StayTuned 6336 Colt 1970 Restoration starts

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
staytuned6336

StayTuned 6336 Colt 1970 Restoration starts

Post by staytuned6336 »

Today I finally picked up the long waited deal of the Colt A51 I mentioned in my intro. spent some time servicing the brakes and flushed all lubes before I could DRIVE it back to my place peacefully :D . uploading pictures now.
Paki tourism tag line "welcome to Pakistan, have a BLAST" :P
Benharjon

Re: StayTuned 6336 Colt 1970 Restoration starts

Post by Benharjon »

looking forward to the pics, welcome to the site, good luck with the resto... :thumpsup:
Cheers Ben
staytuned6336

Post by staytuned6336 »

thanks Ben, been very busy the whole week . plus its taking me time getting used to this forum's html (im not very efficient with these)

this is how I got it.

lights and metal bumpers safe, almost ;)

:facepalm:

:banh:

:)

:think:
staytuned6336

Post by staytuned6336 »

well this took 2 hrs of preparation and some precautionary measures like lube change, clutch and throttle cable servicing etc. before i could start it. 4g31 sounded smooth and has done 73k miles.

while bringing it back to my place i had a hard time braking and mostly i was using my hobby plane landing/braking technique to avoid collision ! but it was exciting. the car handles pretty well and steering response is naive which made me happy.
staytuned6336

Post by staytuned6336 »

initial attempts

turning this...

to this... before i can start working :P

notice the make/shift fuel supply since i didnt wanna risk using fuel from main tank

staytuned6336

BAD NEWS post :P

Post by staytuned6336 »

thermostat valve status

water pump

i dont want these

cant even think about the interior right now :facepalm:

poor car :(
staytuned6336

day 5 "I HATE RUSTED METAL

Post by staytuned6336 »

:@ some bolts cooperate, for others you just have to wake the HULK inside you, tear off whatever u dont like and "ROARRR!" 8o|

I feel better now. taking radiator for a full service and replacing all bolts so far. removing the air conditioning system.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Wow you've got a fair bit of work ahead of you.
Welcome to the forum.

How common or rare are the Colts in Pakistan?
How easy or difficult will it be for you to source parts?

Interesting that it has air conditioning.

I see a few differences between yours and the Australian models, The carburettor and the front blinkers (ours came with clear lenses not orange), is that your temperature sender in the top of the thermostat housing?

Do these tail lights have 3 red lenses or is it just the angle and lighting in the photo?

So what are you plans for this car? A full restore, or just get it running again?

Thanks for putting up pics of you car, it's always interesting to see the little differences that are in the various models sold in different countries :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
staytuned6336

Post by staytuned6336 »

hey Dave ! :) thanks

quick replies :

1. very rare, I have a suspicion that I own the only one :P . even if there are others one will not be able to recognize them.
2. very difficult, for suspension I have a supplier (an acquaintance of the previous owner) some 800miles away in another city, Karachi
3. The air con was custom installed some 20 years ago by the previous owner. I dont need it anymore. a neat engine bay is what i prefer.
4. tail lights have 3 red lenses :)
5. yes thats a temp sensor over the thermostat housing.
6. I dont like he carb, too small. i will be upgrading that soon.

plan is to fully restore it. lots of metal welding job, complete new interior trims and leather. dash board will have to be fixed with custom fibre panel replacements. engine rebuild for slightly higher compression and custom gaskets. a bit of head work. Later when im done playing i'll upgrade drive train, suspension, engine..ofcourse and brakes.

The car is in running condition right now as i drove it back home :D , no differential sounds, no unusual shaft play or noise, clutch engaging properly. only electrical issues.

I really like the clear lenses on the front in Aussie models. this one must have come from japan. Back in 70's my country hardly had roads and only the rich used to import vehicles from abroad. Production of small and commercial vehicles started in the late 70's when japan became friends. Import letter and all relevant documents are very well preserved but it doesnt mention from where it was imported. As the data entry used to be manual and not very accurate back then.
in the year 2000 all old vehicles with registrations 30yrs old were renewed for a new taxation system.

I think you guys will be able to determine the origins of this model if i tell u the chassis and engine code.

C : A521113688
E : 4g3113500