"ABBY"

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
74GalantGB

"ABBY"

Post by 74GalantGB »

1972 Chrysler/Mitsubishi Valiant Galant, GB

1.4L, 4spd. Saturn.

Christened "ABBY" (Number plate "AB")

59000miles.

Am 3rd owner.
Belonged to an elderly lady, who inherited it from her father, who had it from new.

Pictures coming soon; interior photos coming tomorrow.
'74 GB.

R.I.P ALF; my darling little car. You never had a fault in/on you. ~ </3

Definition: "Shim"; being a supreme being of awesomeness which is neither male nor female but walks among both worlds as it pleases.

<.* Yes, I'm an idiot. Get over it. :) *.>
Tj.

Re: "ABBY"

Post by Tj. »

Unreal! :thumpsup:
Is it still registered and on the road?
Can't wait to see some photos
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

Not the greatest photo ever, but.... My new Gal, and I... Image

ALF and ABBY
'74 GB.

Definition: "Shim"; being a supreme being of awesomeness which is neither male nor female but walks among both worlds as it pleases.

74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

Tj. wrote:Unreal! :thumpsup:
Is it still registered and on the road?
Can't wait to see some photos
Yep.. Rego'd til Dec :)

A few dings in her (cant realy see them in photos). Looks better in photos than actually is, in fact... but I'm just thrilled to have a Gal again :)
'74 GB.

webby

Post by webby »

Is that a crease in the left hand front guard?
Looks really tidy, nice pickup :thumpsup:
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

Yeah, couple of little dings in her... =/
'74 GB.

74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

'74 GB.

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That's great news.
I'm really glad for you. :)

Will you be taking any extra precautions with this one? Alarm/immobiliser, or garage maybe?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

Good news!
Couldn't go to a better home!
71 GA Galant - Project
Build thread is here: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5600
ddt

Post by ddt »

wow, nice find. Good to hear you are happy and "galant-ed" once again! :D
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

nice ride..i see alot of galants in this colour,it is a common colour?
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Shite-brown was a popular colour on a lot of cars in the 70's. Kinda like silver and grey are now.

She looks straight as an arrow! Its great to see there's some survivors out there still
Any plans at all for it?
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

She's gonna get ALF-ed.
The motor and gbox etc that I had in ALF will go in her.
Shockers need fixing.
Brakes REALLY need fixing, rofl. They are basically non-existent.
Needs a new brake booster... Got one off the Lancer up the back for ALF, but that booster is now destroyed =/ ...
ALFs mags are gonna go on her, if they are alright (dad hasn't had a chance to check them over yet).

Alarm and immobiliser are on it now... dad took care of that straight away. :) - And it won't be getting parked under the tree in town at night (where ALF was when he got stolen), it's going to be up the driveway, with Bens mothers van behind it, a commodore on one side of it, and a Gemini on the other side of it. ^_^

I usually see yellow or green Gals. o.o ALF and ABBY are the first (and only) brown ones I've seen.
Although, the parts car I have down the back used to be brown but was painted dull flat black... o.o Looked crap ha.

I'm just about to head out and give her a polish (if I can find the polish!!) :)
'74 GB.

74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

So, I didn't polish her today :P Dad can't find the polish - sigh! But I gave her a scrub... =) OK, more photos!!

(looks like it sticks out, but it's a dint..)

Missing pasenger panel badge: Image

Driver/Passenger doors: Image

(photo's taken before wash:)

INTERIOR!!!

Steering wheel cover, is going to GO!! >.< also, need badge for centre of wheel?

Need clippy bits for seatbelt holders? Or just retractables...?

Rear parcel shelf:
Backseat:

Carpet is a tad faded:

Pedals >.< Cos I can. Lol.

Door cards are great :) Image
'74 GB.

davetrees

Post by davetrees »

74GalantGB wrote:Needs a new brake booster
Why ? They didn't have boosted brakes standard, and if it's running the original master cylinder it probably doesn't need one anyway ?

Looks like a great little car :thumpsup:
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

The brakes pretty much don't exist o.o well, that's how it seems, lol.
'74 GB.

astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

why are you going to butcher it up and change the engine and put a booster on it????? nothing wrong with a saturn and a non boosted braking system.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

That must be one of the first gb's. My 2nd GA is a 72 and has the same interior. Yours also has the mph dash which is weird cause my 72 ga has kph.

Looks like a good find! :thumpsup:
71 GA Galant - Project
Build thread is here: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5600
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

72 ga has kph
If you look closely, I think you'll find that the dual mph/kph speedo is actually a sticker on the face of the speedo. Even the very late GBs (mine's a March 74) still had the mph speedo ... but the dual-marked stickers to go on the face were available as an accessory. The GA I'm wrecking has one on it too.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

74GalantGB wrote:The brakes pretty much don't exist o.o well, that's how it seems, lol.
A booster won't fix bad brakes .... it just reduces the pedal pressure (and gives you less feel IMHO). Galants really don't need a booster.

Rebuild the calipers (kits are still available from PBR, and cheap), put good pads on it, replace the rear wheel cylinders, and if necessary rebuild the master cylinder. Replacing the front brake hoses is a good idea too. You'll be surprised at the improvement.

Is yours a drum or disc front ?

If you do decide to put a booster on it, you'll probably want to use the later model (GC/GD) calipers, discs & master cylinder as well - they are designed to work as a package. GC/GD/Lancer front discs are readily available new ... unlike GA/GB ones which are NLA.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

davetrees wrote:A booster won't fix bad brakes .... it just reduces the pedal pressure (and gives you less feel IMHO). Galants really don't need a booster.

Rebuild the calipers (kits are still available from PBR, and cheap), put good pads on it, replace the rear wheel cylinders, and if necessary rebuild the master cylinder. Replacing the front brake hoses is a good idea too. You'll be surprised at the improvement.
Agreed.
My wagon doesn't have a booster and it pulls up really well.
davetrees wrote:Is yours a drum or disc front ?
I'd be curious to hear this too.
Drums are under rated IMHO, drum brakes that are fully functional and in good condition work very well and well up to the job of stopping a street driven 1.6. If it was for racing purposes then I would go for discs.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

astronturbo77 wrote:why are you going to butcher it up and change the engine and put a booster on it????? nothing wrong with a saturn and a non boosted braking system.
I want it to be ALF. It's gonna be pretty much all original exterior and interior... just a little bit hotted up under the bonnet. 2.0L... Nothing outrageous... and 2" exhaust system, for the sound. =DDD

That must be one of the first gb's. My 2nd GA is a 72 and has the same interior. Yours also has the mph dash which is weird cause my 72 ga has kph.
ALF was a '74, and still had miles... the lady who owned ABBY had "50, 60, 80, 110" in kph on this one... which annoys me, cos I prefer the original look (all miles), but meh, I guess it's handy...

Is yours a drum or disc front ?
Drum, i think. Whichever the bad one of the two is :P lol... Dad is gonna put discs on... plus the booster. :) did the same with ALF, and made a huuuuge difference. :)

Drums are under rated IMHO, drum brakes that are fully functional and in good condition work very well and well up to the job of stopping a street driven 1.6. If it was for racing purposes then I would go for discs.
You'd think I was racing, if you saw me driving ;-) hehe. :P
'74 GB.

81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

What the ???? Have you Tasmanians got a stash of mad as stock galants down there :|

Looks the goods! :thumpsup:

...to the brake debate lol. I remember when I first got the GD with un-boosted brakes... yeah they may have a good feel, and work fine with enough pressure; but I'm glad it's now boosted :lol: (yes... I've got girly chicken legs). Just makes it easier to live with if your driving it on a daily basis - especially with all those hills you have where you live.

Good luck with it!
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

So cool (H)
Love it :thumpsup:
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

I'm used to the brakes now, but yeah... brakes can never be TOO good... lol... Especially driving in Launy o.o idiots that pull out in front of ya... geeez... so yeah, better brakes would be great...

Oh, ABBY almost got swiped today, by some dick in a BMW... came flying around the corner of the parking lot, had to swerve around me... i thought he hit me, was waiting for the noise... but must have missed me by an inch... stupid idiot... woulda been drivin at about 50/60k IN the parking lot... :facepalm: scared the shit outta me. then he took off out onto the road; didnt even look for traffic... flew up the street... I was like, wtf... o.o

Oh, the alarm on this car scares the absolute crap outta ya when activated, too... :P I've set it off once... was half asleep, went out to the car, unlocked the door, yawned, started to open it and *bbbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppp!!!*... o.o nearly died, rofl.
'74 GB.

74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

The new mags... :)

Ain't she saaaa-weeeet!!?

Oops, I sorta kinda maybe left a mark on the driveway o.o tehe
'74 GB.

webby

Post by webby »

Nice. Needs to be lower :)
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

Nice. Needs to be lower :)
Noooooo !!! o.o
I don't like low >.<
'74 GB.

geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I kinda had a feeling you'd get your hands on another GB sedan- it's a karmic thing... Abby's in brilliant shape, maybe better than Alf (may you rest in peace). Very nice! Wonder how it'd go with a set of trick bike carbs on it? :thumpsup:
74GalantGB

Post by 74GalantGB »

She's not in as good shape as ALF... she has dints and scratches and even some rust... ALF had zero dints... and the only rust he had was the size of a 10c piece and you couldnt see that until after he was burnt! but am slowly saving up for the whole body works thing! :) May take a while, but it's gonna happen :)
'74 GB.