VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
75wagon
Admin

Re: my new 1976 GD Galant

Post by 75wagon »

I'd be keen to see those wheels on your GD.
GC75 used to have those wheels on his GC hardtop, and I didn't like them much, but because someone's painted those ones all black, it seems like a massive improvement :thumpsup:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

75wagon wrote:I'd be keen to see those wheels on your GD.
GC75 used to have those wheels on his GC hardtop, and I didn't like them much, but because someone's painted those ones all black, it seems like a massive improvement :thumpsup:
yeah if it stops raining for a while today im going to swap them onto my GD, i went and had a look at that, seems he had a smaller diameter variant, these as far as i know are 17x7's
A112H

Post by A112H »

Well spotted Dave, I didn't realise they were the same wheel. Agreed, they weren't a great addition to Vaughn's hardtop but all black they look okay. Should look good on the GC.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Rims are fitted, they need tires but seeming as i can only go to the local shops with the floods going on at the moment i dont think they will be an issue. currently 17" with 205 40's on them, they look a bit streched so i wonder what 215s would be like, my only concer with 215's would be the tire rubbing against the front struts as there is not much room left with these on it, 215's would be good on the back though

(doesnt look it in the photo's but the car is filthy from all the water lying around that ive had to drive through, also i found out i must not have a bung in the drivers footwell as after driving through some shallow water the footwell was a swimming pool :lol: )

the front of the parts car has king springs which i believe would be a 2" drop and it has 2" lowering blocks in the rear, i think the lowering blocks will be overkill but the springs up front on mine will look good
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Its ALIVE!!!!! :D

i figured out that there was a blockage or a break somewhere in the fuel lines so i pulled the rubber fuel line off of the metal fuel line that runs under the car, put a length of random pipe on it to extend it, filled a Jack Daniels bottle up with petrol and away she went :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 3517&saved

also found these in the GB so i wacked them in, i put them in the parkers but turned out they were orange so ive swapped them to the blinkers now, might have to look into picking more of these up
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I don't mind the look of them on it at all, but saying that, it definitely needs to go lower with that style of rim fitted.
Also, stretched tyres are the look for those style of rims IMO.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

75wagon wrote:I don't mind the look of them on it at all, but saying that, it definitely needs to go lower with that style of rim fitted.
Also, stretched tyres are the look for those style of rims IMO.
Yeah it does need to be lower, checked the front suspension on the parts car out this morning and they are king springs, so as soon as i can get into the shed i will swap out the struts ect. as for the rear i am unsure i want to drop it too much, i have 2" 2.5" lowering blocks but i think they will be too low.

and yeah i know that streched tyres suits the style of rim, but being brought up around valiants with as much rubber stuffed under the rear as possible, its hard to shake the habbit :lol:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Drop the front, and then measure up the rear and work out how much you need to go to make it look right.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Sorry, posted in wrong area :$
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

She lives!!! Haha sounds like its sucking a fair bit! And the gd looks cool with the rims, certainly complements the indicator case :thumpsup: I reckon 2" drop all round and she be right :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

haha yeah, found out later on that the fuel i found in the shed was 2 stroke :P but ive ran cars off of worse, when i was 14 i was running a 4cyl UC torana around my backyard using left over fuel from my dads boat :lol:
yeah im going to drop all the lowering gear in it and if i dont like the rear ride height ill just buy the right set for me and put them in. currently looking into new tires and getting the wheels balanced as im getting a horrible shudder around 80kph
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Haha they might be buckled??
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

no im thinking they just need tyres and a balance, the tyres on them are quite low on tread and cut up from the narrower guards of the GB
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea that may do it to? Also may have flat spots from lock up?
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

that wouldnt suprise me either, seems that if i stick around 80kph it gets really bad but if i accelerate past 80kph from say 60 no shudder at all while passing 80kph, its quite strange, it also may have something to do with my steering and alignment, im going to drop the struts in and put new tyres on, by the time ive done that my uncle will have his suspension shop in rocklea back together and i will take it down there and get it aligned and go through the suspension with him and sort out a "whats f&%*ed list" and start fixing the issues 1 by 1
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Hmm, that is weird. Might be steering components maybe?? I really have no idea. I've been lucky with that side of things
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

yeah, also the smaller sidewall makes the steering so much more responsive, but my steering wanders around a little bit at the moment so it can get a bit scary going over rough roads at the moment with how much more responsive it is
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Haha I bet! That'd be fun
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Here we go, Engine swap time :D

so this weekend i decided to start on my engine swap since i was offered a hand by 75glnt (thanks mate :thumpsup: ) we got the engine out mostly hassle free (car was too low to get the engine crane under :P ) yesterday and set it aside awaiting to be put into the GD

