VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
VGJONO

Re: my new 1976 GD Galant

Post by VGJONO »

:banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh: :banh:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Gearbox giving ya hell mate? I've got an idea I researched and its been done before. (Not on a galant, but a subframe type car). You need a 3-5mm plate each side the width of the gearbox x member and as deep as the frame. Mark out and drill the holes for the bolts to go through. Weld the plate on the bottom (ground) side of the frame so it's visible. Get your nut and find a socket that fits. On the floor of the car (on the inside) mark out a hole a little larger than the socket (so the socket will fit when doing it all up). Also, to find where to cut the floor. Get a punch and go through the frame to the floor, tap it so it leaves a very small but noticeable dent in the floor. Hole saws work best for the cut because the drill but can be centred on the don't, making sure it's in the right place. Once it's all cut, get the x member up to the floor, place the bolt up through towards the floor. Place the nut on the bolt and tighten it up. If needed, you could weld the nut to the frame and cover the holes.

That's the easier less terminogically challenged way of putting it. The guy was like a scientist the way he wrote! Lol. But that's way works :P there's other ways like Dave said. And thinking about it. I can't get my head around it. The way I think is drill a slightly larger hole in the floor. Place a steel tube that fits inside the biggest hole. But your nut and bolt through and tighten it up. But in my head. The nut or bolt is in the cabin of the car. Protruding above the floor level. But that's not necessarily how it would go. Just how I imagine it. Lol

It'll all turn out on the end. Try scorpioncollector? He may have a 5 speed cheap enough??
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

interesting, my thoughts are something long the lines of that, just a bit simpler and more idiot proof so i can do them :P my major issue was i pulled up the carpet to find water and mold ect. basically have to sand my kick panels and repaint them with a few layers of paint to water froof them as they are holding water
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Lol it's a lot easier if I told you in person! I just said it like that to make me sound smart :P haha! It really is easy. Lol
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Post by A112H »

75glnt wrote: I just said it like that to make me sound smart :P
It didn't work :P
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:o :( :hit: :P . Hahaha very funny jase! :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

A112H wrote:
75glnt wrote: I just said it like that to make me sound smart :P
It didn't work :P
:lol:

my plan is just to buy some nuts to match my bolts and drill a hole in the floor pan big enough to drop a socket though to hold the nut still, so as far as i can tell basically the same idea (almost)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea but it needs to be strengthened. Hence the steel plate. Otherwise it bends the rail
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Alright the little bugger is in, gearbox secured, pedal assembly finished, clutch tube and cable istalled and all the wiring plugged up (inc neutral switch bypass) and ..................... :banh: DANM ELECTRICAL GREMLINS :banh:

so far it should have started lasnight, but it didnt so thismorning i remembered the condenser wiring was stuffed when it was removed from the old car, so i replaced that and hooray we have spark, after turning it over for a little while and it coughing and wanting to start the starter gave in, so with the help of mick (75glnt) we swapped it out for my old starter from the G32B. and now it has nothing, wont crank at all, so we double checked the connections, cleaned the terminals redone the neutral switch and still nothing :banh:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Bloody pain!! Lol. Reminds me of my gb! Took me a good 2 years to sort out the car nut and bolt to finally get it running! Unfinished projects suck!
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

ITS ALIVE................kinda :$

After consulting an auto electrical guy he suggested that putting relay in would fix the problem, and hey presto, she started...... Briefly, sputtering alot, I thing the exhaust manifold needs to be tightened down or have a gasket replaced, anyway hopefully I'll be cruising around in her again by morning :D
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

YES!!!!!!! 8o| that's great news mate! Shame I couldn't help! Was at work. Lol
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

yeah haha, i would have brought it around but a friend of mine offered to follow me on its maiden voyage and since she still needs some tweaking i figured being followed by my mechanic friend would be helpful if i had any issues other than the having no reverse, no speedometer, no tachometer, no reverse lights, no grill and no shifter boot to cover the shifter hole in the floor :P with the no reverse situation, im pretty sure i just need to mess around with the shifter a bit, its almost engaging but not quite there. other than that, and a very noisy exhuast manifold leak (drowning out all sound but its own) she ran well, gets up and goes alot faster than the old G32B and slowmatic, also had to replace all the plugs as all of them were broken (cracked ceramic)

Cheers
VGJONO
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Alrighty well excitement is over with the new engine, needs a little bit of tweaking (idling rough, an odd noise, Probably a miss which is causing this) but after messing around with the gearbox some more with the help of Mick(75glnt) it looks like she's stuffed, so i either have to drop in the other 4 speed i have or find a 5 speed so i dont have to replace the gearbox twice, this would also mean a new clutch because as i said before dont want to be doing it a third time :P
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

5 Speed Time (H)

Cheers :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Have you got a gear stick with a rubber boot on it that seals to the floor?

