1977 Dodge Colt Red and White from So-Cal

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
PERTANO

1977 Dodge Colt Red and White from So-Cal

Post by PERTANO »

I have been in the old school import scene for quite a few years and have typically stuck to Toyota and Mazda builds when this brightly colored colt caught my eye inthe local Craigslist adds. I called and spoke to an older gentleman that had a great story of the car having 56k original miles and having come from a garage in a desert town near where we live. The story peaked my interest and the asking price was in the area where I felt comfortable taking a chance on a car I had no clue about. I made the drive over and was absolutely thrilled at the jewel I had found. The car wsa damn near mint in every way I could think. The body was very straight, orginal paint, mint interior, and ran well. I bartered a little on the asking price and sealed the deal on my new ride.

I had aspirations of sticking some 15x9 -14 wheels under the stock arches and after my first measurements I wasn't too sure I was gonna get them under the car. A trip to the local parts store for some 3 inch lowering blocks and the game was on. The rear of the car went down without a fight and in 45 minutes the car was down in the back. I set the wheels under the car again after my test fit and got a better perspective of how far off I was. I then pie cut the inner fenders and applied the heat gun and broke out the roller and sledge hammer. Some beating and banging later and the car accepted my crazy offering. 15x9 -14 rota Alicia wheels on 195/45/15 Federal tires.

The front was just like lowering every other corolla I have ever slammed and right now is ghetto, but works. I think I ended up with almost 3 coils out of othe front end and the car still has suspension and the ride although not a cadillac is still bearable. The front got some 15x8 -5 rotas on the same size 195-45-15 federals. Next the attention was turned to fine tuning and I added some air shocks to the rear just in case I need to put some passengers in the car I can bring the tail up and still ride out.

I really have no future plans other then building a nice sound system in it for now. Once I get tired of the little 1.6L motor I may look into a 4G63 swap or something better. But fo rnow 60mph suits me and the car just find. So enough with the chit chat I suppose. Here are some pics. Hopefully you all don't hate me too much for altering such a nice original car, but in the end I think it has some major character now and definately won't be a forgot small car here in the So-Cal streets.

-Pertano-

Let the fun Begin!!!

Final stance pics
Benharjon

Re: 1977 Dodge Colt Red and White from So-Cal

Post by Benharjon »

Looks tuff mate, a great find! :thumpsup:

Love the rims and the stance! nice work! Keep us posted...
Cheers Ben
PERTANO

Post by PERTANO »

Thank you for the kind words. I really hope to find the headlight surround for the left side headlamp and hood trim for the car soon. It's starting to bug me that it's missing and I am starting to realized these cars aren't too common here in the states.
Nat881

Post by Nat881 »

how's this car going pertano? any new pictures?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...this member last visited the site on the 19th of October - 2012 :( Hope we hear from him again, his car was something different in the crowd.