New one out, ready and waiting '

Now today i decided i would get the old motor out of the GD and get the new one in ...... well yeah, that didnt go as planned :P after a few stubborn bolts and some colourful language , i was able to unbolt (*cough* break *cough*) them out but sadly ate up a bit more time than i had thought and before i knew it, it was dark and the G32B was still in the car :( after a little longer we got it out and i have some spare time over the next few days so i will slowly get her back together :thumpsup:

New and Old

also for shits and giggles i got a pic of the diff vs. car angle haha (diff is laying on the leaf spring on the left and there is a 2 inch lowering block in the right)

masterful photo bomb by my pup while trying to get the previous pic :P

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

*massive fist pump* woop!!! :lol:

No worries mate! Ha a blast working on a car for a reason. Lol

Any luck on the clutch tube side of things?

What bolts snapped?? Lol

Can't wait to see the g32 in the gd!! Should have a little more poke :P although.. The 32b is pretty sad! :lol: might need new tyres after the transplant?? (Not because of skids.. Lol. Because an increase of power, vs bald tyres :) )

Keep us updated!! 8o| haha
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Havent done anything towards the clutch tube side of things due to the weather, and i cant move cars around in my yard at the moment as im pretty sure my father would not be impressed if i get his pride and joy bogged in the yard, so new motor is waiting until things dry up a bit sadly, although i still have plenty i can do inside the car.

Progress today was little, but still progress
I removed the dash from the car so A. i can get to the pedal setup bolts easier and B. so i can fit my new Tachometer (thanks Mitsugalant :thumpsup: ) also since my mother and sister are away for a few days i wont be getting yelled at for having car parts all over the dinner table :lol: so i decided to do all the swapping over ect. inside

Old clock be gone:

New tachometer (needs a clean, a fine brush like a small paintbrush should do the trick) :

bolted to the cluster :)

will probably finish putting the dash all back together tomorrow

Cheers

P.S. the bolts that broke were 2 of the gearbox crossmember bolts
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Dash looks better already! :thumpsup:

Hope it drys up soon! Lol :P I might be back then
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Cheers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Did you use this link to help wire it up?
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3280

I've never regretted buying mine for a minute, it's one of the best additions I've made to my wagon. So much so, I have a second tacho dash sitting waiting for me to put in in one of my other wagons.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So far ive just removed the tacho from its old cluster and put it onto mine and wired it the way it was wired on its original cluster.
Although i did read though your how to thread a while back which is why i ended up going original instead of a tacky aftermarket job, all i have left to do is connect the green wire :thumpsup: if it hasnt already been connected, i think someone has gone through my car connecting and disconnecting wires for the sake of it as i have detached wires that im finding not hooked up and connecting them to where i think they go and hey presto, i have something else that works.
but speaking of wires needing to be connected, next to the original positive for the clock there is a tab for a wire/connection, is this for the light that is on the demister/heater switches? mine was not connected to anything and that tab is within reach of the original wire

Cheers

EDIT:

:facepalm: X100000000 , just looked through your how to thread again and realised that the wire i just asked about was plugged up to where i thought it went in your photos :$
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

I'm at a similar position with mine. I was going to buy the tacho that you got but freight was cheaper from Asia than Aussie. The colours of wires to the coil were different on mine than pictured in that link but it was very useful. Just cobbling together one good dash out of the 5 or so I have before putting back together to see if it works.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

No Pics but motor is in :D just need to hook it up and sort out the bolts i broke and sort out a manual pedal setup as i fast realized a GB pedal setup is much different and it isnt as simle as just swapping the pedals over from the GB housing to the GD housing :banh:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Awesome!! Need another hand? Seeing as I was the one who disconnected it all, and didn't label it :facepalm: I know where it all goes, because its the same as my old gc. But you might not?? Lol
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

i disconnected the old motor so i pretty much know where it all goes :thumpsup: just have to sort out somewhere to put the earth as the cable wont reach to where the old earth was, so im guessing ill just put it on the engine mount bolt going into the block ??
Just called a mobile thread fix company and after explaining what type of car it was the lady on the phone laughed and said she used to own one then continued to ask me about it :P still waiting on a quote (hopefully not too much)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Haha!! Cool! Yea, run the earth to anywhere like that. Mines on the body and on the engine block at the front drivers side.
N/A ALL THE WAY