VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
VGJONO

Re: VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Post by VGJONO »

geezer101 wrote:If the compression is that bad you sure there isn't a valve issue? Anyway I think you'll be better off binning the 4G32 Saturn engine and go for extra cc's. The 4G52 Astron 2 litre is a good all round engine or you could go for a G62B or a G63B Sirius engine. Straight up you'll get 200 - 400 extra cc's and it will make a real world difference on the road. In a lightweight car like the Galant it'll maintain good fuel economy and will feel more responsive. The cash you'd pour into a bottom end rebore and build will fall way short over what you could drop in for a fraction of the cost. :thumpsup:
There are a few different reasons as to why i havent done that already and why im not jumping straight to the conclusion of an engine swap

Firstly this engine has had money spent on it, and it is a really good setup, very responsive and has a good deal of power, even though its a low comp setup to take a turbo. Secondly, while a 4G5x conversion would probably net me more power (possibly) it would weigh more, and would cost me upwards of 300 bucks to get it engineered for the car, of which is a big deal in QLD as modified car owners are constantly getting hassled over modifications, whether you have them or not. Third up is because im really happy with how this engine performs when its working correctly, it runs great, rev's great and goes great.

Now for some good news, pulled the head and this is the gasket, Blown but the best case scenario :thumpsup:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...fair enuff :z
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

geezer101 wrote:...fair enuff :z
Its all good geezer, if it was just a stocker i would be binning it for the 4G52 i have tucked away in the shed :thumpsup:

In other news the head is away getting a light skim to make sure its arrow straight for the measly price of a 6 pack of cat piss = WINNING

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Good trade - a head reface for 6 cans of cat piss :lol: Has the head had anything else done to it? Might be a good time to roll the edges off in the combustion chamber and polish it up :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Had a quick look and the Ports have all been smoothed out, didnt look at the combustion chambers too well, but wouldn't surprise me if it has already been done. The engine underwent a rebuild 25,000k's ago with the intention of strapping a hair dryer on it and getting some boost, confirmed mods are 40thou(1mm) oversized pistons, Ports have been done in the head and apparently the pistons are ment to lower the compression, i also suspect that the cam has been reground and the bottom end has seen a few $$ spent. Reason for the headgasket to blow i believe is that the head wasn't re-torqued, I got the engine when it had done 10,000k's so figured it had been done, guess i was wrong as the head studs were all over the place, some were single hand jobs, others were a little more challenging :P all good, lesson learnt and learnt a few things about the engine :)

Cheers
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

given the circumstances.....sounds liek u were quite lucky.....could've done alot more damage from far more silly reasons
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The things you find when undoing someone elses work... I recently pulled the head off my engine to find a chewed out hex key head bolt - and the crown busted off a tappet? wtf, how do you bust a crown off the top of an adjustable tappet... A blown head gasket isn't a biggie but still a PITA as it could've easily been avoided if it was retorqued accordingly. And I'd find that even more annoying considering how much work and cash has been poured into it :@
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Yeah it is annoying, but its not his fault nor mine, it would have been due for it when i took ownership of the engine, i didnt know any better and didnt think anything of it, and for what i payed vs. the amount of money rumored to have been spent i can't really complain :)

EDIT: just got a call from my parts supplier, new head bolts are going to take till the 19th of February to arrive :(
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Well its starting to come back together :) hopefully cruise ready by nightfall :thumpsup:

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Got the intake and exhaust bolted on, now to plumb it all back up and chuck the rocker cover and seals back on and she should be set :)

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG3TAJAiKdk|

Its alive and running alright, need to mess around with it a little to get it running properly though, had it all back together just in time to head to a car meet, and for the first time ever it wasnt the only galant :P

Cheers
VGJONO
webby

Post by webby »

Sounds sweet man, looks like she goes pretty well, too :thumpsup:
Gotta say, looks a million times better with the Hotwires. Perfect size for the old girl IMO (H)
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

That she does, drove my sisters bog stock 4 speed GA galant and it couldnt hold a candle to my GD, im glad i ended up getting these wheels, although i could use some wider rears as there is still some unused guard there :P

still waiting on event pics but took it out to a car cruise yesterday along with my sister and her GA
As usual i had a few people comment on my car, but alot were really interested in the GA (as it hasnt been out much)
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Woke up this morning to find this on my Facebook wall, Awesome shot of both my GD and my sisters GA by AC automotive photography

VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Look i have a new key rack :lol:
RyBj

Post by RyBj »

daym shawty! did you drop it on super lows? thats dope! i need to have mine way lower! what are you running in the front/back?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:lol:

Nah they're super lows, that were cut :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Yeah, i do not advise lowering your car this much, looks Badass but rides like a boat in a hurricane and you will start killing your strut tops lol
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

VGJONO wrote:Look i have a new key rack :lol:
^Cops see that and it's off the road dude...As soon as there's anything that looks like tyre/sidewall contact with the guard they'll nab you :(
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

i dunno ...how do u post a closeup pic of your wheel on the net without painting it,polishing it and having a friggin centre cap>? :facepalm:
Actually...I was quite disturbed by the lack of overall automotive cleanliness on the SG cruise the prior weekend..except for u Jason. ") u were shmick.
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Ha gaaaaaay ^
Merv

Post by Merv »

haterz goin' hate
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

geezer101 wrote:Cops see that and it's off the road dude...As soon as there's anything that looks like tyre/sidewall contact with the guard they'll nab you :(
They could nab me for whatever the hell they felt like, even if it wasnt defective, so why care?
ozdusterdave wrote:i dunno ...how do u post a closeup pic of your wheel on the net without painting it,polishing it and having a friggin centre cap>? :facepalm:
Actually...I was quite disturbed by the lack of overall automotive cleanliness on the SG cruise the prior weekend..except for u Jason. ") u were shmick.
"Good from afar, but far from good" you have to remember i daily this thing and i like to drive it, not be scared to drive it :)
webby

Post by webby »

ozdusterdave wrote:i dunno ...how do u post a closeup pic of your wheel on the net without painting it,polishing it and having a friggin centre cap>? :facepalm:
Ease up tiger, not everything has to be a concourse-tidy show car :lol:
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Lol ha ha merv haters gonna hate lol
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

hengagc75 wrote:Ha gaaaaaay ^
Lol..what is gay is the picture of your little red Galant..is it your sisters? :P :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So ive been chasing down some issues ive had at high RPM's first i thought it was all to do with the ignition system, so i got to tuning with the advice of some other forum members.

I also decided to fit a new fuel filter, out of curiousity i cut the old one open, to find this......

So after i had replaced the points, leads, plugs, fuel filter and had messed with the Dwell angle and timing to notice no real improvement i decided it was a good idea to open up the carby and see if there were any hidden surprises... of which there were, picture below you can see pools of brown stuff, thats rust particles, that has been blocking up my carby causing it to do all sorts of crazy things.

So after a late night on the car i got that all sorted and cleaned, also fitted a spare alternator i had laying around as i had troubles with the old one, and then i also fitted a filter onto the breather, of which is not connected to anything, i know i could get in trouble with the police over it, but it looks a bit more proper this way than just a length of pipe running off to the side that abruptly ends lol.

So im yet to test drive it but my fingers are crossed in hopes that it will run perfect on the way to work in the morning, might even take it easy and do my test run on the way home, as not to start my morning off in a bad way if i still have problems lol :P

More to come

Cheers
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

webby wrote:
Ease up tiger, not everything has to be a concourse-tidy show car :lol:
Yes you are right,each to their own.Although, if you are going to take your car to an organised car cruise/photo day/meet up..whatever ..surely you could at least spend about 15 minutes washing your car quickly..maybe even clean the windows?! Otherwise wtf sort of car enthusiasts are we?!
webby

Post by webby »

True enough :thumpsup:

Don't think I've actually washed my car since I've owned it, might be an idea before rego :think: :lol:
-Josh.
71GA

Post by 71GA »

Yes you are right,each to their own.Although, if you are going to take your car to an organised car cruise/photo day/meet up..whatever ..surely you could at least spend about 15 minutes washing your car quickly..maybe even clean the windows?! Otherwise wtf sort of car enthusiasts are we?![/quote]

I was trying to avoid getting into this but I spent a lot longer than 15 mintues cleaning my car (including windows) for that cruise and it wasnt up to your standards.

I really like your car VGJONO and i hope you got your dramas sorted.

Marty,