Decrepit's 75 Hardtop

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
Decrepit

Decrepit's 75 Hardtop

Post by Decrepit »

I was feeling bored and was browsing the site and realised that I have never posted a pick of my ride, so here it is;

The picture was taken the day I picked it up.
It still looks the same except for some minor detailing.
It has only done 2000Klm since I picked it up and it has spent most of the past year in my garage where I tinker when I get the time.
The VR4 turbo engine was removed and now lives in my son Chris' GH sigma.
I have replaced the rear axle, rear springs (3 leaves), engine (G32B), gearbox (Jap 5 speed), driveshaft, all the steering, "A" arms, etc, etc.
I have restored the tail lights, rustproofed inside bumpers, rebuilt the heater tap (horrid job) and have generally fixed things that needed fixing.
I still need to reassemble the interior and give it a wheel alignment before it goes for a blue slip.
I have also managed to acquire 5 other engines that will fit it in place of the G32B and am in the process of rebuilding a G62B (1.8lt) which I have decided to fit as it should not require engineering and because it came from a 1983 model vehicle I hopefully won't be hassled with too many pollution requirements.
I'll post more current pics when I get it out of the shed.
Randolph.
1974 GC Galant Hardtop (restoration project - Slow)
1975 GC Galant Hardtop VR4Turbo (pulled out and changed back to a G32B - soon to be a G62BT)
1979 LC Lancer Hatch (50% mine) - Orange & Black - G32B (Son's daily)
ddt

Re: Decrepit's 75 Hardtop

Post by ddt »

that is one nice hardtop.
Why did you take out the VR4 engine?
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
A112H

Post by A112H »

Thats is a very nice hardtop. I too am curious why you have done the swap?
Decrepit

Post by Decrepit »

The VR4 came out because;

1 It was fitted approximately 50mm too far forward on custom mounts so that the themostat could clear the firewall.
2 Because the engine was forward, the track rod fouled the bell housing so this was cut away so that the steering could work.
3 Because the engine was mounted forward and the bell housing had been cut away, the track rod hit the ring gear when turning.
4 To stop the track rod hitting the ring gear, the steering and "A" arms had been modified to increase the turning circle.
5 The firewall had been bashed in to clear the thermostat housing and this had damaged the heater unit.

After straightening the firewall, I did fit Starion mounts to the engine and dropped it back in without the thermostat housing. It fitted perfectly but because I wanted a car that my family could drive and could be registered without any hassles, I opted to replace it.

Anyone installing this engine in a Galant, I would recommend relocating the thermostat housing to the front of the engine (Jay Racing Kit) and also fitting a crank trigger ignition system.

Since 1976, I have had about eight galants (Wagons, sedans, auto and manual). The manuals definitely need a 5 speed, the autos were gutless but cruised OK, and really for driveability a little extra power would be nice.

Now that I have the hardtop, I have decided to power it with a 1800 G62B carby and a jap 5 speed. Later on if I think it needs more power, I may fit the DOHC and EFI that I have in the shed (but I don't think so).

I am looking for driveability and reliability with the car not extreme performance.

Randolph
1975 GC Galant Hardtop VR4Turbo (pulled out and changed back to a G32B - soon to be a G62BT)
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

That is a great looking hardtop you have. I remember seeing it for sale and last year and wishing I had the money for it at the time.

Are you sticking with the original carbie from the 4G62?

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Decrepit wrote:I am looking for driveability and reliability with the car not extreme performance.
I know where you are coming from there Randolph.
Well done on the purchase of this coupe (hardtop).

I hope to see this on a cruise one day, h'mmm that reminds me, we are just about ready for another one of those :think:

How long do you think it will be until it is registered?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Very very tidy.
I'm glad to hear youve gone a more original route with the car. Having said that, the N/A 4G63 DOHC I'm running is perfect performance wise. Nice and driveable, quick but far from a handful.

And yeah, they really need a 5 speed. I'm hoping to find one soon.

Hope I get to see this car in the flesh soon.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
Decrepit

Post by Decrepit »

My intention is to use the original carb with the G62B as it was purchased as a running engine (low compression in No 3).
The bottom end has been recoed recently (still has crosshatching in the bores). It has new 1mm oversize pistons fitted. I am replacing the bearings, seals and belts. The head had a burnt valve and worn valve guides so I am swapping the head for one off a starion 4G63.

If I got my finger out I could have it ready for a blue slip with the G32B engine in a couple of days. At the rate of current progress it will probably take a couple of months. If a cruise or something comes up it may give me the incentive to hurry up.

Randolph.
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

If a cruise or something comes up it may give me the incentive to hurry up.
What about the All Jap Day at Silverwater Park in Sydney on the 13th of November?
1976 Galant Hardtop
Decrepit

Post by Decrepit »

Not likely, the next four months are traditionally my busiest period with work.
I am hoping to grab a couple of hours on the long weekend to work on it but I may hold off on the blue slip till I have the new engine in as this will save a return trip to the inspection station to have engine details updated.
I am afraid that I am past the do it quick stage.
Randolph