VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
VGJONO

VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Post by VGJONO »

Just picked myself up this GD Galant for a really good price, im stoked at how goods it is for what i paid,

The car is in good good condition, the paintwork has humidity bubbles in it but still looks good
1.6 4G32 with an auto that will make way for a manual
Plans are to register it and use it as a daily

Cheers
Jono (H)
Last edited by VGJONO on Thu May 30, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75wagon
Admin

Re: my new 1976 GD Galant

Post by 75wagon »

Yeah doesn't look like a bad place to start.

I'm looking forward to see what you do with this...

Someone went a bit crazy with the blue paint on this one :think:
I'm not a fan of the wheels, way to new school for this old bus.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Very nice Galant! The bodywork looks great in the pics but yes, the wheels have gotta go... Even the interior appears to be pretty tidy for a car that's 35 years old.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

I'm not a fan of the wheels either but they will have to do for a while as i have to spend money elsewhere, although they aren't too bad, the pictures make them look painted when they are actually polished (just very dirty), the only things that need to be worked out is a few electrical gremlins, (80% done already) and the carby needs a rebuild as she is very hard to start and wont idle till she gets warm, other than that the car is ready for the road mechanically, i need to track down a rear bumper as mine is rusted through on the ends, and a new dash pad wouldn't go a stray. also going to put a Cd player in it and a 5 speed and i should be happy for a while then.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Your dash pad looks better than most of them you'll find around so you're gonna be struggling with that one. They are notorious for shrinking on the ends and between the glove box and the heater controls, then splitting the pad in the middle. Good luck with ironing out the bugs and finally being able to really enjoy driving it.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Yer thats what has happened to mine but then someone has re covered it in black vinyl, it doesn't look too bad, just doesn't look right and has a wrinkle dead smack in the middle. car is also in need of an exauhst in the near future, has a bunch of leaks and holes
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

If you can peel the vinyl off have a go at recovering it yourself. First remove the windscreen demister panel and cut out the raised points out of the crash padding with a break away knife in straight paralell lines and fill the void with expanding foam - something like selleys space invader.Build it up a bit then plane it down with the knife until it's about the same shape and level as the rest of the crash padding, and then sand it back. Give it a coat of adhesive (nothing solvent based or it'll eat the foam filler) and stretch some fresh vinyl over it. You could give the demister panel a coat of epoxy semi gloss black while you're at it to freshen it up.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Head lights are all sorted, needed a few fuses and the alternator wasn't working properly, replaced the fuses and now the alternator is working fine after running the car for a while, just need to adjust it to give the belt some tension as it squeals when the high beams are on and the alternator is under load (possible replacement in the near future) other than that, floor mats and seat covers and replaced a bunch of fuses and got the demister working and now I'm thinking its ready for rego, oh and cleaned up the dash with some armor all wipes and its come up mint, going to buy some decent polish tomorrow and give the wheels a polish to see how long i can bear them on the car

Cheers
Jono
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So the cars is ready for rego, now i just need to wait for a bit more money as i got side tracked and bought some stuff i really shouldn't have yet, walked into supercheap the other day to find a shelf of Kenwood Audio gear on clearance and figured im going to buy this stuff eventually so why wait and pay full price, so now fitted into the car is a Kenwood Head unit (in the glovebox so its hidden) 4 Kenwood 4 inch speakers and 2 6 inch Speakers(2x4in and 2x6in on the parcel shelf and the other 2 4in are in the front kick panels somehow), and a Kenwood 12in Sub (of which i already bought ages ago and figured why not) first audio install ive done even though i had help with the wiring and im pretty happy with it, of course i will be re doing the kick panels as they were already pretty scuffed up and one is missing a corner. other than that, washer bottle motor has been replaced and a new switch and wiring has been run to run the washer bottle, and 2 new tires (195 50 r15) have been fitted a swell as the wheels have been polished up and look great.
(not the tidiest, but ill be making a new kick panel in the future and might involve some reshaping)
(still needs some finishing touches to be fitted properly in the glove box)

Cheers Jono
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So its been a while since i updated this thread, ive had the little beast rego'd for a few weeks now, the little thing is a dream to drive apart from the carby issues I'm having, but a Webber is getting ordered in the morning to sort that right out, the car gets a lot of compliments and confuses a lot of people as they haven't seen one in 20-30 years if at all.

already worked her into some of my photography assignments

Cheers
Jono
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So i got a few goodies in the mail over the past week and also got My exhuast done,

New Bar and a SG.com sticker (thanks 75wagon)
New window seals (thanks again)
Some Second hand extractors (half heat wrapped at the moment :$ ) system is a 2" with a resinator and muffler, sounds quite nice and has helped give her a bit more punch down low

