Dan's SPA57K GD Galant wagon and other Galants

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
rx22nv

Dan's SPA57K GD Galant wagon and other Galants

Post by rx22nv »

Been meaning to do a thread for my Galants for a while now. I have heaps of photos which I'll try and put up.

The Wagon runs a 2.6 Astron, TP magna M2 head, standard rods, ACL Hyperutectic pistons, standard TP magna intake, sigma turbo exhaust, 8x 13b turbo injectors, crank scraper, head studs, copper head gasket and so on.
Powerglide with turbo 400 input shaft and transbrake, dominello converter and custom flex plate, ford 9 inch with billet axles.

It's a whole heap of fun and hope to race it again one day.

10.51@124 and 388rwhp.

GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered
75wagon
Admin

Re: Dan's SPA57K GD Galant wagon and other Galants

Post by 75wagon »

Nice :thumpsup:
When I need to give Galants street rep, it pics of this wagon that I use.

Thanks for starting a new thead, and putting up pics I haven't seen before.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

Here is another galant I have owned for about 12 years now. Runs a 2 litre starion motor. Underneath is painted and detailed and there are stacks of pieces that have been chromed. Its been sitting for about 8 years and would need some work to revive.

rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

75wagon wrote:Nice :thumpsup:
When I need to give Galants street rep, it pics of this wagon that I use.

Thanks for starting a new thead, and putting up pics I haven't seen before.

Dave...

No worries Dave. These photos should help you win some arguments!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

rx22nv wrote:No worries Dave. These photos should help you win some arguments!
Yep they do.
Problems is, I start most of them :lol:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

Hahahah awesome. Stick it to em.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

thats a mad galant wagon. great job. i love the picture with it heading down the drag strip into the sunset.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

this is an awsome wagon..everytime i see the first pic,i cream my jocks... :$ great job buds she is a beauty.
also is that an xy or xw gt you have on the tow truck ?? another beautiful car! :thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

Thanks boys, yeah the sunset photo was a good one. Jambo 2004 there.

The ford is an XW fairmont, done up to look like a gt. its just a rolling shell and a future project. I also have another XY fairmont too, its a complete car with a 351 clevo, c4 and 9 inch. I'll put photos of my other cars up too and maybe some of the past ones.
webby

Post by webby »

Alright, I know we got into a big dust-up because of my opinion about old-school Jap drag cars but I have to admit this:
is cool.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
RUN10W

Post by RUN10W »

i love that wagon SPA57K i used to own a galant wagon anout 10 years ago and have regretted seeling it ever since, its so hard to find another one these days but hopefully i will own another one day. Great work on the wagon has always been a favourite.
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

some awsome cars there
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

Thanks for the comments boys. Hopefully I can get it back on the road one of these days. Racing is a fair way off but I would love to take it to a harrys on the last saturday of the month or attempt a cruise
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

Got her registered a while back but after sitting for so long, the master cyl gave up. Leaked into the booster and all the brakes seized.

Rebuilt the booster, new aftermarket master Cylinder and new pistons and seals in the calipers and off she goes. I decided to get new braided brake hoses as the replacement rubber ones are mega expensive, but the brake shop took 2 months to do it. Also removed all of the stickers. Motor and box seem all good after changing the oil, stem seals might be a bit dry but hopefully they will come good after some running time.

Need to do a few things to turn it back into more of a street car. Maybe some carpet, remove the extra leaves from the rear springs, get it tuned for 98 octane rather than C16, put the normal bonnet back on etc but it's good to drive it again.
natosig

Post by natosig »

That is wicked i bet its good to drive it must be bit of fun on the street with a normal bonet itl be a sweet sleeper
84 gk sigma
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

I can only cruise it around at the moment. It's still tuned on race fuel so it would ping and melt a piston if I gave it any boost. Self control is difficult!

It is pretty quiet so I used to be able to putt around without too much trouble.

Without the grill, no one knows what it is. I usually get people giving me the thumbs up and saying "go the datto!". Clowns hehehe
yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

hahaha ive gotten told i have a nice datto too, haha i just go along with it and dont tell em what it actually is haha
sick wagon man, wouldnt mind seeing under the bonnet of the sedan galant 8-)
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Ugh, the old "nice Datsun" routine :roll: we all get it

It's funny about Galant brakes, when they get parked up for a while the master cylinders always start leaking.

