VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
VGJONO

Re: VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Post by VGJONO »

Scorpma82 wrote:the black grille section looks very smart....the black coloring on the wheel really suits the car well too....although (IMO) i'd change the style of the wheel to make it more 'period correct'...maybe a set of stretched 14" sigma wheels painted black...with a chrome dress ring on them and chrome centre cap
Ive been keeping an eye out for a cheap set of hotwires or dragways, or if im lucky some SSR Meshies, but we will see, for the moment these things have new tires and look better than anything else i have.
Scorpma82 wrote:The AJAX has really worked it's magic on your door trims too!!! Good use of lateral thinking there 99!

What's next on the agenda?
Detainling the engine bay (perhaps hiding/neatening the wiring), relocationg the battery, different air cleaner???
Lowering?
Bigger brakes?
Interior inclusions? (gauges,lights etc)
Thanks, id did seem to work well, and up until earlier today (explenation below) the car smelt pretty nice haha :P

And for whats next on the agenda, here you go....
to replace these after the sandwich failed

Also have new bolts with larger washers for the manifold aswell as the old ones were quite small. i am now waiting for the copper silicone stuff to set, apparently in 1 hour but for best results i should leave it for 24 hours, so im going to leave it as long as i can. but while going into town today to get all of this stuff she decided it would be funny to have a waterfight with the extractors. when i pulled up at the nut and bolt shop and opened the bonnet up for the guy to measure the threads she was spraying from the bottom radiator hose. by the time i got home there wasnt enough water for it to spray, didnt overheat though, so thats a bonus i guess :\
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Damn!!! :think:
N/A ALL THE WAY
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

VGJONO wrote:she was spraying from the bottom radiator hose. by the time i got home there wasnt enough water for it to spray, didnt overheat though, so thats a bonus i guess :\
When that happens, loosen the radiator cap and tape up the hole if possible. This will de-pressurize the cooling system so the water won't be forced out. You can drive quite a while like this and not lose any coolant.

Cheers.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

That's how I usually bleed the coolant system :$

Make sure you pour very slowly so you don't cause any air pockets.........seal the rad cap on to the 1st click...that way it's water tight, but not air tight.....then turn off, wait for it to cool a lil and top up accordingly...and rad cap fully sealed

A bit silly and risky I know.....but it's a method that has never failed me and never had an overheating problem! :thumpsup:
Built with pride, Driven in anger
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Cheers Scorp ill keep that in mind when i top it up today :thumpsup:

EDIT: Also cheers superscan, sadly even if i had though of that it wouldnt have helped, the split was around the hose clamp and wouldnt of been able to seal, still i will kepp that in mind, thanks :thumpsup:

And after putting a good 150k's on the old girl today after the new exhuast manifold gasket and hose fix, im glad to say i think it is fixed, had a ball cruising around in her today, finishing up out at acacia ridge for a car meet, while i was off talking with people 75glnt had a few people around my car teaching them of early mitsu's :P it was great to get the car out to what is really an unbiased crowd, these guys loved everything that showed up, absolutely everything.

VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

I was picking my sister up from doing some volunteer work when she said she spotted some tires down the road and wanted to stop and get one to use for something to do with her horse. anyways when i turned around this is what i saw, just had to get a photo (kicking myself that i only had my phone :$ )
and got one of the front too 8-)

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Always keen to teach the unfortunate (unfortunate that they don't know what it is :P )

And those shots look pure sexy!!!! (H)
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Ive been taking the old girl out to the mighty car mods friday night meets (she gets to mix it up with the newer imports ect.)
the other week the wheels got reckognized, a friend of the person who owned the white GB noticed them and asked me what they were off, went on to tell him that the motor is in it aswell and that i was parting the white one out to get more of them on the road. he also confirmed most of what i knew of the engine, not to mention he gave me an estimate of what his mate had spent on the engine work.