Here's a tip for you, when you're going to cut the floor. Measure twice and cut once.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Got this from Autobarn for 30 bucks, should do the trick :thumpsup:

test drives with the 4spd have been with a hole in the floor so far though :P
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

I'll be around this arvo.. Unless you're waiting to get a new clutch? :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Gearbox is in ........ Kind of, still need to finish Bolting the bellowing to the motor then tailshaft, wire up my reverse lights and all mechanicals are good, one problem now is my Speedo cable wont reach anymore, what can I pinch a Speedo cable out of that will fit my gauges/gearbox?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

My gb! :facepalm: :P haha! For the time being of coarse :) but possibly out of a sigma? Or an auto galant? Oh, yours was auto :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

sadly the GA-GB and GC-GD ones arent compatable, so i wont be able to borrow one :P i would go back to where i got the box from to get the cable out of that siggy but half the cable came with the box :wut: ill just have to pinch my GPS back off of my dad until i can find a replacement, that will mean he will finally have to fix the speedo cable in his hilux thats been broken for 3-4 months now :P
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Haha! Or zip tie a gb cluster in place of yours? :P so you've tried the auto cable from your gd?
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

yeah tried the auto one, i have a manual one so im going to take the auto one out and compare lengths to see if the manual one is a bit longer, only needs an extra inch or two.

Good news of today is....... 5 Speed is done :D still some bits and pieces (mostly interior peices) to bolt back on then all is good, i will need to get a proper GC-GD pedal setup though as i had to yet again re-design my makeshift setup as my brake lights weren't working (macgyver would be jealous of this setup :P )
also had an issue with the clutch cable length of which the Cable i was using that was out of the parts GB was too long, so i grabbed the GC-GD one i bought when i first started collecting stuff for my manual conversion and while longer the usable lengths were shorter so it has worked a treat, learnt this the hard way after the clutch cable fell of down the bottom of my street and kept falling off, so i had to drive is back up the street in first gear :P

anyways once i get it all figured out ill put up a video of the car running and maybe even a drive down the street :D

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Awesome!!! :D hahahaha
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

well day one of daily driver duties complete, a few small issues, one of which is my pedals dont line up with my brake light switch and my "quick fix" didnt last the whole day so im going to yet again mess with my pedal setup, other than that all went good, i do have a pinging/tapping noise so im going to check the timing before tomorrow and i still have to put the interior back together (still a ugly hole in the floor and no kick panels :P )
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Great to hear mate! :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Got some video's for trouble shooting purposes

Firstly im not sure on whether i can trust my Tachometer
http://youtu.be/iYC4S18Wkzc

Secondly I have a ticking noise of which i cant seem to track down (played with my timing a little bit this morning and it went away untill i drove up the street)
http://youtu.be/Ael7F1cnLv4

and thirdly just an exhuast angle so you can hear the 1600 Goodness :P
http://youtu.be/wESvClrRgvA

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I don't think I'd trust that tacho either :think:

Just sounded like a stock 4G32 to me. Maybe I didn't pick up on the ticking?

You need to get some twins on that, or at least a sports filter. That'll add to that, and make it sound beefcake :thumpsup:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Yeah, seeing as the green wire was attached to a ballast resistor then when attached to the coil the Tacho started working, maybe something is up with the wiring, i know that the wiring seems to be pretty butchered in my Galant

Under load it has quite a noticable tick, while not as noticable at idle it is still there, ill take the car for a run with the camera

And yeah i know, i almost got a twin Jap SU setup the other day but couldnt afford it due to the gearbox situation :(
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

astronturbo77 has a twin downdraught set up for sale.