Next is a new starter motor, Altenator, Carby and finish wrapping the extractors :P
also a simple fix but a new thermostat may be needed since the weekend, noticed my temp was a bit higher than usual on the run out to willowbank (7am = Freezing) and home it was running a bit colder (4pm = not as cold)

Cheers :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Alright so i got bored the other day and had to do the rocker cover gasket so while the rocker cover was off i decided to break out the spray can. then sanded back the fins on the top

Also i recently got the windows tinted. i was told however that the rear window could not be done unless it was taken out of the car due to its shape, anyone else have this problem?

however after fixing the rocker cover gasket and degreasing my engine bay i found that i have a more serious problem than that, of which i was figuring anyways due to the amount of oil ect. on the firewall. it seems im now getting blowback through the dipstick tube 8o| just cant win with this motor :(

now today while out with friends i found a wrecking yard close by with older mitsubishi's (cant find sigma's ect. in a wrecking yard to save my life here in QLD) and a sigma wagon sitting in a yard a few streets away. so hopefully in the new year i will be able to go ahead with an engine/gearbox transplant. 2.0L or 2.6L with a 5 speed, probably look into making an efi setup out of a Magna Manifold in the future aswell

Cheers
VGJONO
A112H

Post by A112H »

Windows look good Jono but that sounds like crap about the back window. I have heard it about the scorpions but that is a prick of a window, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to do a sedan glass
Last edited by A112H on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

nice man liking the white interior :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

VGJONO wrote:i was told however that the rear window could not be done unless it was taken out of the car due to its shape, anyone else have this problem?
What happened to them being able shrink the window tint to fit on the outside of the window? They used to be able to do it 20 years ago, why can't they now?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Thanks guys

yeah i would have figured that it would be easy to do, but im not going to badmouth the guy as he did apologies and didn't charge me for the tint on the side windows and at the end of the day he did a good job aswell. and seeing as i have a rust issue at the bottom of the rear window that i need to adress soon i will just get the screen tinted when i take the window out to fix the rust.

Cheers
VGJONO
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

just done some mods and washed her over the last few days, been a while between washes :$

Ghettoed seat rails for new aftermarket SAAS seats (that are going to be replaced asap due to them being as uncomfortable as all hell)

A friend of mine got me this for christmas, i intend to move the voltmeter under the dash and put a 2 5/8 speco Tacho in its place

and washed after 3 months, kept kinda tidy until i left it under a tree the other night for the first time, walk out in the morning to find not only had the tree dropped all sorts of sap and bullshit but our new pup had jumped on the sides and put nice big muddy paw prints all over the car.
still needs a polish (wheels included as they are nice and grubby looking still)

Cheers (H)
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

Where did you get the window seals?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

He bought them off me, they weren't new, but they were nice and soft.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

can get window rubbers easy, just go to rubber store. I can get them for postage fee if you need from WA. Mine fit like a dream but i used silicone to stop any water getting in
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So a very sad looking GB Galant just arrived in my front yard just in time to enjoy the wet aussie day weather

picked this up for $150, it has a worked 1.6 (mild head work, 40thou over pistons ect.) and is lowered all around, my plans are to steal the carpet (if i can) the motor and gearbox, possibly the wheels and im going to see what the lowered suspension looks like in the GD (if its too low ill take it back out)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

holy crap!! poor bugger! :( i reakon the gd would look cool with the rims and suspension
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

75glnt wrote:holy crap!! poor bugger! :( i reakon the gd would look cool with the rims and suspension
yeah im hoping so, if the rain clears up for a few minutes i might go and see if i can start her, and if the rain buggers off for an hour or so i may just change the rims over to see how they look :P
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:lol: great motivation there mate :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

haha yeah, get it done or have a shower :lol:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

haha or if you go outside. you can have both! :thumpsup: :lol:
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

:lol: i just went outside, everything seemed fine, i take one step out of the cover and it starts bucketing down again haha so i just went and got a tarp to cover the drivers side door so it doesnt turn into a fish tank

Edit:
i also forgot to put a photo up before

hows this for fitment (axle isnt attached to the spring) :lol:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

haha! lowrider :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

you could say that haha, thanks to the diff not being attached we could only move the car half a meter at a time, each time we would push the diff would move the wheel against the guard and the wheel would catch and stop turning, so while 3 of us were pushing we had someone else on "diff duty" who had to yank on the wheel everytime it got close to the guard :lol:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:lol: good one ya's. spose, whatever works hey? lol
N/A ALL THE WAY