VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
VGJONO

Re: VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Post by VGJONO »

Last edited by VGJONO on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A112H

Post by A112H »

:thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

If you look closely, just behind the blinds there, you can see Jono...

'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

i dont see it ;-)
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

I have been driving the old girl around the last few days on the new carby, fuel economy hasn't really changed but the power difference is great, it has a lot more down low and a nice improvement on the higher revs as well. it still needs a tune, idles rough as guts (friend was asking if i put a cm in, told him no, just faking it till i make it :lol: ) and also splutters occasionally if you give it some. loving the fact that i can accelerate from 80kph to 100kph in fifth gear without much effort which is a nice change from having to kick it back a gear every time i wanted to get to 100kph this century :P

took it for a blat last night and recorded some of my drive, enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IJN1njBL_U

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

That bloody clutch, how does it not drive you crazy, lol
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:lol:
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

But Jason..... I'm already crazy..... :lol:

To be honest it has its on and off days, sometimes it's smooth and has no issues, other times it's horrific, turns out those times are whenever a camera is in the car lol should be fixed with a new assembly soon (A)
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Been out being a photo whore again :P

also the Parts GB got sent away on friday :(
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So while at christmas lunch my Galants came up in conversation, well cars in general really, and i explained my intentions with them, my uncle (who used to have a GD galant back in the day) was saying it would be stupid of me to use the hardtop as a daily, and instead of dropping money into my 4 door i should drop all my money into it as its rare and will also be worth more than a done up sedan, too drunk to remember his exact words but they went something like this "there was less than 1500 of the hardtops made, it would be a shame to make it a daily". then we got off of the topic and kept talking about other cars and what not, meanwhile i was still thinking about the conversation that we had just had, and now i know why i want to spend money on my four door and not the rare and more expensive hardtop. its because my 4 door is rare too, not in the "rare because there isnt many left" way, or because there wasn't many made, its rare because it is mine, it is one of one, you wont find another that is "mine" like this is, i have spent hours cursing at it, driving in it, stuck on the side of the road, modifying it, breaking it and fixing it, it is my car, that i have learnt about and modified, spent silly amounts of money on and done alot of stupid things in. It has become a form of identity for me, i have met alot of awesome people thanks to it, done alot of cool things in it and with it. the end of the day that is why i am going to spend my money on it and not the hardtop.

now i may have just written down a bunch of touchy feely mumbo jumbo (drinking and internet causes that) but i feel i had to put this somewhere to remind myself of why i am doing this in future years when i look back through the old posts of my threads and what not.

Cheers
Sparkington
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Sparkington »

Cars are a love/ hate relationship. So just work on them an enjoy them, when you hit a rough patch dont worry about :) Merry Christmas :D
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

very good to hear that mate! i still can't make my mind up on what to pour the most money into out've four cars... /car problems.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Heavy duty clutch aquired (H)

So after a short cruise on the weekend i pretty much sussed out how bad my clutch is, cruising along at 100kph@3400rpm i planted my foot and the car revved straight up to 4000rpm and just sat there while the car sped up, figured i need to replace it, especially since ive been challenged to some drag races, looks like i have to take on a 3cyl Daihatsu charade and a 1.6 N14 Pulsar :P

so hopefully over the week or so i should have that done, tossing up weather it would be wise to get another rear main seal incase this one is looking pretty sad, but in saying that, the engine has only done 20,000klms since rebuild.

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

so this is now a thing....

Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Well thats a bummer! Strut tops easy enough to get or?
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

standard replacements arent hard to find ive heard, but im going with K-mac adjustables
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So we had a few storms come through this afternoon so seeing as its too low to make it onto the patio for shelter i used other methods :P

Also had a blast cruising/hard parking with some friends the other night in the old girl

That was its last real outing for a while, it is going to spend a weekend or two in the shed.

To do list includes:
- Replace clutch
- replace strut tops
- replace pedal assembly with correct assembly (to save Jason from complaining of my squeeky clutch pedal next time i post a video :lol: )

possibly going to give the front calipers a service as well, noticed my front left has been a little sticky once it gets heated up, so maybe time to put a kit through them

Cheers
A112H

Post by A112H »

Hope you and yours survived the storm okay (H)

:thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

we survived, it just got an extreme wash, rain and wind was so intense i couldnt see it out the front door at first :P

Anyways started on the clutch replacement today, end of the day results are 1 flywheel at the machine shop, one dead clutch on the workshop floor and a very filthy gearbox and excavator bucket.....errr i mean crossmember on the workshop floor :P

Turns out my car was too low to make it in the shed so modified the driveway a little to get in there

Its still good....... i think :lol:

also do you think i jacked it up hgih enough?? :lol:

Cheers
VGJONO
A112H

Post by A112H »

Looking good mate, clutch has a good 7 maybe 8 ks left in it :P
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

sounds like you had a good day! now to get some skids happening ;).
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Got a little bit more done today, was hoping to finish it today but those plans got shot down really fast :(

Got the flywheel back from being machined
also put in a new spigot bearing, old one was pretty stuffed https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

Then it was time to sort out the throwout bearing, then this happened
didnt know that the 5 speed bearing was any different so now i have to wait until tomorrow to get the correct one

Also, how handy is having a 20ton press laying around for this kind of stuff ?? mad it so easy to take out/put in bearings

and this is how i have kept my gearbox oil inside my gearbox :P silly but effective

Cheers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

You have a press??! :o you're my new friend :lol: will have to see how heavy the clutch is.. Or if anyone has an exedy HD part#. I may do mine while its out
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

75glnt wrote:You have a press??! :o you're my new friend :lol:
You mean..... we werent friends before
:lol: :lol: :lol:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:lol: I'm kidding its ok little fella

There there

[*]Image GIFSoup
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

:lol:
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Today was long day of accomplishing nearly nothing, but due to an extreme amount of boredom i am going to do an update of sorts lol :P

Firstly i went on about a 1 hour and 45 minute adventure into Capalaba to pick up the correct throw out bearing, once i got home i popped it in the press and put it onto the slide/housing, then after that fitted it back onto the gearbox

Then i extracted the Pedal setup from the rusty Hardtop i have at the moment, these will replace the set that i modified to fit that were out of a GB galant, they were the cause for the squeekie clutch pedal noises in all of the videos of my car, they also didnt feel the safest under foot and i had many times where i was cruising on the highway and lost all use of the clutch as the pedal had come loose and fallen out :hit:

after all that it was about 5pm and i decided to pack it up, if i had attempted to put the car back together i can guarantee i would still be wrenching on it in the early hours of the morning :lol:
Last edited by VGJONO on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

good progress mate! can never have enough daylight to get it done hey! I'm sitting here eager to get my issue sorted but can't cause have to sleep lol.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'

My projects/cars.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So got into the shed, jacked the car up, put my flywheel back in then went to put the clutch on....... wait whats going on here.... turns out there are two different clutch sizes :banh:
so now i either have to machine up another flywheel (yes i have one to suit that clutch) or i have to exchange the clutch over, both ideas land me on being stuck doing nothing until monday atleast :banh:

in other news i found an exhuast mount had come off of the body while i was rummaging around underneath the car, fixed that, so i guess thats a win of some sorts

Cheers
VGJONO :banh:
pbudge

Post by pbudge »

What happened with that donor GB? I after a panel.