Anyways this week i will be getting some fine tuning done on the motor, aswell as a service and hopefully a wheel alignement and some new tie rod ends to tighten up the steering. all in time for sunday, of which is going to be an awesome day as i have brought tickets to give the old girl a thrash on Queensland raceway for half an hour. Videos of that to come :thumpsup:

Cheers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

I forgot about that!! That would be great to see! :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Took the cover off and started freaking out because something didnt look right, then i remembered that it is only a 13000klm old engine :lol:
Alot cleaner that the 4G32B was when i did the tappet cover gasket on it :P

Also picked up a 3 guage set from autobarn, they arent flashy brand name ones but they will be better than the oil pressure light and very vague temp guage that comes standard in the Galant :P not sure if i will use the ammeter gauge or replace it

More to come later
Cheers
79_lancer

Post by 79_lancer »

VGJONO wrote: Ive been keeping an eye out for a cheap set of hotwires or dragways, or if im lucky some SSR Meshies, but we will see, for the moment these things have new tires and look better than anything else i have.:\

I have a set of hot wires but they are only 13's...... And in adelaide

Cheers,
Dave
1979 LC lancer ( possibly awaiting big plans )

1979 LC lancer ( other daily )

1968 VE valiant safari wagon ( EOI $1800 ONO )

2007 Nissan pathfinder (daily )

GD Galant, hothouse green ( hopefully finished.... Some time....)
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

79_lancer wrote:I have a set of hot wires but they are only 13's...... And in adelaide
Bugger, a litte far out of the way for me :P thanks anyway mate :thumpsup:

Now onto what i am attempting to do today

Now i only say attempting as i am only doing this in my downtime while trying to fix this http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 725#p97725

http://s397.photobucket.com/user/Jonomo ... a.mp4.html

Cheers
VGJONO
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Fitted and working :D (except the ammeter gauge, i don't need it, its just filling the hole :P) Mind the modification near the ciggie lighter, i got the gauges thinking the bottom of the dash was straight, so i cut and bent the steel out of the way, not super tidy but doesn't look too bad i don't think

And i finally got my own fire extinguisher and fitted it (had my fathers one loose in the rear footwell for the last year :P) also excuse the messy wiring, to be tidied up next

We have improved the tappet spacing but at running temp it is still quite loud, i am going to take the car for a run upto the shops to get some fuel then when i get back re-adjust the rocker arms. we are pretty confident they are stuffed so i will also be on the lookout for some new ones (if thats possible)

All this is in preparation for tomorrow, when i am attending a MCM track meet of which we all get 30 mins track time :D i will be posting the videos from my dash-cam (of me getting passed a whole bunch :P)

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

More to come from today later :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

and another one
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So yesterday i had a blast at the track in the old girl, no powerhouse but she was one of the oldest cars on the track mixing it with Skylines/Silvia's/WRX's and all sorts of other cars. The Galant held up pretty well for the most part, I was still able to throw her through a few corners at a decent pace, despite the rain and my factory suspension (even had her sideways once or twice which was fun, super easy to control when the ass is hanging out too) The only real issue i had was the brakes started cooking after about 5-10 laps and i had to back off and come into the pits for a minute.

I have dashcam footage of most of the track time but so far only the first one is uploaded, i have another 9-10 5 minute videos uploading at the moment so if you check out the rest of the vids on the youtube channel they should be there eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... T4eMR8Fu7g

Also made it into a few more pics aswell as this video of the day (around the 4 minute mark) - http://vimeo.com/70296250

A112H

Post by A112H »

Grease your clutch pedal, drove me nuts listening to it, lol
Looks like a good day though. How often do they have this and what did it cost?
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

haha, i wish grease would fix it, that squeek is the result of some bad backyard engineering, had to make a GA-GB pedal setup fit the GD which resulted in some dodgy modifications :P
This was their first track day, only cost $40 for the track time and lunch. there are a few different groups that put these days on, another group do coffee and laps which is an early saturday morning track session for $60, they hold that every few months. Not sure when the MCM guys will hold another one of these, judging by the huge success of the first one i would imagine soon. And it was an excellent day, cant wait to take the car out on the track again :P
A112H

