VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
75glnt

Re: VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Post by 75glnt »

Scrapped it... What ya after? Quarter still?
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

VGJONO wrote:Image
if it wasnt dented it was mostly made of bog, so not sure it would have been much help to you anyways
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So its been a frustrating few days, dropped off the flywheel at the local mechanics/machine shop and told to pick it up the next day, next morning i get a call saying the owner is not happy with the flywheel as his machine is playing up or something so they are sending it elsewhere and if that was fine by me, so off it went for yet another day to go and be machined. i ended up picking that up yesterday but didnt have the time to start fitting everything till today

The difference between the smaller and larger flywheels, also the quality difference in the machining

So first up i walked into the shed and thought to myself, there shouldnt be any problem..... but im going to make sure the clutch still fits on the new flywheel, ofcourse not, it has new locating pins which are somehow just a bee's dick larger than the old ones, so i chucked the clutch plate housing onto the drill press and carefully gave each hole an ever so slight enlargening, then viola, it fit perfectly,

Next problem was after i had fitted the flywheel and clutch and was just tightening up the last bolts when suddenly..... SNAP *insert multiple curse words in here*, snapped the bolt off in the flywheel, sou out came everything again and off i went to buy easy outs (professional quoted me $120 to remove the one bolt :@ ). so when i returned with the easy outs i drilled into the centre of the bolt only for the drill bit to bite in on it and get stuck, so i turned the drill bit anti-clockwise and what do you know... the prick starts winding out,

so then i got the clutch all bolted into the car (being super cautious using a torque wrench which is unlike me) thankefully that all went smoothly, then after a few failed attempts at fitting the gearbox i determined i needed a helping hand and packed up for the night :P

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Its Back, Gearbox went in today and got everything fixed up just in time to head out to Yatla drive in movies with my Father and visiting relatives from NSW

New clutch is going to take some getting used to, not much heavier under foot, but doesnt take any shit, so there have been a few unintentional launches :P

Cheers
llgc

Post by llgc »

Here he is at the DriveIn, 3 great Chryslers in a row
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

it looks so innocent there, although it is puking out all its brake fluid onto the ground lol :lol:

thankfully there were no brake malfunctions and after a top up it was fine, needed the brakes for this later that night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znc-QypNfAM

Cheers for the pic llgc :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Things have been a little toastie out here and the old girl has an issue with traffic or really any issue that involves being stationary, so i picked up a thermo fan today and fitted it, just to a switch in the cabin at the moment :)

Cheers
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

was thinking about putting a thermo on my galant but it doesn't seem to want to get hot?! Highest i've seen it get so far is the first line a quarter way up from the cold line.. i really need to go on a longer drive lol.

What size thermo you end up running?
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Running a 10" fan, fits nicely on the radiator, the first line on the guage is running temp i believe, they have a weird gauge lol, thats why i put some mechanical aftermarket ones in it :P mine struggled to get warm when i first got it, turns out there wasnt any thermostat in it, might be worth checking :thumpsup:
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Oh sweet as. Yeah mines not to bad on getting warm quickish.. and it does have a thermostat as i pulled it out but stupid me forgot to check to see if it actually worked lol.. Will try that another time soon.. but so far it doesn't get anywhere near overheating ;)
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Fair enough, i think where i have gone wrong is by putting a high flow thermostat in, its great for thrashing it around as the temperature is very consistent, but once parked up it gets warm quick, what makes sense to me is that the water is passing through the radiator faster, therefore not cooling down as much, hopefully this fan can get me out of trouble for a while :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Had a little fun out at the track yesterday morning, Had some ignition issues which seen the car misfire around 5000rpm onwards at best, still i was able to get her upto 120kph on the rear straight which is better the first time i went to QR, i struggled to get upto 100kph then.

Cheers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Looking good :thumpsup:

How'd the clutch go?

How do the tyres go on the track?
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

The new clutch went well, no issues, The tires really didnt get a work out, since this is only "happy laps" you cant really throw the car into the corners at any speed unless there is Nobody around you, which with 70-100 cars on track doesnt happen often.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Ah true... Getting to be rather popular eh... Did you see dans coupe out there?
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Yes, had a quick chat to him aswell, that Hardtop is awesome on the track.
llgc

Post by llgc »

So is the 20kmh improvement due to the weber? Have you had the car around Lakeside? There is All Australian Day on up there 2nd March if you're interested
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Id say so, it has made a major improvement to the over all acceleration, Can also put you foot down and go somewhere without changing gears if need be, and the sound is 10x better than a standard carby :P but thats probably because of the performance filter on it more than anything :P
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

More photo's
Went out to Mt Gravvat with some mates and a friend snapped a few pics with his new camera

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

I feel loved, getting my car posted to one of the largest car pages in SEQ while im on an auto store raid :lol:

VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

LOOK WHAT I GOT :D
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

a rusty hole in the exhaust??????

ohhh..theres a turbo there!!! :P
For yuor 4G32??
Built with pride, Driven in anger
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Yep, only thing i can see wrong with it though it its a manifold off of a fwd car, meaning the turbo is back to front, so i might have to look into getting an adaptor made up to sit between the turbo and manifold to spin the turbo around 180 degrees, also the turbo requires assembly but doesnt seem to have any play
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Ha! Why?? Just do a flip with it and make it a high mount... While you're doing that, cut the flange off and spin it... Done! :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Not looking good :(
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

i can see this 4G32 being overbored now...upto about 1800cc????
Built with pride, Driven in anger
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

its already 40thou over
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

If the compression is that bad you sure there isn't a valve issue? Anyway I think you'll be better off binning the 4G32 Saturn engine and go for extra cc's. The 4G52 Astron 2 litre is a good all round engine or you could go for a G62B or a G63B Sirius engine. Straight up you'll get 200 - 400 extra cc's and it will make a real world difference on the road. In a lightweight car like the Galant it'll maintain good fuel economy and will feel more responsive. The cash you'd pour into a bottom end rebore and build will fall way short over what you could drop in for a fraction of the cost. :thumpsup:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Unfortunately it's not a stock engine... Had a fair bit of money thrown at it for a turbo setup... All it needs is the turbo itself... So I don't see that being an option :P
N/A ALL THE WAY