currently going to be going under the knife for a tranny rebuild and motor build, then see about fixing up the rear underbody of the car (I've replaced a lot of rusty parts) Here are a couple pics of that
With the AMG Galant sawblade wheels :thumpsup:
Last edited by RaptorReed on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
camB

Re: Hey Everyone

Post by camB »

Welcome!

Definitely not a Sigma, looks to be a Lancer. There are plenty of Lancer freaks on here to help out though.
SE Wagon

Post by SE Wagon »

Welcome!
RaptorReed wrote:Looks like a Sigma to me :\
Over here, that's a Galant. '77 would be GD, which had twin headlights in our market, but we had two 5&3/4" lights - yours appears to have 7" outers and smaller inners.

Here, GDs only received Saturn 1600cc from the factory - I don't know what other markets got. If you post a pic of the engine bay we should be able to tell you if it's Saturn or Astron. If you post up the engine number that may help too.
(Formerly) 1984 GK SE Wagon
Kings, Konis, EFI, exhaust. Not much power. :( But it is red! :D And Sold...
Member's Rides Thread
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Welcome to the site...
Always room for more Galant wagons here.
What you have is a Gen 2 Galant. I have a 75 model which is a GC in Australia, you have the American variant, sold new with Dodge Colt badges. The Australian model (that seems pretty common with most Asian countries) has twin headlights of the same size (unlike yours).

Do you know what motor it has in it? Does it have the original 4G32 (1600 Saturn)?

What are your plans for it?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

welcome :thumpsup:

love the galant mate
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

looks to me like its a GT front grill that came with the colts.

both cars are nice
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Thanks for the warm welcome, I do not know what motor is in it, nor does the person (I don't think they are a gearhead). I'll find out when I pick it up tomorrow. Plans are to fix up what needs fixing on the interior. Some friends suggested a 4g63T swap....but meh, I'm happy only working on one 4g63 right now and that car in itself is going through a restoration pretty much on its' own. Would like to keep the car looking smooth and clean, nothing outrageous. I'll have to find some Mitsu and Galant badges to replace the Colt ones :thumpsup:.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

However...the 4G63s are dime a dozen out here in the states between the DSMs and the thousand or so 6th gen Galant VR4s left out here, then there is the 2.4s off the Might Max trucks and some of the hyundais. My VR4 is getting torn down and rebuilt, along with its' transmission after 5th and Reverse went out. The few mods it does have are 90-92 Q45 brake master cylinder, Evo 8 Suspension conversion, and converted to Speed density - no more MAF sensor.

I'm sure if I go the 4G63 route I'll be looking to here for some help and searching the forum for any info on that matter as far as mounting, drivetrain, and wiring harness.

Is the driveshaft/propeller shaft a 3 piece or 2 piece design?
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Welcome to S.G.com mate.
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
A112H

Post by A112H »

Hey Mate, welcome to the site.
Your prop shaft should be one piece, but that may have been one of the changes needed for the US market.
Love the 6th Gen VR4. I sold my 8th Gen not too long ago and miss it like crazy :(
Good luck with both builds, I am sure you will find heaps of useful info on here
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Well, that whole ordeal with the car fell through on the Seller's end. Oh well, I'll just keep looking for one. If all else fails I may look into what it would possibly cost to import one from Australia as you guys seem to be hording most of these cars. :thumpsup:
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

only problem is that its right hand drive here in australia
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

That's not a big deal, that just takes practice to get used to :thumpsup:
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

At least he'll be driving on the right side of the car :mrgreen:
1976 Galant Hardtop
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

:lol:
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

RaptorReed wrote:Well, that whole ordeal with the car fell through on the Seller's end. Oh well, I'll just keep looking for one. If all else fails I may look into what it would possibly cost to import one from Australia as you guys seem to be hording most of these cars. :thumpsup:
Well that's devotion for you.
Sorry to hear about the back luck with the sale. How often do these come up for sale in the US?

The biggest benefit I see from importing one from a country other then the US, would have to be that it would come with the nice small chrome bumpers like they were intended.

Are you on JNC http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/index.php or Classiccolt.com http://classiccolt.forumcircle.com/portal.php? . You may be able to get on either of those sites and ask if any are for sale in your area. Both of those sites are US based, so you may increase you chances of finding one locally...

After all, it doesn't matter which site you belong to, or if you belong to them all. The important thing is that we help each other keep these cars on the road for as long as we can :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

I'm on JNC as well. From what I can find these cars don't pop up for sale very often out here. I just signed up on classiccolt.com so maybe that will help some. I was searching on and off for a year to find my VR4. I appreciate all the help on these forums.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Finally! I'm getting a hold of one, patience does pays off. I just put a deposit down (half payment) on one today, the rest on my next payday, I'll be picking it up next month when I go to visit my parents in Wisconsin (Midwest US) from my pre-deployment training. It's a 76' Coupe with only 103k miles on the clock,1.6l, 4spd, all original, unmolested, well maintained, and only a 2nd owner car. :mrgreen: . It will go into storage till I get back from deployment early next summer.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion