VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
VGJONO

Re: VGJONO's 1976 GD Galant Daily

Post by VGJONO »

Just saying but since 75glnt's wheels that he got for his GB dont fit, maybe he should sell them to me *hint* :P
tried them out for shits and giggles today while i was at his, now i have first dibs if he sells them :P my car would need "MOAR LOW!!!" to suit these wheels though

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Swap ya the black 17s ;)
N/A ALL THE WAY
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

i know im going to be absolutely drilled for this blasphemy....but i'll say it anyway

I think a set of Sigma Turbo whels powder coated black, with a colour coded strip around the edge of the rim would suit the car.......maybe with maroon wheel nuts....or polished alloy/chrome
Built with pride, Driven in anger
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

Those wheels look way better.
Now you can lower it 2 inches and will be sweet.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So these past few weeks ive been working on the GA and haven't been out much in the GD as it has been playing up, well last friday i decided to put an end to it and look into it, and found it was a human error element, and not a faulty carby like i had thought, pretty much the timing was wayyyy out, and the carby wasn't tuned, so i just had to take a deep breath and set everything back to 0 and start again, spent a little while tuning and have gotten it rather drivable, i would try for perfection but i am currently refurbishing a 32/36 DFAV weber to put onto it until i can dump money into my turbo plans. but while i thought it was my original carby i decided to have a look at it and investigate why the secondaries were working incorrectly, sure enough i tested the diaphragm and it couldn't hold vacuum at all, so in the shed i went and grabbed a spare one and whacked it onto the carby, instantly i can notice a major difference in mid to top end power, i can actually put my foot down on the highway and go somewhere without having to shift back a gear.

Got all of this done just in time for me to make the 140klm round trip to Carseldine on the north side of Brisbane for an afternoon meet

Hopefully i should get my 32/36 back from getting its ultrasonic clean tomorrow so i can put it all together and get it onto the car

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So i bit the bullet and gave into the temptation of the Hotwires, swapped 75glnt for them, then got his help to drop in some lowered springs i had laying around.

Last photo to ever be taken of GD V.2

First signs of low :D

All finished and settled in after a test drive (H)

Should have my 32/36 weber back this weekend, apparently the ultrasonic clean has removed an estimated layer of 0.02mm of muck and crap from the carby, apparently it looks like it just came out of the box now.

Cheers
VGJONO (H)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Looks awesome, I do love hotwires. Wish we could get them in 15's and 4x114.3 :(
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

VGJONO wrote: Image
(H)
That, is sexy. I got a soft spot for Hotwires.
:thumpsup:
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:D was expecting updates :P I now know how to replace my struts though :thumpsup:

Bolted my wheels up and I have a little scrubbage on the left front apron. So I'll give it a slight trim :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Thanks guys, 15 inch Hotwires would look sweet on galants, although i dont think i will ever go over a 14 inch rim again unless i found the right set of SSR meshies or something like that.

Had my first decent drive and had no scrubbing issues, took the highway out to a car meet and had no problems then drove back through the suburbs ect. with no problems, only time i have any form of wheel scrubbing issues is when i hit speedbumps too fast or major dips/potholes, which i can deal with.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Awesome! :thumpsup:

How'd the guys at McM take it? :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

They loved it :p they couldn't believe how different it looked, to quote Nathan " it's a completely different car now". Will be even better once I sort out the rear suspension and get a wheel alignment
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Haha wicked :D
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Got the 32/36 weber back, missing a few bits and pieces from it now so i will have to get onto the guy and get him to look for them :\

VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

took her out to a MCM track session today for some happy laps, gave it a flog around the track then had to cruise it, the heat up here today was bad and was getting to it, after it got warm it started spluttering after acceleration through second gear and hitting around 4000rpm in third,

got the last bits and pieces i needed to do up the new carby, I am actually going to take one of the spare manifolds i have laying around, and built it up ready to be put on the car, so i can just unbolt one and bolt on the other, hopefully avoiding issues with fitting everything as i know fitting the carby while the manifold is on the car can be a pain.