Post by A112H »

We really need something like this in SA. We have a great track at Mallala just need someone to organise affordable drive days like this.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Yeah, its not hard to do, this event was organised by the two guys who run the Mighty Car mods-Brisbane fan page. they were even surprised by how well the day went, they had sold only 20 tickets for the day before hand and were worried we wouldnt reach the 30 or 40 car minimum, on the day they had 78 cars on the track, and these guys started their meets about 4-5 months ago in random carparks all over Brisbane. it will be interesting to see what its like by the end of the year. i now want to go have ago at lakeside up north :P
79_lancer

Post by 79_lancer »

A112H wrote:We really need something like this in SA. We have a great track at Mallala just need someone to organise affordable drive days like this.
:stupid: too rite we do lol..... just need my car done so i can have some fun in it lol.
Looks like you had fun jono..... pretty jealous :P
1979 LC lancer ( possibly awaiting big plans )

1979 LC lancer ( other daily )

1968 VE valiant safari wagon ( EOI $1800 ONO )

2007 Nissan pathfinder (daily )

GD Galant, hothouse green ( hopefully finished.... Some time....)
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So i am a VERY SPESHUL human being :facepalm: x10

I had to do some fiddling around with the car today, i wanted to replace my sparkplug leads, fit another fuel pump and check all my tappet spacings again as they were still kind of loud.

So i went to autobarn and grabbed the gaskets for the fuel pump, then went to supercheap to buy new leads and another set of feeler guages (as the ones i previously used are missing)

So i pick up another set of guages, put the leads on my car in the carpark knowing that i would have grabbed the wrong leads, sure enough i did so i got them exchanged for the correct ones, got home, done the fuel pump and then left the car for a while. upon returning i took the rocker cover off, then grabbed the new guages, and to my surprise when i opened it up they were all in 0.xxxmm. then it clicked, the other week i was using imperial feeler guages thinking they were metric :banh: meaning i was setting my clearances at 0.007 of an inch not of a millimeter (works out around 0.1778mm), hence why they were still super noisy. nedless to say i feel pretty damn stupid right now, i will update on how the adjustments go now i am on the right track.

Cheers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:lol: good job :) glad you found it.. I wouldn't have :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Lol, yeah, one of my many "speshul" moments :P

Also forgot to mention i went on a cruise tuesday night up two of the local mountains, went well and i managed to keep up with the other three cars (DC4 Integra, Rx8, twin turbo RX7)
It was tuff work going up the mountain keeping up, but on the way down i had the upper hand, both the integra and the RX7 were new cars to their owners so they were still learning their limits, kind of. (and the integra had mad understeer meaning i left it behind through the corners :P )

EDIT: Got everything adjusted up correctly and it is much quieter, i think i will need to mess around with it again to get it perfect but its the best its been while ive had it, i think there is like one or two tappets that are still making a tiny bit of noise.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

This should be attached right??
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Nah! She be right! Think of it as suspension for the battery :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

lol its all fixed now, didnt get any pictures of the finished product though. also cleaned the car out and tidied some other things up, its all ready for Mopar sunday tomorrow, im very interested to see how slow it will go :P
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Nice! :D
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Well had a blast out at Mopar sunday today. Managed to get a ET of 19.86 (of which i could improve on easily) and also managed to pul 71.7HP on the Dyno and won my class in the Dyno Shootout (probably because i was the only 4cyl :P )

Cheers
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Mate, you can still turn around and say that ur car won the dyno challenge!

And the numbers really mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.......you went out there and had a blast....u've built/building a car that ur proud of and its great to see it on tracks and dyno's, even if it is just for fun.

We always say "we need more of these cars out there"....ur actually doing it!!!

Congrats on the day and im looking forward to getting my car (started and) done so i can give you a run for your money :P
Built with pride, Driven in anger