2.6L LC Rally car finally running :D

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

2.6L LC Rally car finally running :D

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Finally got my LC lancer up and running.
Was checked over by the mechanics after I did all the work and got ticks all round there except for needed a bit more grease in some ball joints.
Went to get run in on the dyno and was running very lean, turned out that when I sent the manifold, injectors and fuel rail off to be cleaned I didnt realise there was meant to be a spacer between the fuel rail and manifold so injectors were sucking air around them causing it to run lean :( Simple fix thanks to Superscann811 for noticing that and it was running in a much better air/fuel range.

This car has taken me 2 years to modify. It blew up the enging at a supersprint 2 years ago at Wakefield and since then it was just going to be an engine rebuild, but with engine and gearbox out, I decided I would strip engine bay and paint it. Than came along the diff from a project GA I bought, so that went in, then new brake lines, surge tank in the back, fuel tank protection, weight reduction (chisel to the sound deadening), new bushes, steering components, brakes, pads, rebuilt calipers, new shocks and springs and bearings.
For a while it was a shell on stands with a dash.
Whole car got seam welded and 6 point bolt in cage installed (which I had bought prior to blowing engine up).
Running a 2.6L Scorpion block, M8 head, forged flat top pistons, balanced bottom end, balance shafts removec, high volume oil pump, and TR injection (that doesnt quite fit). Car now has a bonnet scoop which is all for show to fit the injection under the bonnet.
Still a few things to add like mudflaps, new paint, tripmeter probe and water temp warning light.

Great first outing, and hopefully a lot more to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqSx-3Ht ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahx7QkUPdgA&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R0eAgHR ... ontext-cha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65XBE6gx ... ontext-cha

Enjoy.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
A112H

Re: 2.6L LC Rally car finally running :D

Post by A112H »

Must be great to have it up and running again Matt.
Looks like a fun track :thumpsup:
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Hopefully the extractors weren't glowing at the end of each run :lol:

BTW: how was the oil pressure?

Cheers.
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Yea its great to finally get it running again.
Next event planned is full rally on 28th July at Johns River (Taree).

No I dont think they were glowing haha.
Oil pressure was good, idle dropped a bit low so I turned the screw a bit so sits nicely at 900-1000rpm now and around 25-30psi. Getting up it, oil pressure was getting around 65-75psi, but I wasnt really concentrating on the gauge so long as it was at that end of the scale.
More Autometer bling to come, volt gauge to replace LC amp, and Air Fuel to replace the standard LC oil psi.....My oil psi gauge now mounted on steering column.

Cheers Matt
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
damian

Post by damian »

nice work
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

My brother sent me (via mobile) a pic of your car at the run yesterday mid flight.
He was supposed to be there as well, but is doing some work to the motor of his GB rally car, so unfortunately couldn't run.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Great news Matt!
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

So it was parked in the driveway last night, came out this morning to find half a gearbox worth of oil under neath it and streaming down the drive....appeared to be coming from the back of the gearbox where the tail shaft goes in......how do I fix that? Is there a seal somewhere in there that needs replacing now?
And a little brake fluid was making its way out of the master cylinder from the bottom bolt???? very strange, and its brand new.

Need to fix those, plus ad a bit of pipe in to make heater work, add mudflaps, trip meter probe, interior lights, rest of roll cage padding, second harness and possibly paint and ready to go rallying in Taree on 28th July.....lucky I have school holidays to do all that.

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Rally_2.6LC wrote:So it was parked in the driveway last night, came out this morning to find half a gearbox worth of oil under neath it and streaming down the drive
Was it parked on the flat section of your driveway or the 45-deg incline, nose up?
Rally_2.6LC wrote:..appeared to be coming from the back of the gearbox where the tail shaft goes in......how do I fix that? Is there a seal somewhere in there that needs replacing now?
There is a seal for the tail-shaft yolk and if you were parked on a severe angle, nose up, it may just leak out past a bad seal.
It's relatively easy to replace with the tail-shaft out.
Rally_2.6LC wrote:And a little brake fluid was making its way out of the master cylinder from the bottom bolt???? very strange, and its brand new.
Was going to inquire how the brakes felt after you had those few issues earlier. If needed, I have a new Scorpion master cylinder in the shed somewhere.

Cheers.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

the car looks really tail happy (Y) what do you say it goes like with a 2.6 in it
damian

Post by damian »

what numbers were you punching out on your dyno run?
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Dyno run didnt do power runs because it was running very lean and the oil light flickered on a few times (but its set to 20psi, and it was only a flicker) so guy didnt want to run it too long so will go back and get power figures.
Had 88hp at wheels but that was no where near full throttle.

Very tail happy, yes, like 3rd gear wheel spin awesome :D

I pulled it apart to paint it and here are some pics

and then some more in the album.
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z17/ ... 1QQtppZZ32

More build pics to come...Only put it here because the "build" section says restorations only oh well different is better :D

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Sorry about small pics, this happens every time i upload pics.
I took them on propper camera and uploaded to photobucket from there so good quality but not sure why they always small........tech help?

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
damian

Post by damian »

understandable. will be keen to hear what sort of numbers you make
we're expecting around 95kwatw when we get around to a dyno run

we're running stock pistons but have a set to throw in on the next build
and superscans carbies of love of course, we were going to go the efi route until we got hold of those carbies...