Cheers
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

im looking into putting the new carby on in the next week or so, currently i am putting the carby onto a spare manifold i have modified and built up (new high flow thermostat and aftermarket thermostat housing) its actually all sitting on the bench all put together right now, im just waiting on some parts for my Air filter, turns out someone pinched some bits and pieces out of the box of my new air filter preventing me from being able to use it :(

Here is some photos of the manifold, i have used a die-grinder to port match the adapter plate so the air can go through the manifold a little smoother

Cheers
VGJONO
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Nice work with prepping your inlet manifold VG. Have a go at removing the irregularities inside the inlet runners with a flap sander. Anything that can help improve the flow of the air/fuel charge is a win. 8-)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Interested to see how it goes with the centre taken out :)

What parts were ya missing?
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Cheers guys, didn't do any modification to the runners and I only had the one die for the grinder which is quite harsh and when in small areas it can grab in and mess stuff up pretty bad so didn't want to risk it. Also I was missing the clips from the air filter
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Here's a good tip for tidying up things like inlet runners. Get a flexidrive and a small flap sander and hook it up to a power drill (make sure the flap sander will fit into a runner without it being tight). Mount the power drill to a bench and lock the trigger so you can work your way in and out of the inlet runners without trying to hold the drill and everything else in the process (it helps if you can also bolt the manifold down as you'll have more control over what you're doing). While using the flap sander, either add a few drops of water/light machine oil/silicon spray into the inlet runner - this will limit the chance of the flap sander bouncing or grabbing (chewing up whatever you managed to achieve and also the flexidrive chuck from doing the same), allowing more control over the flap sander and will also result in a smoother finish. Not a good pic of the my effort but the best I have - Image
I managed to reach all the way into the manifold plenum in the 2 centre runners but the outers have about 80-90% of the walls dressed. Don't go mental with the sander either, you only want to take out the high spots and sort of smooth out the walls...
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

well i fitted it up today, and it was not the result i was expecting :banh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXB2ZWJQHlk

So as you can see the manifold leaks, thats just the most prominent one, there are a few other leaks (some are my fault) but the major killer is the water journal in the manifold didnt seal and is weeping out of the adaptor plate, im assuming its dribbling into the manifold at high revs as i had lost a little bit of top end power on my initial test drive and noticed it got worse as i got closer to home again. so back out it will come, which is a pain as it means im up for new seals and what not. good thing was i checked the ports while i had the manifold off and they have a near mirror finish on them, now i guess the upside is i can now afford more dies and can have a go at perfecting the manifold a little more in the flow dept.

Cheers
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

The best solution for the water journal under the adaptor plate is just tapping a thread in it and putting in a grub screw. It will never bother you again :)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

And if you're gonna tap it... Tap it to suit a water temp sender :) even if its for later
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Cheers fridgeGB, going to look into that this morning if I can get a moment of clear skies, and 75glnt, I don't that will work since it is directly underneath the carby lol
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Ah ok... So it's not beneath the water port in the manifold then... I'd just keep it on the car... Run it so it starts leaking, mark where it leaking from and weld it up.. Or... If you still have issues. You could use my manifold to see if it fixes it.. Then if it does.. Buy it off me once the cars tuned :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The coolant port in the manifold can't be welded up unless you know someone with a machine shop that can handle refacing it after. The grub screw idea is best to sort the coolant leak issue. 8-)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Or superglue :P haha
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So after closer inspection i found out why it was leaking water, turns out one of the studs from the adapter plate was protruding from the bottom which meant it did not seal correctly, so i have corrected that and re-assembled it and havent had any issues with water so far, now i have to do some messing around with the throttle cable as it seems to be getting sticky meaning the the car wont return to idle at a normal rate, everything is normal until around 2,000rpm and below where it takes a bit long to get down to an idle.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

VGJONO wrote: now i have to do some messing around with the throttle cable as it seems to be getting sticky meaning the the car wont return to idle at a normal rate...
What condition is the throttle return spring in? You might need a beefier or shorter spring to help pull the throttle linkage back onto the throttle stop. Also have a look at where the return spring is anchored to - it could be in a 'goofy' location that isn't allowing the return spring to snap back on the right angle.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Funny you mention the return spring, this thing has a very strange contraption set up for the return spring that works quite effectively, matter of fact has made the throttle a little harder under foot which isnt a bad thing. might need a tougher spring though, although it was quite hard to action the throttle by hand while it was off of the car