By the way I have a set of un-modified wagon springs that my dad would appreciate me getting out of the shed if you're interested in them.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Tj. wrote:Ugh, the old "nice Datsun" routine :roll: we all get it
happens all the time, if im in no rush ill have a talk with them :P
Actually got told i had a nice "Centura" the other day :P i just let that one slide
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

Dan good to see the wagon is back on the road have you considered a tune on E85 best thing I ever did with my old 4dr and at a dollar a litre you won't find much of a difference if any compared to C16.

Cheers Mic
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

Hey Mic,

Yeah, E85 is the way forward for this car. My Tuner reckons it will make more power on it too.

I'm going to need to re do the fuel system, put some bigger secondary injectors in it, it currently has 8x 13b turbo's.

There is a fair bit of rubber hose in my system so it's probably time to get rid of it and upgrade the pumps while I'm there. Probably around $2k by the time I change everything to AN fittings and teflon braided line and 2x 044's
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

A set of 1000's would see out the stock rods but no scope for more power 1600's would be the go I only had normal braided line and I had no issues but some do. I was having a look at a series6 rx7 that Paul did with all steel lines that would be the way I go with the new car you won't regret the change.

Cheers Mic
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

I've been admiring your wagon for a while now as im a fellow wagon owner. Your sedan looks like a twin of mine!

Strange questions but: whats the rear bumper on your wagon from?? I have that same bumper and I didn't think it was from a colt?
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

Mic, I'm at a crossroads at the moment. I either have to rebuild it with a stronger bottom end or change to something else. I love to fly the flag for the Astron but to go to the next step is going to need some serious cash. I think if I change to E85, and get around to putting the 2 link kit in it, I might scrape in a 9sec pass without too many other changes. If nothing else, at least I can run it at full boost rather than getting robbed paying for C16.

Incorporatedx, I saw your wagon on speedhunters, thought it was great. Love the flares and the no bumpers look. How funny that we have sedans in the same colour too?

The bumper is standard Aussie Galant. I think the Jap cars had the same. Note the number/licence plate lights on the bar instead of the tailgate.
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

Dan you have almost all that you need, a set of rods and pistons is all your bottom end will need then a bigger turbo and injectors and it will be a reliable 9sec car but much further then that you will start having issues with the head but there may be a way to solve that. Don't give up on the old girl yet they are a great motor just need a bit more refining.

Cheers Mic
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

rx22nv wrote:Mic, I'm at a crossroads at the moment. I either have to rebuild it with a stronger bottom end or change to something else. I love to fly the flag for the Astron but to go to the next step is going to need some serious cash. I think if I change to E85, and get around to putting the 2 link kit in it, I might scrape in a 9sec pass without too many other changes. If nothing else, at least I can run it at full boost rather than getting robbed paying for C16.

Incorporatedx, I saw your wagon on speedhunters, thought it was great. Love the flares and the no bumpers look. How funny that we have sedans in the same colour too?

The bumper is standard Aussie Galant. I think the Jap cars had the same. Note the number/licence plate lights on the bar instead of the tailgate.

Thanks for the info and the kind words! means a lot coming from the guy that has what I consider one of the most epic wagons i've see yet.
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

mic_77 wrote:Dan you have almost all that you need, a set of rods and pistons is all your bottom end will need then a bigger turbo and injectors and it will be a reliable 9sec car but much further then that you will start having issues with the head but there may be a way to solve that. Don't give up on the old girl yet they are a great motor just need a bit more refining.

Cheers Mic
Yeah, it's all there, the driveline can handle a fair bit more and I already have a 2 link kit ready to go on. My Block is 60 thou over so that might need a re sleeve, (it already has one sleeve in it from a failure before I had it). I will go talk to Paul when I get stuck. I'd love it to run a solid high 9.

IncorpoRatedX wrote:
rx22nv wrote:Mic, I'm at a crossroads at the moment. I either have to rebuild it with a stronger bottom end or change to something else. I love to fly the flag for the Astron but to go to the next step is going to need some serious cash. I think if I change to E85, and get around to putting the 2 link kit in it, I might scrape in a 9sec pass without too many other changes. If nothing else, at least I can run it at full boost rather than getting robbed paying for C16.

Thanks for the info and the kind words! means a lot coming from the guy that has what I consider one of the most epic wagons i've see yet.
Cheers mate. I do mean it though, I'd love to do a wagon to look like yours, such an awesome trend at the moment.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Hey mate by any chance do you know a bloke named joe whos a mechanic and live in wallacia ?
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

Hi Jordan, Yes I do know Joe. He is my uncle. How do you know him?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Hey do you happen to have any vids of the wagon? Other than the yard vid on YouTube :P

Love to see a 1/4 vid :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY